key won't unlock ignition - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_47 View Post
Just a thought, you have to push down on the key to release the steering lock, but if you continue pushing down after that point, the key will not turn on the ignition.
I am pushing down when I try to get the key to release. I had problems with this on and off, but today is the first day it has been this bad.

I also dont push down that I realize of when I turn it on and all the lights lite up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforce4 View Post
Unless the key is broke off in the ignition I would say it is definitely a warranty item, and should not cost you anything. Have you had the bike more than a year? Do you have extended warranty?
No both keys are fine. When I couldn't get it to unlock the ignition at first, I look at both of my keys and I didn't see nothing wrong with them. I only have had the bike for less then 3 months, I brought it new in the middle of June and the Bike has 1,514 miles on it as of now.

I did buy the extended warranty, I remember the Finance lady saying something about a deductible on my warranty, I guess that was for the extended warranty then.

I would hate to have to fork over 100 dollars for the warranty when the bike is brand new to get my bike fixed for something like this . It would be one thing if I did it but I know both keys are fine but even at that, A key shouldn't break in the ignition , unless one of the two are made cheaply.

I drive a car, school buses, coach buses etc. I know how to use a key in a ignition lol.

Well I guess it looks like my bike is going to the dealer monday.

Last edited by 5005; 08-18-2012 at 09:33 PM.
post #13 of 39 Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyapb1071 View Post
thanks Jsonder. I will try that if I ever get the key to release from the ignition. I brought this brand because of Honda quality, so this is really not good. My Motorcycle only has 1500 miles on it as if this writing. I can leave the key in the ignition for now since I lock it in my shed at nights, but I cant go anywhere and leave it with the key in the ignition like this.

Does anyone know If I take this to the dealer, under the warranty ,do I have to pay just a 100.00 dollar deductible or is none under so low miles?

I think something broke off inside the ignition.
This can happen to everything and anything regardless of reputation.

TheAOP
USAF Veteran
Red Sox Nation
2011 CBR250R
2009 Mazda3i
2005 Honda Civic LX
1993 Saturn SW2

It makes me sick that it's hard to distinguish,
An honest leader who preaches a cause,
That's not made and not based,
On the profit they'll receive from telling the world.

What line divides you from the seeders,
Who sow without growing believers,
You point and you judge,
Forgetting that their faith is molded by your lead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #14 of 39 Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAOP View Post
This can happen to everything and anything regardless of reputation.
Your right but it is disappointing because of Honda having such high quality reputation , I just expected nothing to ever go wrong. I guess you can't believe all the hype. Well I just hope this is my only problem with this motorcycle.

I also found out there is no deductible on the warranty so that is good. I look it up on Honda motorcycle website, there is not even one on the extended one, I have no ideal why that finance lady told me there was a 100 dollar deductible.
post #15 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 01:54 AM

try to use your spare key and see if your ignition is not the problem... it might be your key, i had this problem too my key was just slightly twisted which restricted it from turning and ejecting the key
post #16 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 AM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
sounds like more than a typical tight fit etc.. after overnight rain [she lives on the street due to zero parking] months ago we had similar very tight non-functioning
ignition key.. as first response sprayed wd40 into it and onto the key..
waited ten mins and key went in easily then after a little moving around
returned to normal use.. if that wd40 fix doesnt solve your problem
then you must seek professional help, first from honda..

incidentally, after losing a key the local locksmith made up two more
for me on bike blanks for $8 each.. they seem stronger anyway
and havnt had the same problem at least not beyond a little tightness..
also, during that period including raining, i also placed a jar lid
from a medicine bottle onto the ignition/steering lock,
with a bit of bluetack to stop it being blown off by wind..

i wouldnt be paying anything if its beyond wd40 level problem..
post #17 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyapb1071 View Post
My bikes key will not unlock the bikes ignition. I push down on it and it won't turn right or left.

What can I do to fix this?

I am thinking of spraying wd40 on the key ,should I ?
Are you sure it's your bike, and not that CBR600RR parked next to it ...I have been tempted to try that with a nice black CBR600RR at work - hey my CBR250R is black too and anyone could make that mistake right? And if the key fits, it's mine right?

Sorry for being unhelpful . But once ya have tried WD40, I'd think twice about putting a dry powder lubricant in to soon on top of that oil based lube.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR_Dave For This Useful Post:
5005 (08-19-2012)
post #18 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
try to use your spare key and see if your ignition is not the problem... it might be your key, i had this problem too my key was just slightly twisted which restricted it from turning and ejecting the key
"It does it with Both Keys"

It started though with this problem when I used the spare key.

At first the key would not turn in the ignition to unlock it and after I spoke with the honda service person who said wiggle it, it unlocked the ignition but then it would not release from the on postion. I had to wiggle it again to get it to release the key .

After I got the spare key out, I look at both keys to see if the spare key was broken or chiped. both look the same so It is not the key that I can tell.

I then put my regular key in the ignition and it would not turn the ignition on again to the on postion , I had to wiggle it hard back and forth before it turn the ignition back on.

I met a friend at five guys burgers and it came out with no problem. I came back after eating and I used the spare key and again it would not unlock the ignition, after I wiggled the key it unrelased the ignition.

Now I can not get it out of the on postion no matter how much I wiggle it.

I also have sprayed wd40 on it and anther lubicant called 1 in 3 which cleans, oils and lubicates.

post #19 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

update ,it is working now

I just went out to my bike and at first the key would not release then I got it to release and I used my regular key and it is locking and unlocking the ignition now with no effort.

Maybe spraying that WD40 on it last night loosed it up after setting over night?

I also wonder if the spare key was bad? I am looking at both keys and I don't see nothing broke or chipped on the spare key, but I am not using the spare key no more since this problem started with the spare key. I mean it did it with both keys but it started with the spare key. Maybe something broke off on the spare key and has fallen down now where it is not restricting the inside of the ignition???????

I hope this problem does not come back but for now it is working

I AM SO HAPPY, MY BABY IS BACK

Last edited by 5005; 08-19-2012 at 08:45 AM.
post #20 of 39 Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Garage
See? And there you were questioning Honda quality...the darn things fix themselves!

CBR 250r Red/Silver (mine)
CBR 250r Black/Black (wife's)

Bring us back to where they've led
Listen not to what's been said to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page