Burning smell - Page 6 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Whatever dude. Now you are back pedaling.
I remembered one more example posted here that I wanted to cite before concluding my input on the topic of why instructor types should be more careful what they say about practicing slipping the clutch over and over again for too much time and never mentioning the possibility of heat build up. Most average people are completely mechanically naive. I see this everyday at work. Doctors that don't know how to open their hood.
I don't hold it against this guy and hope he doesn't think I am picking on him but it just shows that many new riders don't know any better unless someone teaches them how a bike works.
https://www.cbr250.net/forum/48497-post516.html
"Hi all: my first post here as well. I have had this same problem since before I reached the 1k service. I brought it in to Peter Stevens where I bought the bike (Melbourne CBD) and was told they couldn't replicate the problem. Riding home it happened to me the same day a couple times. Since its my first bike I accepted their view, operator error. So, I kept riding and it got worse so I brought it back again after 4k and got the same response. The advice I got, make sure to keep the revs up. So, I then start riding making sure that in any given gear I have at least 5 and preferably 7k and stop coasting pretty much altogether. Still the bike kept stalling and finally I brought it in
and apparently I've now since cooked the clutch and according to them, this is all my fault. No mention of any kind of possible manufacturer problem has been brought up at all. So now I'm going to have to eat a $700 clutch replacement
which, I imagine, is still not going to fix the problem. Does anyone have contact details of a Honda rep who has at least acknowledged a problem exists? I'm supposed to pick the bike up on Saturday and if this is due to my poor riding because of bad advice then I'm really pretty upset about it. This forum is now 52 pp long with large numbers of people reporting the same issue. They've got to acknowledge this at some stage."
I'm not going to flog a dead horse, anyone who has read my posts will understand what I'm saying, there's no back peddling, they can agree or not. I've ridden this way for years and never had to buy a clutch, people can do whatever they want. Anyone who believes they will fry a clutch in two seconds by using the friction zone is pretty gullible and that would include you.

You're above example has no bearing on our discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 AM

i got a burning pungent smell of crackers,filling from a petrol station out of town.
I changed all the fuel to my dad's activa-honda gearless and filled mine up from a different pump. It worked. No smell eversince.

And the bike had a heaten up iron smell till first 500kms,especialy when fan runs.now no smell-2100kms only heat
post #53 of 59 Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliz View Post
I'm not going to flog a dead horse, anyone who has read my posts will understand what I'm saying, there's no back peddling, they can agree or not. I've ridden this way for years and never had to buy a clutch, people can do whatever they want. Anyone who believes they will fry a clutch in two seconds by using the friction zone is pretty gullible and that would include you.

You're above example has no bearing on our discussion.
The horse won't die. It keeps getting up. And changing it's story. And now it has resorted to calling people names. Problem is, you weren't telling people to slip the clutch for two seconds. You were condoning an hour long parking lot session of learning how to find the friction zone. Which the guy in the first example I posted did. Which fried his clutch. In the third link I quoted, the person was told by the dealer to ride the throttle all the time to keep the bike from stalling. And keep the revs up, between 5-7,000 rpm. Which he did by slipping the clutch. Which fried his clutch. I hope from now on in your instruction you will include a brief mention of how the clutch works by generating heat and warn your students so they won't ruin their brand new bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sendler; 05-21-2012 at 07:32 AM.

post #54 of 59 Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Oh wow, i'm really surprised at the heated discussions on this topic! Thanks everyone for their advice, I guess everyone has had different experiences and it's all down to how u ride.

I've stalled my bike a number of times (being a noob) but I highly doubt that I've burnt my clutch as I don't feel like it's slipping even under hard acceleration.

Come to a think of it, most of the smell comes from the front of bike (i.e. the radiator), and during my last slow speed practice, I noticed that the fan came on for the first time when I've only been doing low speed riding.

I guess I'll keep riding it for a while before I decide whether it's a real problem or not.
post #55 of 59 Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifer View Post
I guess I'll keep riding it for a while before I decide whether it's a real problem or not.
It's probably just hot bike smell. Sorry for the thread jack. I should have started a new thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 59 Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It's probably just hot bike smell. Sorry for the thread jack. I should have started a new thread.
Haha no worries mate, glad to hear everyone's opinion
post #57 of 59 Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 PM

I had this same thing happen. I smelt it at a stoplight on the way to school, and I thought I might have an oil leak and it was burning off on my header. I got paranoid and pulled over, inspected everything, and saw nothing. I think it's just the bike's smell. Like every woman, they all have a unique twang...
post #58 of 59 Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM

I stalled my bike yesterday, first time that's happened in a long time haha. Sitting at a set of lights on a 5-way intersection, miscalculated when my set of lights were going green and I shifted down to 1st, then kicked it too hard up to 2nd and let the clutch out = stall :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
This thread could have been called MILPD or Motorcycles I'd Like to Plasti Dip
From
:
If it was up to me, every motorcyclist that ends up donating his organs though no fault of his own should be matched by the enforced confiscation of the organs of the idiot that ran him over.

post #59 of 59 Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
I think it's just the bike's smell. Like every woman, they all have a unique twang...
and some bikes "twang" ..is worse than others :P lol

I DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING I READ AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT I SEE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page