Poor MPG and Throttle Hesitation - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 07-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
B-12 chemtool is the strongest stuff I've stumbled across for in-tank additives. Acetone is a great cleaner, and B12 has a good bit of it. So it's better as a quick cleaner instead of something that is going to sit in the tank for a week or more since it's not too happy to play with plastics. Techron fuel injector cleaner is kind of crap in my opinion, so if you use the Techron, make sure it's system cleaner as it is much more concentrated. The B12 is more solvent based, and will clean the nastier grime out of the ends of the injectors better and helps to remove some moisture if present.

In my experience, if it's a fuel nastiness problem and B12 doesn't help you, no additive will.
The Concentrate is the only one to use. The regular Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner is not the strong stuff.

I don't know how it compares to B12, but I do have pretty good info that it does what needs to be done.

That may not be it at all, so if you aren't getting any improvements I would check the condition of the air filter and snorkel opening for obstruction, and possibly check the plug. It's usually uncommon, but I have heard of the CBR having plug failures. It's in here somewhere...
The Following User Says Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
TrueFaith (07-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
It's usually uncommon, but I have heard of the CBR having plug failures. It's in here somewhere...
The one on my bike was changed during the 24,000km (~15,000miles) service which is just half of it's expected lifespan (not that I had noticed any problems before or experienced any improvements after the rather expensive swap...). Maybe something was wrong with it, maybe I was just ripped off.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 38 Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Garage
I switched to iridium plugs when I did the valves at about 15K miles. I'm lazy, it was a simple precaution.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

post #14 of 38 Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm not anywhere near 15k and the air filter was just replaced 2 months ago (with a new OEM one). The snorkel appears to be perfectly normal also with no obstruction.
Checking the plug was way down on my list of things to check because of the relatively low mileage, but it wouldn't hurt to pull it and see if it's anything but normal in appearance.
Thanks for the suggestion.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Any recent mods or service work. Valve adjustment?
I used a small amount of fuel additive once and it decreased my fuel economy for three tanks. Never again.
TrueFaith likes this.

post #16 of 38 Old 07-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Any recent mods or service work. Valve adjustment?
I used a small amount of fuel additive once and it decreased my fuel economy for three tanks. Never again.
Depending on how you ride, running a strong fuel system cleaner in the CBR may prevent some serious issues.

The CBR appears to have unusual engine problems when ridden lightly and not revved. Deposits build-up in the combustion chamber and intake valves and lead to detonation, burned valves, and engine damage.

None of this has been proven absolutely, but everything I've encountered here over the last few years suggests that deposits could be the cause.

I can't say I've ever noticed any mileage drop from running Techron, but it could be possible. Not sure how it could continue after the treated gas had been consumed though.
TrueFaith likes this.
post #17 of 38 Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Depending on how you ride, running a strong fuel system cleaner in the CBR may prevent some serious issues.

The CBR appears to have unusual engine problems when ridden lightly and not revved. Deposits build-up in the combustion chamber and intake valves and lead to detonation, burned valves, and engine damage.

None of this has been proven absolutely, but everything I've encountered here over the last few years suggests that deposits could be the cause.

I can't say I've ever noticed any mileage drop from running Techron, but it could be possible. Not sure how it could continue after the treated gas had been consumed though.
You never empty the tank, you refill with some fuel still in it to cool the fuel pump. Think of it as a serial dilution.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #18 of 38 Old 07-21-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The CBR appears to have unusual engine problems when ridden lightly and not revved. .
Well I can debunk that completely. I am the lightest riding, lowest revving owner ever. Fully 1/3 of my 46,000 trouble free miles would be with the clutch in and coasting since I always ride with PulseNGlide. And I ride through town at 4,000 rpm and clutch in coast up to the stop signs.
It took three, 2 gallon fill ups to finally rid my tank of a normal dose of BG fuel treatment so my fuel efficiency could return. I did my spark plug at 30,000 just because I was adjusting the valves and it still measures a tight .035"/ .889mm. I might check my valve clearance again soon. it has been 16,000 miles.

post #19 of 38 Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Well I can debunk that completely. I am the lightest riding, lowest revving owner ever. Fully 1/3 of my 46,000 trouble free miles would be with the clutch in and coasting since I always ride with PulseNGlide. And I ride through town at 4,000 rpm and clutch in coast up to the stop signs.
It took three, 2 gallon fill ups to finally rid my tank of a normal dose of BG fuel treatment so my fuel efficiency could return. I did my spark plug at 30,000 just because I was adjusting the valves and it still measures a tight .035"/ .889mm. I might check my valve clearance again soon. it has been 16,000 miles.
What is the explanation for carbon build-up, engine meltdown, burned valves, scored cylinders, etc, especially when ridden gently then?

I can't see how running a strong fuel system cleaner can be blamed for numerous tanks of poor fuel economy.

Try Techron next time (if there is a next time).
post #20 of 38 Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
You never empty the tank, you refill with some fuel still in it to cool the fuel pump. Think of it as a serial dilution.
To get the full benefit of the cleaner you need to fill the tank, add the cleaner, and run until the tank is low - but obviously not dry.

I don't think overheating of the pump is a problem as long as there's fuel in the tank. A hot pump would cause vaporlock in certain situations, which I don't believe is an issue.
TrueFaith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page