Engine seized - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Engine seized

So due to bad decisions and a little bit of bad luck I installed my oil filter in the wrong direction. My bike stalled at 6th gear and now I can't get it to start up anymore. I sent it to the mechanic to check how bad the damage is and the report came back with a pre-evaluation that the piston and valve might be touching. Now I have the option of continuing with the full evaluation which will cost me about $450 in total, not including fixing the engine, assuming the pre-evaluation is correct. I bought my 2011 CBR 250 for $2500 a year ago and I'm wondering if I should continue with the evaluation and see how much it will cost to get it fixed and go from there or should I just sell my bike as a project bike? I'm living in Ohio, USA but I'm not sure how much I can get out of it. Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 04:25 PM

Garage
Have you investigated the price of a used engine? It should be about the same as the full evaluation.

If you are going to do your own maintenance, you need the proper tools and references, plus lots of time to do it slow and right. This is especially true for newbies and us old folks (we tend to forget what we've done if we stop for very long).

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Have you investigated the price of a used engine? It should be about the same as the full evaluation.

If you are going to do your own maintenance, you need the proper tools and references, plus lots of time to do it slow and right. This is especially true for newbies and us old folks (we tend to forget what we've done if we stop for very long).
Yea. It stands around 600 excluding shipping. It would match the price of a full eval but I'm not sure if it will be worth it considering I'm a student and will be busy with school. Not to mention winter is coming and I don't really have a place to fix it without having my fingers frozen.

post #4 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 05:49 PM

I am sorta in same boat. I would strongly suggest NOT to get an evaluation. save the money for swap engine. since winter is just around the corner you can take your time buying an engine and swap in spring. or sell the bike AS IS at a loss. I am planning to fix my bike myself. see IS MY ENGINE SEIZED. later greenleaf
The Following User Says Thank You to greenleaf For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (10-23-2016)
post #5 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post

I would strongly suggest NOT to get an evaluation.

save the money for swap engine.
X1000.

Find an engine and move on.

2012 CBR 250R
2014 CBR 500R
1982 BMW R65LS
post #6 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
as you dont have the option of repair, it seems now
potential solutions come down to economics..

looks like you may need to bite the bullet,,
salvaging whatever you can from
your damaged motorcycle..

can family or suchlike help out here[?]
they if anyone will understand the importance
of avoiding stress during this student phase,,
and the relative importance of a dollar..
post #7 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Geez...I read about this problem so much on this website I'm a little surprised someone hasn't started a class-action suit against Honda for bad oil filter design leading to all these catastrophes.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Geez...I read about this problem so much on this website I'm a little surprised someone hasn't started a class-action suit against Honda for bad oil filter design leading to all these catastrophes.
It's not a bad oil filter design. Less than 15 minutes of research would inform any competent lawyer that one would never stand even the slightest chance of winning or settling such a lawsuit claim... Honda has the proper oil filter replacement procedure well and clearly documented, both in the Owner's Manuals it provides to the original owners of these motorcycles, and in the Service Manuals it sells.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #9 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 PM

The oil filter is dead simple. Easy to access and cheap.. I don't understand how this is such a common thing . I've been using the same gasket since I bought the bike lol. But mistakes happen. Sometimes when your moving through it you find out you messed up to late . But I would buy another motor or look into throwing this bike in as a trade . Some bike shops will take a seized bike for a decent amount Givin the circumstances. If you had the time and a warm garage I would def get a new engine. But do what makes the most sense financially to you.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
It's not a bad oil filter design. Less than 15 minutes of research would inform any competent lawyer that one would never stand even the slightest chance of winning or settling such a lawsuit claim... Honda has the proper oil filter replacement procedure well and clearly documented, both in the Owner's Manuals it provides to the original owners of these motorcycles, and in the Service Manuals it sells.
I was actually attempting to be more sarcastic than serious, Mike, but you have to admit it's a little frightening that so many cases like this have been posted since this forum's inception. For a bike that's generally considered "entry level" or a "beginners" bike by many, the consequences of not orientating something as basic as the oil filter correctly certainly are harsh.
Considering how most owner's manuals for virtually every product we buy these days have at least several pages of the most rudimentary warnings that only a complete idiot would ignore, even WITHOUT the benefit of a manual, you'd think that Honda would at least make a better attempt to stress the dangers inherent in new owners changing the oil on this model with a bit more urgency. I'm sure dealer-wide service bulletins have been issued for less catastrophic issues than this and the problem certainly seems common enough to warrant at least some kind of increased notification to buyers beyond what is legally required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page