Detent in the steering. - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
jam

Detent in the steering.

11,000km and there is a detent in the steering. If I turn the handle bar I'll notice that it will tend to stick to centre. I don't do wheelies. This seems early..?.. warranty issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 AM

Are you sure the bike is still in warranty?
If it is, only an inspection at an authorized Honda service center would be able to say. They could also evaluate the situation.
It could be that the grease hardened prematurely and they simply need to be cleaned. But once you are in there you can quickly tell if anything needs replacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
post #3 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
Are you sure the bike is still in warranty?
If it is, only an inspection at an authorized Honda service center would be able to say. They could also evaluate the situation.
It could be that the grease hardened prematurely and they simply need to be cleaned. But once you are in there you can quickly tell if anything needs replacing.
Yes it's in warranty. Wouldn't an inspection actually cost me hundreds in service?

post #4 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Call them.
Just make sure you are wearing plenty of gear if you ride the bike the way it is.

(no affilliation)
post #5 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam View Post
Yes it's in warranty. Wouldn't an inspection actually cost me hundreds in service?
Not sure i buy the dried grease theory. If the head bearings are shot and its in warranty, the repair is free. If you wait til after the warranty, you pay for everything.

Show the dealer service guy what you are feeling and see if they can feel the same detent or flat spot. They can advise what's best.

Last edited by Deanohh; 03-04-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Garage
It cost $35 to have a warranty inspection.

If nothing is found wrong under warranty you pay the $35
If they find something wrong under warranty it's free and you don't pay the $35 inspection fee.

Different in different area's I bet, but yeah it's around that much for an inspection for warranty issue around here.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
11,000km and there is a detent in the steering. If I turn the handle bar I'll notice that it will tend to stick to centre. I don't do wheelies. This seems early..?.. warranty issue?
Sounds like you have a damaged steering head bearing. One possibility is that this could have been caused by a lack of adequate grease when the bike was built, which would be considered a warrantable 'defect due to workmanship' issue.

Another possibility is that the steering head bearing preload became loose over the course of the 11,000km, causing wear to one or more of the rollers. This scenario may be a gray area as far as being covered under warranty, as inspecting and adjusting steering head bearing preload is considered to be a regular scheduled maintenance item.

Yet another possibility is that dirt or water found its way into the bearings, in which case I'd think it would take the force of a high pressure power washer to do that... not likely to be covered under warranty.

Only one way to find out if this issue is covered under warranty, and that is to take the bike in to a Honda dealer. Either way, you need to get this taken care of... the bike will only become more unsafe to ride if this problem isn't addressed.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrethul View Post
It cost $35 to have a warranty inspection.

If nothing is found wrong under warranty you pay the $35
If they find something wrong under warranty it's free and you don't pay the $35 inspection fee.

Different in different area's I bet, but yeah it's around that much for an inspection for warranty issue around here.
As far as I know, this "$35 warranty inspection fee" is not a Honda Policy, nor is it universal among dealers... sounds like it's a policy of the particular dealership that you've been taking your bike to.

In any case it seems the OP is not located in the U.S. (he stated his mileage in km's), so he may have very different warranty terms in his country.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 03-04-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarification
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
jam

Well, if it matters the bike was tipped over by a vandal, but limited damage which was fixed. After that I did a inspection myself and everything was in top shape at about 7000km. I lifted the bike up with a jack and checked that the steering moved freely and it did at 7000km. It is a problem that has only come up in the past couple weeks or so.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Well, if it matters the bike was tipped over by a vandal, but limited damage which was fixed. After that I did a inspection myself and everything was in top shape at about 7000km. I lifted the bike up with a jack and checked that the steering moved freely and it did at 7000km. It is a problem that has only come up in the past couple weeks or so.
it moved freely but did you grab the lower legs and try to shake them to see if the steering was loose? Btw, I don't see how the bike falling over could do anything to the head bearings. Just take it in to the Honda warranty shop and report that it started doing it and it needs to be fixed under warranty.... Its not up to you to analyze it to death. They are supposed to be the experts.

so lets say the bearings are loose and adjusting them fixes the problem. That IS service and chargeable to you.

Last edited by Deanohh; 03-04-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page