Won't Start? - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minifur View Post
I did try this during my attempts to get it started. If anything I think there was too much fuel (flooded) because there was black smoke coming from the exhaust. The spark plug was also quite wet when I took it out to make sure it was working.
This sounds like a dribbling injector. I don't think the normal ECU cold start operation would drastically overfuel. Maybe this injector is prone to not seating perfectly in very cold conditions. It could also be an icing issue. i.e. When the fuel is released from the injector it vaporises and the latent heat is drawn from the injector tip (similar to how a refrigerator works). Water in the atmosphere freezes on the injector which disrupts the spray pattern and might prevent the injector closing fully.

I can't think of a simple way to fix this but maybe someone who is used to operating in cold climates might have some ideas. As an off-the-wall experiment how about a hair dryer or a hot air gun blowing in to the air intake?

Regards Roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Red

A clogged air filter will make it run rich. You could try a new air filter.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM

My bike wouldn't start yesterday. It's cold here and the bike has been sitting in an unheated garage for about two weeks without running.

Standing next to my bike, I grabbed my phone, Googled "CBR250R won't start" and found this thread.

Cracked open the throttle, cranked it...started right up. Went on about my ride (testing heated jacket and glove liners).

Final Score:

CBR250.net: 1
Stubborn Bike: 0

post #24 of 26 Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
My bike wouldn't start yesterday. It's cold here and the bike has been sitting in an unheated garage for about two weeks without running.

Standing next to my bike, I grabbed my phone, Googled "CBR250R won't start" and found this thread.

Cracked open the throttle, cranked it...started right up. Went on about my ride (testing heated jacket and glove liners).

Final Score:

CBR250.net: 1
Stubborn Bike: 0
When you say it's been cold, what kind of temps?

Did it have winter blend gas in it?

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #25 of 26 Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 PM

Mike, my last fill-up was 12/26/2014 with a high of 53 F that day, last day I rode the bike.

Since then, we had a low of -2 F on 01/08/2015.

On 01/11/2014 when I went to ride, it was humid and 42 F. Tried three times to start the bike without touching the throttle. Battery is on a tender and is strong with high cranking speed. No joy. On fourth attempt, opened throttle 25% and VROOM - it started immediately.
post #26 of 26 Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Resurrecting this post from the dead in case anybody has had cold starting issues after winter storage.

To preface - I put my bike away at the end of November. Fuel (91 octane no ethanol) stabilized and topped up, battery on a tender, stored in a cold garage (never below freezing mind you).

Pulled it out of the garage today - wouldnt start. Battery was fine and it kept cranking and cranking - but nothing. I tried half throttle, full throttle and only got a couple little stumbles out of it as if it wanted to start. I cranked (5 seconds at a time) until the battery could no longer crank, but would still run the lights.

Charged the battery again for a few hours, and then I started by flipping the kill switch on and off a few times to get the fuel pump going (read this from searching the forum as another user suggested it). Then I gave it a little throttle and cranked it. Little by little it got closer and closer to starting. I kept repeating the cycle - getting the fuel pump priming a few times before trying to start it, then laying on the starter for a few seconds at a time, giving it time to breath so I didn't burn it out.

Lo' and behold it finally gave. It rev'd up to 4K rpm for a while and then eventually settled in as it approached operating temperature.

I read here from another user suggesting the fuel lines lose pressure over time, and I assume that's what happened to mine as it sat for 4.5months. Just took a while to get the fuel to where it needed to be again, as opposed to settling way down in the tank.

Best of luck to anybody that has this issue. I know searching this forum was very helpful to me in getting it started - just thought I'd help consolidate.
Stichill likes this.

2011 CBR250R - Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page