2011 CBR250R suspension too stiff - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 10-22-2017, 04:55 AM

Garage
It may help to INCREASE the preload on the shock. The linkage on most bikes is 'rising rate' which means that the further the suspension compresses the harder it gets. By backing it off to it's lowest setting you would be making the bike sit with the linkage partially through it's travel. Increase the preload and the bike will sit higher where the linkage allows more rear wheel movement for any given bump impact.
I'm 150lbs and find big bumps do kick pretty hard.
shisoshin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
note also where you sit [or stand] will effect
sag/reload relationships front to rear..
ie, moving your mass fore or aft
determines relative rates..

Motorcycle Suspension - Sag and Preload
post #13 of 18 Old 10-24-2017, 04:49 AM

Adjusting rear shock spring only adjusts height, the spring is same tension no matter what position it is in. Check all your shock linkages that none are dry from grease and seizing. Very simple to check and re grease.
jsonder, kiwi rider and Keith like this.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywillfly View Post
Adjusting rear shock spring only adjusts height, the spring is same tension no matter what position it is in. Check all your shock linkages that none are dry from grease and seizing. Very simple to check and re grease.
I have already looked for grease fittings and I don't see any ...zero. I guess grease fittings are a thing of the past. So I assume you are talking about a rear suspension disassembly in order to check out the action of every joint. Hmmm yes, I may actually get to this sometime this winter. Oh and my engineering background tells me that there are two different parameters which people may be confusing. Spring rate has the units of lbs/inch and is designed into the spring design, and spring preload has the units of lbs and can be changed by the preload adjuster. In fact increasing the preload force is exactly what forces the increase in rear end height. I think it also contributes to setting the low end sensitivity or threshold to where the suspension will or will not respond to a small bump.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM

You are correct in your observation, to grease rear shock needle roller bearings the units have to be dismantled and it is a minor task.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-22-2018, 05:20 AM

Hi
Redfan complained about rear shock too stiff
it is my case also, my rear shock is something like a "piece of wood" when I drive solo (70 Kg)
Duo is better, witch tends to think the spring is too hard or hydraulic, poor.
I tried all the settings (from 1 to 5) nothing better.
I also checked and grease the Prolink, nothing better.
That's strange , I owned two 125 cbr (2007 and 2011) and the shock was for sure more confortable and without Prolink!
The shock has 35000 kms , but no leak and rebound is poor but again acceptable.
I am planning to buy a more confortable shock if possible dedicated to our using and weights (cruising only, no race)
I found the YSS models , one without hydraulic setting, and the other with the rebound setting.
Does somebody have any feed-back from YSS?
I also find a dealer in France who builts a dedicated shock with weights and way of driving

Ride safe
Patrick
post #17 of 18 Old 09-27-2018, 05:41 AM

Hi
Any knowledge with the YSS shock part?

Ride safe
Patrick
post #18 of 18 Old 11-27-2018, 11:14 PM

I too felt the bike suspension was too stiff for the first few months and then I just got used to it. For me, I think I had been away from motorcycle riding for too long and had to relearn how to read the road, anticipate the bumps a bit and get off the seat slightly to smooth the bumps out here and there. I'm much more ok with it after riding it for a year. I also know which roads bring out the worst in the suspension. And those roads bring out the worst in my car as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page