Another Bike wont start.. Different I swear ;) - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Another Bike wont start.. Different I swear ;)

My 2013 Cbr250r was stolen , all locks punched, 3000km extra on it. Tape to seal the gas tank... screw driver to start and zip tie to open seat. I got the bike back 2 years later, and it started and rode decent, half a tank of gas. I got it dropped of at home, and started the tear down, Ive replaced all locks, new ignition, new used gas tank with fuelpump, After replacing all parts with exact same parts, the bike wont crank over, ive removed the gas tank and turned the key on, the injector primes with or without the tank and pump installed, i hooked up a hose to the tank and turned bike on, cranked .. No fuel leaving the gas tank.. so i removed tank again, and its bone dry in the pump nozzle but there is tons of gas before and after the filter.. right before i swapped my tank and fuel filter it started first try, Is this a bad fuel pump, no power getting to the fuel pump? I believe my gas level indicator hasnt reset from previous tanks gas level. And yes ive checked all fuses and main fuses, also swapped fuses in case.Battery Freshly Charged too, Not 100% sure if i checked the correct Relay for the fuel pump.. Im a bull in a china shop.. not good with the little things..wires and crap... wrenches are my deal

U READY TO RIDE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 PM

Use a test light or meter to confirm power at the pump.

That should tell you if the pump is bad.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Would I be checking for power at the wiring clip that goes into the pump? Ill pick up a test light tomorrow and see what i can do,

U READY TO RIDE!

post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 AM

Just a late night thought (maybe stupid and I will go back to sleep) but fuel filters are usually directional.
Could have you put the fuel filter on backwards ?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 AM

I doubt, that the filter is the problem.
But in case of using a old filter, and put this backwards in, the pump could be clogged, now.
It wouldn't be a good idea, to clean the filter inside the fuel system.
Imho that's why they have a "flow" direction.
In the main!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCob View Post
Would I be checking for power at the wiring clip that goes into the pump? Ill pick up a test light tomorrow and see what i can do,
I'm not certain of the exact layout, but basically you are grounding the clip of the test light to a bare spot or bolt on the frame and using the probe to check for power at the connector.

A multimeter will also do the same thing.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 PM

If the pump is heard to be priming, it's getting juice. I'm assuming that's what you mean when you say the injector is priming. If the pump primes, and there's no flow of fuel, the pump is likely shot, or there's a blockage. Usually when the pump goes, you won't hear the prime buzz. Try blowing compressed air through the filter, and if there's flow there, you can remove the pump housing from the tank and pull the pump from it's harness/housing and check internally for blockages. I believe there's a screen in the pump housing itself IIRC from when I rebuilt one.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

When u turn ur bike on and u hear the Buzz in the tank.. everyone says the pump is priming.. but the injector or something beside that also does that which is directly below the tank.. If i dont have the tank/pump installed and i turn on the switch the injectors buzz.. and when i plug the tank in, i dont hear any difference in the buzz.. The fuel filter came installed on the Used tank with the everything stock.. and I took off the hoses to the filter and fuel is flowing. just not out the Last plastic port of the pump going to the injector itself, The tank was shipped to me Bone dry, No noted damages. My Bike turned over Before I swapped out my damaged tank, which i was dumb and didnt keep the pump... Lol I will be using a test light today to see if the clip is providing power, which i believe it is, and the used pump i bought is most likely shot. If there is power to the pump, ill be removing it from the tank for inspection/replacement, Thanks for the help! anything else u guys think up would be great! BRAIN STORM POWER! ;p

U READY TO RIDE!
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I used a test light on the clip going into fuel pump, Never found power even using a small pin to install for better contact. I Believe the fuel pump relay is near headlight harness, I pulled it out of its harness, and tested the clip and found 1 wire of power, I reconnected everything, This time, I could hear the Pump priming And the Buzz from under.. I primed the pump about 15 times by turning the kill switch on and off, After 10x cranks it fired and died, Next fire she was alive.. Idles smooth and warmed up to normal temp.. She fires first try every time now! Should I be looking into a new relay soon? Random fluke? Would hate for this to happen while riding, after a random stop. Again Thanks for all the help! Im so happy I didnt buy more parts and I can finally ride again after 2 years of waiting!

U READY TO RIDE!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCob View Post
I used a test light on the clip going into fuel pump, Never found power even using a small pin to install for better contact. I Believe the fuel pump relay is near headlight harness, I pulled it out of its harness, and tested the clip and found 1 wire of power, I reconnected everything, This time, I could hear the Pump priming And the Buzz from under.. I primed the pump about 15 times by turning the kill switch on and off, After 10x cranks it fired and died, Next fire she was alive.. Idles smooth and warmed up to normal temp.. She fires first try every time now! Should I be looking into a new relay soon? Random fluke? Would hate for this to happen while riding, after a random stop. Again Thanks for all the help! Im so happy I didnt buy more parts and I can finally ride again after 2 years of waiting!
Good to hear!

It could be a bad relay, or it could have worked loose or just had a bad connection. You could use a little dielectric grease on the prongs of the relay to improve the connection. Look for any signs of corrosion on the relay and the plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page