Chain Cleaning & Lubrication How To Video - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the additional comments. I've seen the grunge brush before I made this video and was thinking of getting it to make chain scrubbing easier but I thought it was too expensive.

Also, I will try cleaning without removing the chain guard. I guess I could do that between full chain clean/lube jobs, for example, after riding through rain or if I'm in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 02-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Hey guys ive only just started riding bikes. How often should one clean an lube a chain? What sort of signs am i looking for?
post #13 of 28 Old 02-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonloui007 View Post
Hey guys ive only just started riding bikes. How often should one clean an lube a chain? What sort of signs am i looking for?
There are a lot of different opinions on what a reasonable interval is, but I'll usually lube the chain every 250 miles, and clean & lube every 1000 miles.

If you ride in rain or on wet roads, you'll probably want to lube the chain more often than that 250 mile interval.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
jonloui007 (02-23-2015)

post #14 of 28 Old 02-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Thank you ill give cleaning it a go in another 1000kms.
post #15 of 28 Old 03-06-2016, 07:40 PM

Dealing with surface rust

I rode my bike a couple of weeks ago on a nice day after the usual wintry weather we have around here. The roads still had a light dusting of salt but I didn't think much of it.

Today I went to inspect my bike in preparation for riding to work tomorrow. To my dismay, I found a surprising amount of surface rust on my chain. We have had periods of changing temperatures that cause condensing humidity...apparently moisture collected on the chain and reacted with the steel and oxygen in the presence of road salt dust.

I decided to try some special aircraft anti-corrosion spray that was recommended to me by some guys in the UK who ride in nasty weather quite a lot during the winter months. They like to spray the ACF-50 on the exposed metal parts of the bike and leave it on all winter, then wash it off in the spring. I decided to see if the ACF-50 might work as a rust-remover in addition to rust inhibitor.

I sprayed it on, and brushed the rusted areas lightly with a soft brass-bristled brush. The results proved very satisfactory.

post #16 of 28 Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM

I'd be careful with the brass bristled brush. They can score the o-rings. I only use nylon or some plastic brush on my chain from paranoia. But that ACF-50 stuff is actually some pretty cool stuff. It would have been interesting to see the ACF-50 on part of the chain vs. just a kerosene scrub on the other.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #17 of 28 Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Good point to be careful with the brass-bristled brush. As I mentioned, I used it on the rusted areas, primarily the side plates. I was amazed how quickly the ACF-50 seemed to dissolve the oxidation.
post #18 of 28 Old 03-12-2016, 10:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to OzHonda
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbrady View Post
Thanks for the additional comments. I've seen the grunge brush before I made this video and was thinking of getting it to make chain scrubbing easier but I thought it was too expensive.
I'm pretty sure I picked one up off of eBay for around $5.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2003 CBR600RR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold:

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Mods:

Feb, 2014 Photo of the month winner
post #19 of 28 Old 01-12-2018, 03:15 AM

Garage
So is there a recommended brush to use?
I'm new and i don't want to stuff things up

Or just Kero and a rag?
post #20 of 28 Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM

Garage
You can also use worn out tooth brushes.

I wash my chain with dish detergent and an old sponge, rinse, dry (paper towels) and lube with ATF.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page