Rattle at low RPMs while warming up - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Rattle at low RPMs while warming up

I noticed a new rattling noise on my bike and was wondering if this was a problem. I hear it only around the 3000-5000 RPM range. The rattling noise gets slower or faster as the RPMs change. It's the same whether it's moving or revving while standing still in neutral. The noise goes away when the engine warms up.

I noticed the noise after getting an oil change. I'm not sure if it's related to the service. The oil level looks its on the upper line of the sight glass, maybe slightly above.

Any thoughts on whether is something to be worried about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 09:44 AM

post #3 of 23 Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Garage
You may also look at the cam chain tensioner. It's generally noisy at lower rpms.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I still have the rattling noise even when the bike (and therefore chain) is not moving, so I think the problem is probably not with the chain.

The big thread about rattle has a long discussion about many different potential causes. One idea that caught my attention was that incorrect valve clearance could cause a rattle. I'm not at the 16,000 mile mark for a valve clearance inspection but well past the time recommendation in the manual of 24 months. Is it worth checking now? I have about 12,000 miles and owned this bike about 6 years.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfox View Post
Thanks for the tips. I still have the rattling noise even when the bike (and therefore chain) is not moving, so I think the problem is probably not with the chain.

The big thread about rattle has a long discussion about many different potential causes. One idea that caught my attention was that incorrect valve clearance could cause a rattle. I'm not at the 16,000 mile mark for a valve clearance inspection but well past the time recommendation in the manual of 24 months. Is it worth checking now? I have about 12,000 miles and owned this bike about 6 years.
Mufasa was talking about the cam chain. That is a part of the engine and moves when said engine is running.
Mufasa likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

Last edited by Schroeder; 09-18-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Typo
post #6 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Ooop, my mistake. I misread Mufasa’s post.
Mufasa likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 09:13 AM

Usually valves that are out of adjustment make a "ticking" noise, not so much a "rattling" noise.

How long does it run before it stops making the noise?

Any idea what oil they put in it?

If it was mine, and I wanted to know everything was OK, I'd drain the oil (looking for any metal chips) and check that the the filter was in correctly (I'd reuse it), then fill with Rotella T5 10W-30 blend.

I'd probably also check the valves.

If both checked out fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
Rattling sound after an oil change is normally the oil filter fitted backwards and the engines wrecked through reduced lubrication.

2013 CBR250RAD Repsol Replica with ABS (now sold)
Presently have a 2002 Ducati 750Sport ie
post #9 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy99 View Post
Rattling sound after an oil change is normally the oil filter fitted backwards and the engines wrecked through reduced lubrication.
Right - I would want to check the oil filter right away before starting the engine again.

If they (shop) installed it incorrectly there's going to be a problem.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Usually valves that are out of adjustment make a "ticking" noise, not so much a "rattling" noise.

How long does it run before it stops making the noise?

Any idea what oil they put in it?

If it was mine, and I wanted to know everything was OK, I'd drain the oil (looking for any metal chips) and check that the the filter was in correctly (I'd reuse it), then fill with Rotella T5 10W-30 blend.

I'd probably also check the valves.

If both checked out fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
They used Spectro 4 10/40. Within about 5 minutes after starting up the noise goes away. The oil change was just over 2 weeks ago, and I have been riding almost every day. I don’t remember if the noises started immediately after the oil change.

If I can get a good audio recording of the noise I’ll try to post it here. I need to buy a few things before I can drain the oil (funnel, bucket, new oil).

Last edited by lightfox; 09-18-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page