Problems with battery draining. - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Voltage drops during the starts is indeed normal, but once running the voltage should stay above 14 volts. I doubt that fuses have anything to do with the alternator issue you describe, unless the wiring has been tampered with. If the voltage drops to battery level when you rev it the alternator / regulator is cutting out and faulty. This may well be under warranty, but I would still install a new and charged battery for the few dollars it will cost before spending money on repairs.
Good luck.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: Problems with battery draining.

My bike is less than a year old. Would Honda cover this under warranty... especially since I added some aftermarket lighting?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

Riding gear: Icon Contra Mil-Spec Hi-Viz & HJC CL-16 helmet

Planned: Upgrade to 2017 FZ-09 w/ ABS

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 30 Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Won't cost anything to ask your dealer if this is covered.

post #24 of 30 Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I asked the service Rep @ a local dealership today if the warranty would cover it and he said it should & he would do his best to cover everything under warranty. I'm dropping it off Thursday and probably picking it up Friday. I'll keep you up to date. In the meantime, I've been parking the bike on the other side of the complex so as to avoid pushing it uphill to clutch start it.

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 30 Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Took it to the shop & they said the system was charging fine & then load tested the battery & said it was bad. I rep mm aced the battery & installed a battery tender. Let's hope that solves it. Oh and they said that it wasnt covered under warranty since it was only the battery.

My MPG via fuelly:

post #26 of 30 Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 AM

They didn't replace your battery? That's a load of crap! If you already hooked up your Tender, I'm sure by now you know how to read the lights. So is it charging up?

It's not about how much power you have, it's about how much you can actually use.
post #27 of 30 Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

It's been several days since last ridden last friday. It started right up and it wasnt on the tender at all. Seems like it was the battery after all.

My MPG via fuelly:

post #28 of 30 Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 PM

I'm glad you fixed it. Try not to drain it again

Last edited by Giko; 04-09-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling
post #29 of 30 Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

It's been almost 2 months and I've had no problems since replacing the battery.

The stock battery lasted 7 months before giving me problems. I can think of 2 things that contributed to a bad battery. I ran the battery down once while testing the wiring on a fender eliminator & I had to charge it up using a battery tender. During that time, I had a short that I found & resolved after it wouldn't start with 3 hours of charging.

It was ok though until I shipped the bike and it remained in storage for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if the movers hit my underglow button & left it on or what but from the time I received it, the battery wouldn't hold much charge.

I think the moral of the story is dont let your battery run down.

My MPG via fuelly:

post #30 of 30 Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 PM

You are indeed correct about keeping the battery charged. You do not have to be
a fanatic about it , it can sit idle for some time if there is no outside drain, but starting batteries especially (as compared to deep cycle batteries) do not like to be drained, and if drained recharge as soon as possible because there will be permanent damage. Luckily new batteries can be relatively cheap. Amazon will sell you a new Chrome brand 7AH battery for about $30 shipped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Rick For This Useful Post:
atakacs (05-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page