Problems with battery draining. - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Garage
I use sealed batteries from Westco (manufactured in Viet Nam) and always put a new battery on the tender to make sure that it is fully charged. It usually only takes ten minutes, but, it can't hurt to check and top them off before putting them in use.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
The Following User Says Thank You to jsonder For This Useful Post:
atakacs (03-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Re: Problems with battery draining.

Battery dead again today. Drove it 2 days ago. Bought a multimeter today & had the guy @ autozone check my battery. He said it was half charged. He didn't elaborate. I'm not sure he knew much about batteries.

My son also told me that sometimes the other kids in the neighborhood play with my bike & push my buttons on days I take the car. They might be turning my under glow LEDs on since they are wired in such a way that they don't need the key in the ignition.

So I'm giving my battery a full charge overnight then going to test some things tomorrow & have my kid educate & if necessary scold some kids.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

Riding gear: Icon Contra Mil-Spec Hi-Viz & HJC CL-16 helmet

Planned: Upgrade to 2017 FZ-09 w/ ABS

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Dren
This might help, I got one of these and I love it. SUPER cheap too. Comes with Pigtails with Fusebox and Normal Clamps:

DURABOOST Battery Maintainer 750

CBR250R Black '12
Currently rebuilding

post #14 of 30 Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Charged the battery overnight & installed it 2 days ago. I couldn't get any amp draw with the multimeter through the main circuit or the add-on LEDs. 0.00 mA. Figured it was good to go. Almost wouldn't start this morning but did. However it wouldn't start after work today. Had to clutch start it down the hill. IDKWTFE2DO. Could my alternator be shot?

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Greetings atakacs,

Charge the battery. Have it Load Tested.

If your Waiting on me, You're Late.

1999 Black Honda VQR234se 43,000+ Miles
2001 Red Kawasaki ZR-7s 18,000 Miles

A Service Manual Each, + CBR250R.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
its the naughty people, who hurt the battery,
the good people protect daddys motorcycle
from naughty people sitting on it and
moving the wrong switches "!"

the naughty people are also silly,
because they dont know that motorcycles
can FALL OVER on top of people "!!"
especially when theyre not on
their center stand...

the good people, help daddy clean and wash
the motorcycle, thus - learning - to respect
and value the motorcycle..
The Following User Says Thank You to shisoshin For This Useful Post:
atakacs (03-21-2013)
post #17 of 30 Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 AM

I explained to you in a previous post on this thread how to test for alternator output using a voltmeter.
Also, your battery is probably shot by now due to repeated deep discharge cycles, which it is not made to do.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Rick View Post
I explained to you in a previous post on this thread how to test for alternator output using a voltmeter.
Also, your battery is probably shot by now due to repeated deep discharge cycles, which it is not made to do.
I checked the voltage. About 12.3 straight across the terminals with the bike off. When idling it's about 14.6. When I rev it, it kicks back to about 12.3. I thought that was odd. I pulled all the 10A fuses & checked amp draw & voltage across them. I still can't find an amp draw anywhere. (Maybe my multimeter is faulty?) And the voltage is zero across all fuses except for the clock/gauge cluster which (oddly) kept increasing from a very low voltage up to more than 12v.

Not sure where to go from here. Bike started right up today after 3 days of not running.

My MPG via fuelly:

post #19 of 30 Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 PM

Question Basics, Got to Cover the Basics First.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakacs View Post
I checked the voltage. About 12.3 straight across the terminals with the bike off. When idling it's about 14.6. When I rev it, it kicks back to about 12.3. I thought that was odd.
Greetings atakacs,

If the battery was charged above 12.6v, before you let it sit for 3 days. Now it only has 12.3v. Their is a internal problem with the Battery.

The Reason the Battery Voltage droped to 12.3v when you increased the rpms of the engine. The Alternator went to Maximum Output. The Voltage Regulator is equipped with a Self Protection Circuit. To Protect the Charging System (rotor, stator, voltage regulator and battery). The Voltage Regulator will Short all of the Alternator's Voltage Output to Ground. So you will only measure the voltage of the Battery.

Charge the Battery. Have it Load Tested.

If your Waiting on me, You're Late.

1999 Black Honda VQR234se 43,000+ Miles
2001 Red Kawasaki ZR-7s 18,000 Miles

A Service Manual Each, + CBR250R.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Searcher View Post
Greetings atakacs,

The Reason the Battery Voltage droped to 12.3v when you increased the rpms of the engine. The Alternator went to Maximum Output. The Voltage Regulator will Short all of the Alternator's Voltage Output to Ground. So you will only measure the voltage of the Battery.

Sorry but I'm not convinced. It seems more likely that the connection through the 30 amp main fuse is bad. This is the one in front of the battery with the starter relay not in the main fuse box. The charge rate should peak but not disappear when the revs rise. That's not to say that the battery isn't shot. The capacity when new is only just enough for the headlights and starter at the same time.

Even when mine was new and fully charged on a good quality charger the voltage during starting drops to 9v or less.

Regards Roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page