Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Clutch Cable Friction... Clean & Lube?

15K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  shisoshin 
#1 ·
Hey all,

There is a lot of friction developing in my clutch cable as of late and I am wondering if anyone has cleaned or lubricated theirs (for their cbr) before. I saw a couple different opinions on the internet to do and not to do it and I figured I would see if anyone here has done it before.

I've WD'd the connection at the end of the wire outside the crankcase with some temporary relief, but no fix.

Thanks peeps

#34 ·
Hey @vickriz, I have 32300 km on the clock at the moment and currently on the original cable. My cable was black so went to clean it with some oil and a microfibre cloth and ended up with wire in my finger. Cable being held together with dirt hahah.
I'm dreading the call with Honda on Monday for the price for a new one, but I will have a new one by Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

#35 ·
... I'm dreading the call with Honda on Monday for the price for a new one, but I will have a new one by Tuesday.
A new clutch cable shouldn't break the bank... here in the US it has a current retail price of $8.95. Honda P/N is 22870-KYJ-900

Being a Thai built bike, OEM parts are inexpensive for the CBR250R, especially compared to parts prices for Japanese built Hondas. Last clutch cable I bought for one of my Honda XR's was close to $30, and that was a number of years ago.

#37 ·
Hey @MotoMike,
Just ordered my cable. It wasn't bank breaking but was no where near as cheap as the one you can get in the USA via partzilla.
My cable was R384 ($29.86)
So in the end partzilla is selling it for +-$8. How I wish it was that cheap here. Really need to immigrate hahahah

Thanks for the part number again it was helpful when I ordered it at Honda.

Ride safe.

#38 ·
Update. After lubricating my clutch even with the current fray it's amazing felt like it was new. Well it looks like it will be added to my yearly maintaniace once I get my new cable on Wednesday.

#39 ·
@MotoMike, I'd like to ask, I've taken delivery of my new clutch cable should I lubricate the cable before installing?
The best lubrication I have is BelRay 6in1 lubrication.
Let me know you opinion.

Safe riding to all who read this.

#42 ·
Hey guys just spend an hour or so replacing the clutch cable.
I also decided that I will take both clutch and brake levers off to regrease the pivot points and polish the levers to a shine.
They feel brand new. I've also put a reminder for every 6 months.
I've attached a picture of my old cable. It had 3 solid strands left.

Any way good day and ride safe.

Reactions: dilop
#43 ·
Mufasa, this isn't very elegant or high tech, but, I use a dropping bottle (old eyedrops or nasal spray bottle will work) with automatic transmission fluid and add it a drop at a time to the cable below the barrel but above the cover (sheese, that is the only place that you can lube the clutch cable). I add a dab of grease to the hole in the clutch lever before re-installing the barrel, also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.