Poor MPG and Throttle Hesitation - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 07-26-2017, 07:54 PM

Are you running ethanol-free 87 octane?

Ethanol will drop mileage, and some companies use more than others. Higher octane than needed will cost mileage as well.

If you get gas the same place every time you may want to try another brand to see if there is any change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Are you running ethanol-free 87 octane?

Ethanol will drop mileage, and some companies use more than others. Higher octane than needed will cost mileage as well.

If you get gas the same place every time you may want to try another brand to see if there is any change.
I'm running regular 87 octane, but ethanol-free is really hard to find around here.
I generally gas up at the same place in the car, but because of the not-so-accurate gas gauge in the CBR, I find myself filling up with whatever brand is available when that last bar starts flashing and it's usually far from my usual places. I do try to stick to major brands like Mobil or Shell for the bike whenever possible though.
I remember having to fill up with premium gas once when I first got the bike and the bike went through it like there was a hole in the tank. I don't know why there are still people who argue that Premium is somehow better than the 87 octane the owner's manual recommends. One tank is all it takes to disprove that misguided notion.
Since this is the first time I've ever run any kind of fuel system cleaner since I got the bike in 2011, I'm really starting to think that it's just years of residue in the EFI and possibly some moisture in the fuel system that's been the cause of the symptoms I've been experiencing and all it needed was a good cleaning. Or perhaps I just got a really bad tank of gas recently. At least at the moment the lessening severity of the symptoms seem to be indicating that.
jkv357 and shisoshin like this.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-28-2017, 02:31 AM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
basically, 'premium' means 'paying extra'..
high octane rating means slower burning fuel..
slower burning fuel is used in high performance
engines to prevent pre-ignition [engine damage]..

our engines combustion chamber conditions
incl 10.7:1 cr etc, are designed for fast burning petrol,
ie lower octane 'regular' 91ron/87pon..

if opting for a non catalytic converter slip-on
'premium' additives are even less relevant..

post #34 of 38 Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I don't know why there are still people who argue that Premium is somehow better than the 87 octane the owner's manual recommends. One tank is all it takes to disprove that misguided notion.
Because the add campaigns have deeply implanted the feeling that premium fuel gives more POWAAAA. There is a ton of 125 rider kiddies out here who put premium in their tiny engines because it gives them at least one extra HP.
If you tell them that this fuel is rather decreasing performance and does only make sense in racing engines with high compression they don't believe it or outright tell you they don't care. Premium it has to be because more expensive means better!
Isn't propaganda, er I mean advertisement great?
TrueFaith, jkv357 and shisoshin like this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 38 Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Because the add campaigns have deeply implanted the feeling that premium fuel gives more POWAAAA. There is a ton of 125 rider kiddies out here who put premium in their tiny engines because it gives them at least one extra HP.
If you tell them that this fuel is rather decreasing performance and does only make sense in racing engines with high compression they don't believe it or outright tell you they don't care. Premium it has to be because more expensive means better!
Isn't propaganda, er I mean advertisement great?
It is pretty incredible that advertisements from the 1960s that promised a "tiger in your tank" (with free fuzzy "tiger tails" you could hang on your filler spout) still live on in the consciousness of the new millennium and can still influence the thinking of kids who hadn't even been born for decades yet...LOL.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
Street Sniper and shisoshin like this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #37 of 38 Old 07-21-2019, 02:16 AM

does the issue got fixed? i got same problem
post #38 of 38 Old 07-22-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruninchoor View Post
does the issue got fixed? i got same problem
Yeah, pretty much. 3 tanks of gas with additive either cleaned a build-up of gunk in the fuel system or helped whatever water may have been in there dry up finally.
Run a few tanks of gas with Seafoam, B-12 Chemtool or some other additive added and see if it doesn't clear things up before you start taking anything apart.
jkv357 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page