O-ring split - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

O-ring split

I've had a new ek chain along with a new set of sprockets fitted to the bike less than 1000 kms. Today, as I was examining the chain and measuring slack, I noticed one of the o-rings on the master link hanging off. My local shop won't have a replacement master link for a week and a half. My question is whether I should pull the hanging o-ring out? Leave it half wedged between the plates? Ride like normal or avoid riding and source a replacement link sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
There must be a reason why its spat the Oring out,
so don't ride it till you get the correct EK masterlink that matches the Chains part number, and is fitted correctly.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM

This may be a silly suggestion but I did talk with a rider yesterday who was happy to say that they never have oiled or waxed their chain. :-(
I use wax on mine which is clear and does not spray all over the back rim. Being applied after a reasonable ride so that the chain is warm and the wax flows around the oring.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it is a lack of lubricant that caused it to snap as the chain hasn't come close to running dry. I had it installed by a shop because I've just moved house and no longer have access to the plethora of tools made available by my old house mate. The chain itself is still got a nice coating of lube from the initial installation at the workshop a week ago. I'm sourcing a new master link today and will replace it. I am at a loss as to what has caused it to break. I lost an o-ring on the OE chain which prompted me to get it replaced in the first place (changing the front sprocket to a 13T was a bonus). Clearly there is an issue somewhere to have this problem repeated. Alignment maybe? I'm at a loss for ideas. Hopefully the Honda service center has some insight.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Misalignment, chain tension, a bad tooth I assume your not doing wheelies or burn outs but if you are that is a reason. Honestly one is a bad chain 2 something else is more then likely the issue or just crappy luck.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 PM

usually that would happen if they pressed the side plate of the master link too far onto the pins which would squeeze the orings of the master link more than the other links. If you could measure the overall width of the master link plates, it should be the same as the rest of the links.... Within maybe .003in. or the thickness of a sheet of paper.

or if the orings were assembled on the master without grease. If assembled dry, the orings are compressrd and it is very difficult to get grease between plate and oring after that and would be torn as the links move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deanohh For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (03-12-2014)
post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
if its happened within a week [perhaps before
you noticed it] contact installer now for advice..
whatever their response, to liability etc,
at least you'll get some information..
perhaps as to product defect/fault etc..

not worth risking further damage here..
post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanohh View Post
usually that would happen if they pressed the side plate of the master link too far onto the pins which would squeeze the orings of the master link more than the other links. If you could measure the overall width of the master link plates, it should be the same as the rest of the links.... Within maybe .003in. or the thickness of a sheet of paper.

or if the orings were assembled on the master without grease. If assembled dry, the orings are compressrd and it is very difficult to get grease between plate and oring after that and would be torn as the links move.
Adding to what Deanohh has said, that o-ring could have been damaged during installation... as in nicked or cut when the master link was being pressed together. Or, the o-ring could have been defective from the factory.

Considering that the chain was installed just a week ago, I would think that the shop that installed the new chain should be inclined to stand behind their work, and replace the master link for you at no charge.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #9 of 9 Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

I talked to the workshop owner who was happy to order a replacement and install it at no charge. The verdict was that the plates were indeed pressed too far onto the pins. Thanks to all for the insight. Much appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aus Rider For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (03-14-2014), shisoshin (03-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page