Clutch Cable Friction... Clean & Lube? - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 07-07-2016, 11:43 PM

Update: I used an adjustable crescent wrench to engage the flat stamped part of the stanchion where it says KYJ. I gave it a gentle twist to better align the cable tube to the direction the cable needs to go to engage the clutch arm. Now the rubbing on the edge of the tube has been eliminated. I hope that the new cable lasts much longer than the original.
MotoMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 06-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Garage
Just to wake up this thread, for the last month or so I've been looking for a cable lubricator. So today I was finally able to get one, bought some lube. Night time comes and cleaning and checking the cable just to find I have to replace the cable. So sad. And just to let you know there wasn't any tension or anything I've just been wanting to clean and lubricate the clutch. It's fraying by the bottom near the engine.
I will update when I've bought the new one and installed it.

Ride safe all.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 44 Old 06-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Garage
Mufasa, how many kms since the cable was last replaced?

post #34 of 44 Old 06-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Garage
Hey @vickriz, I have 32300 km on the clock at the moment and currently on the original cable. My cable was black so went to clean it with some oil and a microfibre cloth and ended up with wire in my finger. Cable being held together with dirt hahah.
I'm dreading the call with Honda on Monday for the price for a new one, but I will have a new one by Tuesday.

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

My Fuel Economy by

post #35 of 44 Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
... I'm dreading the call with Honda on Monday for the price for a new one, but I will have a new one by Tuesday.
A new clutch cable shouldn't break the bank... here in the US it has a current retail price of $8.95. Honda P/N is 22870-KYJ-900

Being a Thai built bike, OEM parts are inexpensive for the CBR250R, especially compared to parts prices for Japanese built Hondas. Last clutch cable I bought for one of my Honda XR's was close to $30, and that was a number of years ago.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #36 of 44 Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
A new clutch cable shouldn't break the bank... here in the US it has a current retail price of $8.95. Honda P/N is 22870-KYJ-900

Being a Thai built bike, OEM parts are inexpensive for the CBR250R, especially compared to parts prices for Japanese built Hondas. Last clutch cable I bought for one of my Honda XR's was close to $30, and that was a number of years ago.
Hey Mike,
I'm hoping it isn't to bad. I live in South Africa. So everything here is a bit over priced due to our current exchange rate of 13zar to 1usd.
I will update this thread as soon as I've purchased it.
Then we can compare our differences hahaha.
Thanks for the part number it will help.

My Fuel Economy by

post #37 of 44 Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 AM

Garage
Hey @MotoMike,
Just ordered my cable. It wasn't bank breaking but was no where near as cheap as the one you can get in the USA via partzilla.
My cable was R384 ($29.86)
So in the end partzilla is selling it for +-$8. How I wish it was that cheap here. Really need to immigrate hahahah

Thanks for the part number again it was helpful when I ordered it at Honda.

Ride safe.

My Fuel Economy by

post #38 of 44 Old 06-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Garage
Update. After lubricating my clutch even with the current fray it's amazing felt like it was new. Well it looks like it will be added to my yearly maintaniace once I get my new cable on Wednesday.

My Fuel Economy by

post #39 of 44 Old 06-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Garage
@MotoMike, I'd like to ask, I've taken delivery of my new clutch cable should I lubricate the cable before installing?
The best lubrication I have is BelRay 6in1 lubrication.
Let me know you opinion.

Safe riding to all who read this.

My Fuel Economy by

post #40 of 44 Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I'd like to ask, I've taken delivery of my new clutch cable should I lubricate the cable before installing? The best lubrication I have is BelRay 6in1 lubrication.
If you can get Motion Pro Cable Lube, it works very well for routine maintenance. Lubrication before installation may not be necessary but it certainly cannot hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page