Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/)
-   CBR250 Problems and Issues (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/)
-   -   Rattle at low RPMs while warming up (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/68265-rattle-low-rpms-while-warming-up.html)

lightfox 09-14-2018 08:47 PM

Rattle at low RPMs while warming up

I noticed a new rattling noise on my bike and was wondering if this was a problem. I hear it only around the 3000-5000 RPM range. The rattling noise gets slower or faster as the RPMs change. It's the same whether it's moving or revving while standing still in neutral. The noise goes away when the engine warms up.

I noticed the noise after getting an oil change. I'm not sure if it's related to the service. The oil level looks its on the upper line of the sight glass, maybe slightly above.

Any thoughts on whether is something to be worried about?

TrueFaith 09-15-2018 09:44 AM

Mufasa 09-17-2018 01:56 PM

You may also look at the cam chain tensioner. It's generally noisy at lower rpms.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lightfox 09-18-2018 01:11 AM

Thanks for the tips. I still have the rattling noise even when the bike (and therefore chain) is not moving, so I think the problem is probably not with the chain.

The big thread about rattle has a long discussion about many different potential causes. One idea that caught my attention was that incorrect valve clearance could cause a rattle. I'm not at the 16,000 mile mark for a valve clearance inspection but well past the time recommendation in the manual of 24 months. Is it worth checking now? I have about 12,000 miles and owned this bike about 6 years.

Schroeder 09-18-2018 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightfox (Post 684075)
Thanks for the tips. I still have the rattling noise even when the bike (and therefore chain) is not moving, so I think the problem is probably not with the chain.

The big thread about rattle has a long discussion about many different potential causes. One idea that caught my attention was that incorrect valve clearance could cause a rattle. I'm not at the 16,000 mile mark for a valve clearance inspection but well past the time recommendation in the manual of 24 months. Is it worth checking now? I have about 12,000 miles and owned this bike about 6 years.

Mufasa was talking about the cam chain. That is a part of the engine and moves when said engine is running.:wink2:

lightfox 09-18-2018 04:28 AM

Ooop, my mistake. I misread Mufasa’s post.

jkv357 09-18-2018 09:13 AM

Usually valves that are out of adjustment make a "ticking" noise, not so much a "rattling" noise.

How long does it run before it stops making the noise?

Any idea what oil they put in it?

If it was mine, and I wanted to know everything was OK, I'd drain the oil (looking for any metal chips) and check that the the filter was in correctly (I'd reuse it), then fill with Rotella T5 10W-30 blend.

I'd probably also check the valves.

If both checked out fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

lemmy99 09-18-2018 10:28 AM

Rattling sound after an oil change is normally the oil filter fitted backwards and the engines wrecked through reduced lubrication.

jkv357 09-18-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmy99 (Post 684083)
Rattling sound after an oil change is normally the oil filter fitted backwards and the engines wrecked through reduced lubrication.

Right - I would want to check the oil filter right away before starting the engine again.

If they (shop) installed it incorrectly there's going to be a problem.

lightfox 09-18-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 684081)
Usually valves that are out of adjustment make a "ticking" noise, not so much a "rattling" noise.

How long does it run before it stops making the noise?

Any idea what oil they put in it?

If it was mine, and I wanted to know everything was OK, I'd drain the oil (looking for any metal chips) and check that the the filter was in correctly (I'd reuse it), then fill with Rotella T5 10W-30 blend.

I'd probably also check the valves.

If both checked out fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

They used Spectro 4 10/40. Within about 5 minutes after starting up the noise goes away. The oil change was just over 2 weeks ago, and I have been riding almost every day. I don’t remember if the noises started immediately after the oil change.

If I can get a good audio recording of the noise I’ll try to post it here. I need to buy a few things before I can drain the oil (funnel, bucket, new oil).