Battery drain? - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-15-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
Seems a little low at idle. Unless of course the battery is a little low. It should be around 13-13.2 fully charged. Charging voltages aren't specified for a particular range, but ~13 for the fully charged battery (and assuming around there at idle), and a maximum charging voltage of 15.5V at 5k RPM. Sounds like the battery just needs a bit of a charge.
It's been sitting for 2 months off a tender and the only chance it had to charge was my 5 min ride so could be low.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 PM

The voltmeter could be off as well, quality on the tools is certainly going down unless you're talking a Fluke or other high end unit. The checks are battery with engine off, then voltage at batt at 3k - 5krpm. If you're seeing a 1.7 to 2v difference, you're in the range of being good. That's a ballpark, highbeams, electric clothing, aux lights, etc can lower that a bit.

It's best for the battery to let it sit on the tender when not in use.

-Eric
Current stable: '72 GT750, '74 GT750x2, '75 GT750, '82 MB-5, '85 CMX250CD, '12 CBR250R, '14 Spyder RT-S
post #13 of 21 Old 07-15-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokerider View Post
The voltmeter could be off as well, quality on the tools is certainly going down unless you're talking a Fluke or other high end unit. The checks are battery with engine off, then voltage at batt at 3k - 5krpm. If you're seeing a 1.7 to 2v difference, you're in the range of being good. That's a ballpark, highbeams, electric clothing, aux lights, etc can lower that a bit.

It's best for the battery to let it sit on the tender when not in use.
Thanks, than my readings sound about right. I was using a 3 year old volt meter (only tells volts) I got off ebay. So could be off for all I know.

I really didn't have much say in how it was stored because of my accident. I'm just thankful it was in a safe place rather than it sitting outside my apartment for those 2 months.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill

post #14 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bike was working fine for 3 days than battery died. I think I have a loose wire or a short somewhere. Can anyone point me in a direction to look?

post #15 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 PM

Check your grounds and your voltage regulator. Start with the battery connections and moving outwards, looking for any part of the circuit pulling current with the key off.
isaacm12 likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbrlocal For This Useful Post:
isaacm12 (07-19-2015)
post #16 of 21 Old 07-19-2015, 11:22 PM
etk

I've been almost actively trying to kill my (2012) battery and haven't. I've not put a tender on it once (Chicago winters ), and I've left the lights on over night at least 4-5 times, push start it and it's fine; holds a charge right away. Not sure if mine is a fluke, but I'm imagining it doesn't take much to turn over that little 250, so the OEM battery is probably overkill. I'd think the batteries should last fine through a few deep discharges fine...which means I can't justify a LI-ION
post #17 of 21 Old 07-24-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dead/dying stator. Not charging plus the resistance on the plug was all over the place.
And readings were fine for the r/r according to the shop manual.
Unless anyone tells me otherwise I'm going with the stator.

post #18 of 21 Old 07-24-2015, 02:57 PM

I had a GPS wired directly to the battery and it drained it completely. I now have it on a switched circuit and haven't had a problem since.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-25-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhilliard View Post
I had a GPS wired directly to the battery and it drained it completely. I now have it on a switched circuit and haven't had a problem since.
Current leakage was fine plus nothing is hooked up to the battery expect the bike.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
i also left key in o'night 2 or 3 times in 3 yrs
clutch starting each time - and for a few days
to avoid stress til charged - resulting in full
or functional one press starts every time..
no battery tender or charger.. [no testing]
all she ever has was daily riding..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page