Tight Noisy Gears - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-19-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tight Noisy Gears

Hi bikers, I am riding a 1200Km old CBR 250R. From the day 1 itself the gear is not so smooth, especially the 1,2 & 3 gears. At first I thought it will get better after riding it for some 1000s of distance. But even now it's making some hard clicking or draging noise.

An example;
When I am travelling through the thick city traffic, slowly going through vehicles @ 33 kmph in the 3rd gear, then when I have to slow it down more I pull the clutch the speed reaches near 23 kmph & I shift down to 2nd, 'ttttakkk' noise I can hear, when when I shift down to 1st gear when I reach 18 kmph, again the same noise + a noise similar to something got stuck in the drivechain.

Am I shifting it the wrong way?

Anyone here, ever came across such things. I have changed my engine oil & oil filter at 500km (fully synthetic oil).

Last edited by iamragesh006; 08-19-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
It sounds to me like you are lugging the engine, irrespective of what the owners manual may say for shifting speeds.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
The Following User Says Thank You to jsonder For This Useful Post:
iamragesh006 (08-19-2017)
post #3 of 16 Old 08-19-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tight Noisy Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
It sounds to me like you are lugging the engine, irrespective of what the owners manual may say for shifting speeds.

Thanks for the quick response.
OMG, I have read here read everywhere that lugging the engine in the initial days is one the worst things I could do to the engine.

In open big roads when I am normally riding I shift gears at 4.5-5k rpm, but when I am at small or busy trafic roads I shift them at 4k rpm. If said according to the speed, 1st gear till 20kmph, 2nd gear till 30kmph, 3rd gear till 40kmph, 4th till 50kmph and 5th gear after 50kmph, I hardly get chances on my roads to shift to the 6th gear, if I get chances I do it only after 65-70kmph.
(Our Indian roads are very bad and not even comparable or even close to the US roads, if riding safely we cannot go beyond 50kpmh in our dailing commuting through the city roads.)

If I am doing it wrong, please guide me to do it properly. I really care about my bike a lot, feels very bad harming it by myself.

Yeah, I am being such a noob and asking silly basic question. Please help.

Last edited by iamragesh006; 08-19-2017 at 10:04 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 12:51 AM

Garage
In general, the shifting speeds listed in the owners manual are for a single rider, on flat terrain, and are the lowest safe speeds for shifting.

On a 250 cc motorcycle, I like to keep the engine above 1/2 of the red line value, except for starting from a stop and possibly on the 1st to 2nd shift (2nd gear is at just under 1/2 of redline after the shift).

I used that guideline for years on my NX250 with great success. I admit running above 1/2 and closer to above 3/4 red line (actually the limiter as it has no tach) on my CRF230L, but it is an air cooled engine with lower compression and a lower red line.
jkv357, shisoshin and iamragesh006 like this.

Last edited by jsonder; 08-20-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: explain 2nd gear thing better.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 05:02 AM

The first three gears in my CBR tend do the same thing. There can be some noticeable "clank" sound when shifting. Best thing is to put some light pressure on the gear selector before pulling the clutch in. The gear transition is then much smoother but in the first three gears there still might be some light clanking, that's normal on this bike.

BTW. you're not lugging the engine, I shift around those speeds too. However I don't shift to 6th before reaching 70 km/h indicated and only when the engine is warm.
iamragesh006 likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schroeder For This Useful Post:
iamragesh006 (08-20-2017)
post #6 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 11:02 AM

When downshifting with the clutch in to 2nd or 1st, there is a noticeable mechanical "thunk". If this is what you're referring to, it's normal.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrlocal For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamragesh006 View Post
Thanks for the quick response.
OMG, I have read here read everywhere that lugging the engine in the initial days is one the worst things I could do to the engine.

In open big roads when I am normally riding I shift gears at 4.5-5k rpm, but when I am at small or busy trafic roads I shift them at 4k rpm. If said according to the speed, 1st gear till 20kmph, 2nd gear till 30kmph, 3rd gear till 40kmph, 4th till 50kmph and 5th gear after 50kmph, I hardly get chances on my roads to shift to the 6th gear, if I get chances I do it only after 65-70kmph.
(Our Indian roads are very bad and not even comparable or even close to the US roads, if riding safely we cannot go beyond 50kpmh in our dailing commuting through the city roads.)

If I am doing it wrong, please guide me to do it properly. I really care about my bike a lot, feels very bad harming it by myself.

Yeah, I am being such a noob and asking silly basic question. Please help.
It sounds like you are upshifting a bit too soon into 4th & 5th gears. You can run 3rd gear up to 50 KPH before shifting into 4th, and then stay in 4th up to about 70 KPH before shifting into 5th gear.

This engine doesn't develop much power below 5000 RPM, so when upshifting into those higher gears you want to run the RPM's higher than what you've listed. While 4000-4500 RPM as a shift point is fine for 1st & 2nd gears, it's really too low for upshifting into the higher gears. As John (jsonder) pointed out, use the tachometer as a guide for upshift points rather than the speedo. 6000 RPM is a good minimum shift point when shifting into 4th, 5th, & 6th gears. Of course if you need/want to accelerate a bit quicker, you simply stay in those gears longer before shifting.
jkv357 and shisoshin like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post

BTW. you're not lugging the engine, I shift around those speeds too. However I don't shift to 6th before reaching 70 km/h indicated and only when the engine is warm.
That is good to know. I have trouble translating speeds from kph to mph, and am much happier with the rpm information. I was interpreting his noise as coming from an unhappy load in the gear chosen at that engine speed rather than a transmission artifact.

Admittedly, my 1989 NX250 had a precursor engine (shim under bucket) and transmission, but I am surprised that the transmission was devalued for the CBR250R.

It is a small-engined bike and the engine does need to turn fast enough to be up on the torque curve for decent acceleration. See the torque curve below; if you want to accelerate quickly, you really want to be above 5K rpm.

My NX250 had a 9K redline, and I rode with it above 4200 rpm and still averaged 73-74 mpg (US gallons).

post #9 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
When downshifting with the clutch in to 2nd or 1st, there is a noticeable mechanical "thunk". If this is what you're referring to, it's normal.

Yes, that's exactly whay I was trying to tell. That noise makes me feels like something wrong happening inside it.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
It sounds like you are upshifting a bit too soon into 4th & 5th gears. You can run 3rd gear up to 50 KPH before shifting into 4th, and then stay in 4th up to about 70 KPH before shifting into 5th gear.

This engine doesn't develop much power below 5000 RPM, so when upshifting into those higher gears you want to run the RPM's higher than what you've listed. While 4000-4500 RPM as a shift point is fine for 1st & 2nd gears, it's really too low for upshifting into the higher gears. As John (jsonder) pointed out, use the tachometer as a guide for upshift points rather than the speedo. 6000 RPM is a good minimum shift point when shifting into 4th, 5th, & 6th gears. Of course if you need/want to accelerate a bit quicker, you simply stay in those gears longer before shifting.

3rd gear upto 50kmph!? When I hear the engine screaming at that speed at that gear I feels like I am over revving or stressing the engine too much.

But, now that you have suggested. I can do it confidently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page