Anyone else not trust their kickstand? - Page 13 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 125 Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Garage
The idea of having a bike lean to only one side annoys me a bit. Specially in public parking lots. There's not much stopping some random ass hat from simply pushing it over if they're having a bad day. Or god forbid, someone back into it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Garage
Just bought a 2012, and the kickstand really is too long. Even on flat & level ground, the bike doesn't lean over much, and does feel very "tentative".

My buddy who has been riding over 15 years made fun of me (because I am a new rider and this is my first bike, assumed I was "doing it wrong"), and tried to show me how to park properly. Tried to show me how to turn my bars to the left, slight up hill if necessary, level ground(left-right) etc.... All of which I did.

Then- wow! He didn't trust it either! He said the bike stands far more upright than any bike he has ever owned or ridden on. So I breathed a sigh of relief knowing "it's not just me"'. We moved the bike in such a way that it leaned down-slope more than on flat ground, so the bike leaned over more.

Also, I cannot fully deploy the stand when sitting vertically on the bike. I must lean right to get the side stand out to full extension. Similarly, I cannot sit with the bike upright when the stand is extended.

So we will be adjusting the preload (I'm about 210#s) and cutting the stand about 3/8" soon, and hope it fixes the problems. However, the bike's center of gravity still feels to close to the foot of the stand.

I wish the stand was mounted a little higher and stuck out further, creating a larger base for the bike to lean on (longer distance between wheel contact and foot of the side stand).
Stichill likes this.
post #123 of 125 Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM

I compared my bike to another 2012 CBR250R parked side-by-side on level ground. It was clear that my bike stands considerably more upright than the other guy's bike. There's something different about the geometry or tolerances that we couldn't identify.

Beware of your front or rear tires sitting in a small depression in the pavement (such as left by a heavy car). This will cause the bike to stand even more upright, in my case it lead to a tipover on the right side, moments after I took my hands off the bike.

I also have to lean the bike to the right to extend the side stand, then stand up - causing the bike to rise on the suspension - and then set the bike on the side stand.

I always take a little extra time to survey my parking options, always looking for spaces that face a little uphill and slope down a little to the left.

Let us know how the 3/8" shortening operation turns out. Would like to see photos of the modification process and results.

post #124 of 125 Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Ask your buddy, what happens with a 'normal kickstand, in case you forget it and drive away, a quick/er left corner in front.
If you can drive away.
Most big bikes I had before, they didn't allow to drive away with a kickstand down.
And then ask him, what he expect, to happen in the same situation, with this kickstand.

Yes, it is short. But it's short for a reason.

Instead of getting the bike down, it will swing in, as soon you get in contact with the road.
You would have to try that function, after cutting it down.

Aside: It's working well, afaik.

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #125 of 125 Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
There's something different about the geometry or tolerances that we couldn't identify
The time will lean the bike a bit more. Quicker, if you do the 'sidestand spin' every now and then.

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page