My 250R randomly stalls out when downshifing or blipping throttle. - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 10-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Has anyone found a Honda Technical Bulletin about this issue?

It may be possible that a dealer could modify/fix the stock ECU to cure the (known) problem.

If the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is not working properly it might do the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thonschopp96 View Post
Just looked it up... so is this in essence a fuel controller? I was asking earlier in the thread if a fuel controller might solve the issue. The ones I was looking at (Bazzaz for example) were around half the price though, right around $250. Sounds like the RapidBike might have been created specifically for this issue though.
The Rapid Bike piggy back ECU was a bit more pricey than the Bazzaz at the time although, if I remember correctly, it is auto-adaptive even without its own lambda probe (although this is slow and takes many hours of ride time).
As I said before, I raised the issue with the Honda dealer that sold me the bike but he said he had never heard of the issue. I have seen this issue discussed on several other forums.
I myself have had the hairy moment of having the engine cut out at around 110 km/h while on a motorway exit. The cutting out was pretty random and I could not find a way to keep it under control by the way I rode.
This fuel controller definitely solved the issue although it was not the main reason I bought it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpmiksauk For This Useful Post:
thonschopp96 (10-20-2017)
post #33 of 39 Old 10-27-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmiksauk View Post
Had this issue on my 2012 reg CBR250R which I bought new. I am now on only 10,000 km and so have used the bike very little but this stalling issue was from the beginning. I went to the Honda dealer to ask if there was a defect and he told me he knew of no such problem. When I finally splashed the cash on a DimSport Rapid Bike piggyback ECU (around 2014 I installed this), the problem completely disappeared and my bike has never stalled once since.
My guess is it is a defect due to ECU programming to keep emissions down.
I am looking into getting one of these Rapid Bike controllers, which model did you go with? There's Easy, Evo, and Race. I am leaning towards the Evo for the cost.

post #34 of 39 Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
I am looking into getting one of these Rapid Bike controllers, which model did you go with? There's Easy, Evo, and Race. I am leaning towards the Evo for the cost.

I have the EVO which is the autoadaptive version. I have not installed a wide range lambda probe though and so it took many hours of riding for the auto adaption to complete with the standard lambda probe of the cbr250r, which the module plugs into.
On the EVO you can add the quickshift, map switch and blue tooth connection ( I have none of these though - was thinking about a map switch though).
I have only changed the exhaust so far (down pipe and silencer) but will eventually mount the big bore kit and for this the EVO module will be essential
post #35 of 39 Old 10-28-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmiksauk View Post
I have the EVO which is the autoadaptive version. I have not installed a wide range lambda probe though and so it took many hours of riding for the auto adaption to complete with the standard lambda probe of the cbr250r, which the module plugs into.
On the EVO you can add the quickshift, map switch and blue tooth connection ( I have none of these though - was thinking about a map switch though).
I have only changed the exhaust so far (down pipe and silencer) but will eventually mount the big bore kit and for this the EVO module will be essential
So how do the maps work? Because as I understand the "map" you choose is constantly updating as you drive. Evo definitely sounds like the one to go with.
post #36 of 39 Old 11-01-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
So how do the maps work? Because as I understand the "map" you choose is constantly updating as you drive. Evo definitely sounds like the one to go with.

When you install the RapidBike EVO software on your computer, once you plug in the module through its USB cable, the module is recognised by the software. If the bike has been run for long enough for autoadaption to have completed, the parameters should already be different (the software allows you to open the standard map of a CBR250R for comparison). You can then set these autoadapted parameters as the starting point by saving them as a kind of default although it should change very little from this point unless you modify the engine again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpmiksauk For This Useful Post:
thonschopp96 (11-01-2017)
post #37 of 39 Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Garage
I have found a bike garage with a rolling road that deals specifically with DimSport products. I will get in touch with them soon to try to get some more info about setting up the EVO especially as I would like to install the map switch (1 map for normal use and 1 map for passing annual emissions test).

Burani Moto Srl - Rapid Bike Sevice

The garage is near where I live in Italy. However it will now be spring of next year before I take my bike to them as I have now put it away for the winter.

Thonschopp96 - you will need to wait until them for more info from me.
post #38 of 39 Old 09-03-2018, 03:49 PM

Garage
Just a quick update on the Dimsport RapidBike Evo ECU:

I went to the garage near where I live to get help trying to set-up the RapidBike module but was less than successful in that when the mechanic saw it was fitted to a 250cc, he showed almost complete disinterest and suggested that I just play around with the software myself at home. This is kind of what I had suspected might happen all along.
So in the end I am doing just that. I have bought a double map switch and installed this and have set up the two maps so that one is biased to fuel economy and the other towards performance/acceleration. The auto-learning process is now starting from scratch as the map switch installation deletes the old map (auto learn cycle had already been completed before with 6 hours riding).
The difference when flicking the switch is quite noticeable although I will have to wait a bit longer to see if there is a noticeable fuel saving benefit in economy mode.
jkv357 likes this.
post #39 of 39 Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 PM

My bike has been stalling on closed throttle coasting more this year than it did when it was newer. I don't really notice untill I let out the clutch again and it bump starts itself. 52,000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page