2012 CBR250R. Dirty Fuel Pump. - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelta32 View Post
How do i know that a fuel is ethanol free ? I am using Total or Shell.
In the U.S., it will say on the pump - and the price will be significantly higher. In other countries ethanol blending may not be common at all - not sure.

Some areas in the U.S. can't get gas without ethanol. Some companies only make it an option in "Premium" grade. Many times there's nothing you can do about it.

Stabil brand fuel treatment has a product that is designed to treat ethanol gas called Stabil Marine. They also have Stabil 360 that has other benefits, but I'm not that familiar with either.

I'm in an area where i can get ethanol-free Regular gas (thank you Cenex), so I'm lucky I don't have to deal with the issues related to ethanol.
shisoshin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 09-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisoshin View Post
you'd need to be desperate imo paying 60 bucks [80aud]
for that tank with its massive indentation left side..
I think it is pretty cheap for a tank. What do you get them for in Australia?
post #13 of 28 Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Original Poster - I would focus on the fixing the results of having a rusty tank and worry about the fuel after. I'm of the belief you should replace tank and pump with cheap used parts and then follow the advice about an additive and keeping the tank full. You should be able to google it to get an idea of the ethanol content in your country. Stabil, K100, Star*Tron are all brands I've used with success. Not sure (doubtful) they have these same brands where you live. Again google can help you find a good additive that is available locally.

post #14 of 28 Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
'desperate imo [buying] that [heavily dented tank'
isnt just the $, rather the badly dented tank..
i wouldnt take it if you gave it to me,,
unless, desperate.. ie, no other options..

for starters its internal sealing material
is compromised, thus more susceptible
to rusting effects of ethanol blended fuel..

'how do you know' ethanol blended fuel [?];
in aust similar to usa and suchlike societies
petrol outlets are required to label petrol products
containing ethanol.. for starters ethanol is not,
suitable for marine or light aircraft engines..
based on obvious safety issues given
known engine failures..

in aust its E-10 [ethanol 10%] labeling
on pumps with 'regular unleaded' [91RON]
the base petrol for all octane graded petrols,
to which is blended 10% ethanol for 'E-10'

here plus an extra 17c additive package = '95'
and for another 7c additive package = '98'
here the expensive options have no ethanol..
thus motorists are forced to pay more
to avoid putting ethanol in their engines..
based on a govt mandate, based on a monopoly
by one company, which donates heavily to politicians..

fortunately some outlets [eg my caltex south coogee]
continue to supply unpolluted petrol..
theres a map of usa outlets for clean petrol,
including marine 'recreational' petrol..

in 2016 over 60 countries were blending ethanol..
Biofuels Mandates Around the World: 2016 : Biofuels Digest
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shisoshin For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (09-12-2017), zelta32 (09-12-2017)
post #15 of 28 Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 PM

Did you ever figure out your issue?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #16 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 AM

In addition to Stabil products, a company by the name of Liquid Performance makes a product called "Ethanol Equalizer" that they claim stops ethanol problems, boosts octane and increases horsepower and fuel mileage.
I'd love to use ethanol-free gas, but in my state the only way to get it is to buy small containers of it at bike parts shops. No way I'm going through that hassle every week.
post #17 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
In addition to Stabil products, a company by the name of Liquid Performance makes a product called "Ethanol Equalizer" that they claim stops ethanol problems, boosts octane and increases horsepower and fuel mileage.
I'd love to use ethanol-free gas, but in my state the only way to get it is to buy small containers of it at bike parts shops. No way I'm going through that hassle every week.
Not to mention it's very expensive to buy pre-packaged non ethanol gasoline, like the good stuff sold by VP Racing. Their 4 Cycle SEF (Small Engine Fuel) is typically about $25 for a 1 gallon can. If you buy it in a 50 gallon drum the price gets down to about $13 per gallon... still pretty pricey.

Here in Santa Fe, NM we have one Phillips 66 station which sells 90 PON premium non-ethanol gasoline at the pump. It's what I use for all my bikes, snowmobiles, Stihl chainsaws & brushcutter. It's typically only $0.50 -$0.70 more per gallon than what other stations around town are selling 87 PON E10 gasoline for... well worth it IMO.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 09-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Ethanol-free 87 in this area is only about 10% more than 87 E10. You will get somewhere around 5% better mileage without 10% ethanol, depending on the specific vehicle that amount can go up or down.

I run it in everything except the cars.
MotoMike likes this.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Here in Santa Fe, NM we have one Phillips 66 station which sells 90 PON premium non-ethanol gasoline at the pump. It's what I use for all my bikes, snowmobiles, Stihl chainsaws & brushcutter. It's typically only $0.50 -$0.70 more per gallon than what other stations around town are selling 87 PON E10 gasoline for... well worth it IMO.
I wish, Mike.
I shouldn't have said there are NO ethanol free gas stations in Mass. Just not in my area. They're usually in metro areas and I live in a rural one. The nearest two are a Mobil 14 miles away and a Phillips 66 18 miles away. Both in cities I'm very rarely riding through.
It's about $2.70 a gallon, which I'd pay in a heartbeat if they were only closer.
I sure would love to use that stuff in my lawnmower and snow blower too instead of this crap that goes stale in a month without treatment.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
After writing my previous post, it reminded me that my gas cans were all empty (aside from a 1/2 gallon of Stihl premix). So after picking up my daughter from school today, we drove the 15 extra miles to the Phillips 66 station on the south end of town for a fresh supply of the 90 octane non-ethanol premium. Filled three 5 gallon cans and one 2 1/2 gallon, so that will get me through the fall firewood & brush cutting season, along with a few more rides on my XR400R before the snow flies. Paid $3.099 a gallon (Regular 87 E10 is going for $2.499/gal in Santa Fe now), so only $0.60 more per gallon for non-ethanol.

@TrueFaith... IMO, 14 miles isn't really that far to get non-ethanol fuel, especially if you fill two or three 5 gallon cans to make the trip worthwhile. Your bike & other small engine equipment will reward you with easier starting, better overall performance, and they will be much less likely to give you fuel system problems over the long run.
TrueFaith likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
TrueFaith (09-28-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page