DIY Oil Change - Page 39 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 386 Old 04-29-2018, 10:05 PM

Just use a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket. No need for exact torque, and often trying to get to the recommended spec can lead to problems.

Tighten to "snug". Maybe a little more if you see any leakage.
MotoMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 386 Old 04-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Im going to do my yearly oil change next weekend. I've done it a few times with success but those four bolts that fasten the oil filter always give me anxiety.

I bought the torque wrench in the link below. I'm not sure if I want to temp fate and use it or just stick with what worked in the past...using my wrench and not tightening in excess. I kind of think the below torque wrench does not even go low enough for these bolts and using my hand would still be the best bet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Actually, it may not go high enough. Those gunsmith's 'screwdriver style' torque drivers are made for very low value torque settings on applications like scope mounts, trigger assemblies, etc.

In any case, you'll need to convert from the stated torque spec (which as I recall is stated in the CBR250R O/M as 7 ft.-lbs) for those oil filter cover screws, to inch pounds. So 7 ft.-lbs. would equal 84 in.-lbs.

I have a pretty accurate 1/4" drive torque wrench, which I'll use for critical fasteners calling for a low torque value... but I don't use it for these oil filter cover screws. I prefer to just hand tighten them by feel using a regular 1/4" drive ratchet & socket.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 05-05-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #383 of 386 Old 05-01-2018, 06:05 AM

I don't know why I keep seeing people wanting to use torque wrenches on the oil filter cover bolts of the CBR250R after all of the tales of calamity and catastrophe available in the archives of this forum from people who found out the hard way that the oil filter cover bolts are crap. Even using a socket wrench can be risky unless it's a quality one that you're very familiar with using on small bolts.
The only tool I will use to tighten those oil filter cover bolts is a nut driver.

post #384 of 386 Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 PM

Why are there not any aftermarket bolts if these things snap so easily?
post #385 of 386 Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippplePPP View Post
Why are there not any aftermarket bolts if these things snap so easily?
I haven't had any of these oil filter cover screws* break, and that's after numerous filter changes. As for those who have had them break, no doubt it is due to applying too much torque. In some cases owners were using a 3/8" drive torque wrench, which is way too large for this application. Hard to believe, but I recall reading a post here of at least one owner using a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

One thing to keep in mind regarding these filter covers screws is that you really wouldn't want a screw that is of a higher, stronger grade in this application, because if it were to be over tightened you'd end up with damaged threads inside the crankcase cover. Better to have a lower grade fastener that will break when over tightened well before thread damage occurs.

As it has been said over and over in this thread and others, these screws do not require very much force in order to compress the ridge of the metal cover gasket sufficiently to prevent oil from leaking around filter cover.

* Also worth noting is that they are not really "bolts"... rather they are considered screws. Honda's parts list diagrams refer to them as screws. I'm not aware of a hard and fast definition of what is considered a screw vs. a bolt, but from what I've seen it seems that in terms of thread size anything 8mm and smaller is considered to be a screw. Whereas a fastener with a 10mm thread or larger would be considered a bolt.
TrueFaith, jkv357 and TrippplePPP like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #386 of 386 Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
* Also worth noting is that they are not really "bolts"... rather they are considered screws. Honda's parts list diagrams refer to them as screws. I'm not aware of a hard and fast definition of what is considered a screw vs. a bolt, but from what I've seen it seems that in terms of thread size anything 8mm and smaller is considered to be a screw. Whereas a fastener with a 10mm thread or larger would be considered a bolt.
A bolt gets threaded into a nut; a screw doesn't.
And tha's the basic difference.
Some screws (like the ones holding the oil filter case) thread into tapped holes. Some screws (like the ones holding the sheetrock to the wall in front of me) tap the holes that they go into.
Now you know.
MotoMike likes this.

"What do YOU care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page