• 1 Post By jsonder
  • 1 Post By Mufasa
  • 1 Post By Mufasa
  • 1 Post By Mufasa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-08-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Either Stator or Rectifier

So with some sad news. My little CBR has decided to ride till the battery is dead.

I guess it's either the Stator or Rectifier.

Will be testing later today.

So so irritating. I'm really hoping it's the rectifier and not the stator, because I really don't feel like thanking the side of the Engine apart.

Any way ride safe all

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks like it's my stator. When I check the voltage between the coils I only getting 2-4 volts when you suppose to get 24v and above with 5000rpm.

Looks like I'm going to either have to ship it from partszilla or get a second hand one. Once I repair it I'm going to sell the bike and look at getting something with less miles on it.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by

post #3 of 9 Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Garage
Thanks for letting us know what you found.
Mufasa likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Looks like it's my stator. When I check the voltage between the coils I only getting 2-4 volts when you suppose to get 24v and above with 5000rpm.

Looks like I'm going to either have to ship it from partszilla or get a second hand one. Once I repair it I'm going to sell the bike and look at getting something with less miles on it.

Voltage from the stator is AC, did you make sure the multi-meter was set to the correct range?

2013 CBR250RAD Repsol Replica with ABS (now sold)
Presently have a 2002 Ducati 750Sport ie
post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy99 View Post
Voltage from the stator is AC, did you make sure the multi-meter was set to the correct range?
I did 100%, I tested the rectifier aswell and it comes back working perfectly. Had the multimedia plugged in the Stator and then started the bike, it goes from 0Vac to 3Vac on one coil and 2Vac on the other 2 coils. Reving the engine doesn't change anything.

Parts now ordered. So I'm hoping to get it by Friday, but this is South Africa so maybe next week.

kiwi rider likes this.

My Fuel Economy by

post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good day all,

Looks like it was my Stator, well let's hope haven't started yet.
Found a soldering point at the bottom of the crank case.
Stator has burn marks on it so hence me saying it's the stator.
I'll update the thread after I start it tomorrow.

Let's hope this stator will last another 40000KM or untill I sell it to upgrade.

Anyway ride safe all.

kiwi rider likes this.

My Fuel Economy by

post #7 of 9 Old 06-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Looks shorted. You could confirm by measuring between the leads and see if there's low resistance and not an open circuit. Resistance should be under 1 ohm, but definitely not over 1.5. Next check to make sure it's not shorted to ground. Stick stator on the crank and measure the ground lead to the engine case. If it has any resistance, the stator shorted to ground.

Also good tests to do on a new stator before you seal up your engine.

TESTING STATOR COILS

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
Looks shorted. You could confirm by measuring between the leads and see if there's low resistance and not an open circuit. Resistance should be under 1 ohm, but definitely not over 1.5. Next check to make sure it's not shorted to ground. Stick stator on the crank and measure the ground lead to the engine case. If it has any resistance, the stator shorted to ground.

Also good tests to do on a new stator before you seal up your engine.

TESTING STATOR COILS
Good day cbrlocal,

So before I bought the part from partzilla, I did the test to ground from all 3 wires. I also performed the ohms test and I got 0.6 0.6 and 0.8. after all that I was thinking it couldn't be the stator, but when I check the AC Voltage from phase to phase I was only getting 2 ACv.

So I've started the bike and I'm getting 14.5v at the battery so I'm happy to say my CBR is happy again.

I've also gotten ahold of Honda South Africa to Investigate why our local Honda dealaships are charging 4 time more than the USA market for the parts like the Stator and regulator.

Safe rides all.

My Fuel Economy by

post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good day all,

Glad to report 1000km down and I'm still a happy chappy.
The stator it was.

Schroeder likes this.

My Fuel Economy by

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page