Easy and cheap weep hole oil leak fix - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Easy and cheap weep hole oil leak fix

Like many here, around 34,000 miles on my baby, I developed the small and annoying weep hole oil leak. Many have reported this happening as early as a few thousand miles, and some never seeing this happen.

Summary of problem is, there are two seals for the cooling system/water pump, and the lubrication system/oil pump. They both share the same shaft, therefore they each have their own seal to separate the coolant from the oil and vice versa. Depending on which seal is failing, you may either see oil and/or coolant come out of that hole.

In my case it was only oil, and this never got bad enough to drip on my driveway, but it was enough to run down my engine case and make it look nasty (probably a drop or two per ride). Totaled up over the week, it annoyed me enough to try something.

Easiest solution if any of those seals is bad AND REQUIRES REPLACEMENT is to simply replace the whole right-hand engine side cover, which comes with new bearings and seals pre-installed. BUT BEFORE DOING THAT, try this first.

https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-Re.../dp/B000NVW1LM

I am NOT normally a fan of engine additives or stop leak products; I find they're all hogwash or simply swell the seals. But this actually softens seals that are simply hardened over the years, and are otherwise in good shape (e.g.: not cracked, torn, ripped, or worn out). This does not puff them or swell them up, which many products do, resulting in eventual failure again. Also, it can be added to transmissions, so it's safe for clutch materials.

One bottle treats 6 quarts, so with 1.4 quarts or thereabouts in our crankcases, I added a shot glass full (without vodka) which is around 1.5 ounces (bottle is 8 ounces) before work, and drove as usual. One-way work is about 30 minutes, so each day is about an hour of riding. This product advertises it may take 5 hours to work, but obviously with our smaller engines, it started working much faster for me. After the first day, the drop hanging on the nipple was down to just a smidge. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and wiped dry, and after two days, no dripping whatsoever.

I'm a believer in this product, as long as those specific conditions are met - 1. Your seals aren't damaged and the leak is minor, 2. Add the proper amount to healthy oil, and 3. The shaft hasn't got a grove worn in it.

Worth a shot, and for $11 on ebay, well worth it for me.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 04:52 PM

The bike Iím looking at looks like it has the same problem..... this may be very helpful.....

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2014 HondaCTX700N
1983 Honda VF750S

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250
Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Same thing happening has been happening to my bike for the last 30,000km or so. I've attached a foam "catch can" to the hole which soaks up the oil, I then squeeze it out every month or so. I'll try this method as well.

2012 Cbr250RA

Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 AM

I’ve had some engine stop leak in for about 500km, but it still leaks 😕

As for my current solution, I have foam tied to a small bracket made from thin sheet steel with two 6mm holes in it. The bolt closest to the weep hole goes through the bracket and some rolled up foam is zip tied to it.

I then just squeeze the foam with tissues every month or so to soak up the oil. I’ve never had a drip or oil spray on the bike when using this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDD98733-6805-4464-B004-6C98CC5BE279_1553588117518.jpg (216.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg EB2F1A74-95B3-429C-A55D-95B1135368C8_1553588132170.jpg (195.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg B73A13E7-7150-44D5-82D6-E36AB217FD14_1553588150999.jpg (103.3 KB, 16 views)

2012 Cbr250RA
Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrider111 View Post
Iíve had some engine stop leak in for about 500km, but it still leaks 😕

As for my current solution, I have foam tied to a small bracket made from thin sheet steel with two 6mm holes in it. The bolt closest to the weep hole goes through the bracket and some rolled up foam is zip tied to it.

I then just squeeze the foam with tissues every month or so to soak up the oil. Iíve never had a drip or oil spray on the bike when using this.
Typical engine stop leaks in a bottle are snake oil, and best case do nothing or worst case plump up the seals for temporary peace of mind. The important thing about this is you have to use this specific product; it's not petroleum based like all the others and is actually different. If the seals can be saved, this will save them without actually hurting anything.

So if what you have in there isn't the ATP Reseal (AT-205), it's still worth a shot, even with you trying another product first.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Update: After 5,000 more miles, the leak has returned and is making enough of a mess of my undercowling that I'm biting the bullet and replacing my clutch cover.

Honda lists three part numbers for the right case cover:
1. 11300-KYJ-901
2. 11300-K33-D01
3. 11300-K33-D02

The 901 and D01 have apparently been superseded by D02. Application notes say this part is also listed as the proper replacement for the CBR250R, CBR300R, and the new Rebel 300. However, I have seen 300R's and Rebels with the same, "old-style" crankcase with the weep hole, as they complain about the leak as well.

Many searches of all these part numbers seem to show some that have deleted the weep hole altogether. The CRF versions may have a nipple and hose attached at that point.

This is how the case appears on my 2011; this appears to be version D01:

This is how D02 appears in many image searches; note the plug in the weep hole location:

However when viewing from the back, the D02 seems to have simply adjusted where the weep hole outlet is located; mostly relocating it from dumping out straight down to dumping out the left side of the right crankcase.

I will be placing my order sometime this week and will update when I receive the parts as to whether the newest part number D02 contains the weep hole or has it plugged.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

New part has the side weep hole. Easy swap, but there are three hidden o-rings inside that fit over oil and coolant passages. Could be about the same size as those in universal o-ring kits, but I re-used mine as I was very careful with them and they were not torn or damaged when removing the case. They were not listed on the exploded parts diagrams I used to order new seals before starting the job, so just a head's up that it would be in best interest to order those as well.

It was amazing how easily my water pump shaft spun compared to the new case. Was also not entirely smooth in its rotation; I feel the gasket was simply hardened after nearly 9 years. When I have a second, I'm going to remove the water pump impeller and check out the shaft to see how much wear was on it for nearly 40k miles.

I did also find some silicone case sealer material under the oil screen at the bottom of the engine case; disheartening Honda assembled and that was in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in