Battery Sudden Death? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Battery Sudden Death?

Black CBR 250 2011 ABS with approx 27,000km and original battery.

I have a strange issue. This morning my bike started with the first push of the starter as usual. I rode to a town "A" about 25 km away to pick up some papers and discuss a few things with the guy there. After that the bike started with the first push of the button. Rode to a different town "B" about 50 km away and stopped on the way at my home to drink something (it's directly along the route so it was 25 km back again and another 25 km to town "B") to deliver those papers for processing by another institute. The bike started up at the first push of the button right after I left my home and when I departed from Town "B". I rode 25 km home, ate lunch, completed some more paperwork and wanted to bring the now complete paper stuff back to Town "A" to be finally done with it (us Germans sure love our paperwork...) but this time the bike booted up normally but at the push of the starter button everything went dark with a quiet "click".

I've put the battery on a charger now and it showed only 0.8A and 12.something Volts. How did that happen so quickly without any warning at the prior start ups?

Does it still make sense to charge the battery or should I go for a new one?

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Not unusual.

I've had a car battery fail 1/2 mile from my house. Drove it to the store, shopped for 15 minutes, came out - completely dead. Not even a dome light.

Just get a new one. There are tons of cheapies out there, but I always go with Yausa if I plan to have the cycle for any length of time.
MotoMike and Schroeder like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Black CBR 250 2011 ABS with approx 27,000km and original battery.

I have a strange issue. This morning my bike started with the first push of the starter as usual. I rode to a town "A" about 25 km away to pick up some papers and discuss a few things with the guy there. After that the bike started with the first push of the button. Rode to a different town "B" about 50 km away and stopped on the way at my home to drink something (it's directly along the route so it was 25 km back again and another 25 km to town "B") to deliver those papers for processing by another institute. The bike started up at the first push of the button right after I left my home and when I departed from Town "B". I rode 25 km home, ate lunch, completed some more paperwork and wanted to bring the now complete paper stuff back to Town "A" to be finally done with it (us Germans sure love our paperwork...) but this time the bike booted up normally but at the push of the starter button everything went dark with a quiet "click".

I've put the battery on a charger now and it showed only 0.8A and 12.something Volts. How did that happen so quickly without any warning at the prior start ups?

Does it still make sense to charge the battery or should I go for a new one?
Have to say this part of your story is very mysterious and intriguing, cloak and dagger stuff... you know, I had a feeling that you were an International Man of Mystery.

Did you pick up those papers in a dark, unlit corner of an underground parking garage somewhere in Berlin (Berlin just sounds good)? Or was it a small village somewhere in Bavaria?

This man you met with in town "A", did he wear a gray trench coat, with the collar turned up? I'll bet he looked just like Max Von Sydow.

As for your battery, that's pretty mundane. Sounds like it simply gave up the ghost. Get a new one.

Schroeder likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 05-19-2016 at 11:02 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies I think I'll get a new battery then. I was just perplexed that it went from no problem to dead within a few minutes.
@Mike
Just the normal "make person X disappear" kind of documents that have to be distributed and signed by field agents. What was your address again?

Last edited by Schroeder; 05-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
I'm hearing the Mission Impossible Theme in my head reading this lol

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 06:10 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
did you try clutch starting it [?]

[perhaps another agent planted some device in it,,
lucky you caught it before it went off]...
post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM

It just suddenly died huh? After reading that, I'm sure its not first thing to suddenly die around you. hehe.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisoshin View Post
did you try clutch starting it [?]

[perhaps another agent planted some device in it,,
lucky you caught it before it went off]...
I haven't tried to clutch start it yet. I'm not sure I could push it up the hill I live on again if it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNutZ View Post
It just suddenly died huh? After reading that, I'm sure its not first thing to suddenly die around you. hehe.
You know too much...that's not good for your health you know....

post #9 of 12 Old 05-28-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Update.

It really was the battery. Bike starts up again.
shisoshin likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 PM

Garage
I'm glad that your problem was easily resolved. 5 years is getting old for a small motorcycle battery. I'm happy if I get more than 36 months service out of my batteries, but, Arizona is pretty brutal on batteries.
Schroeder likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page