Valve clearance - seized bolt, at wit's end! - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Here's another thought - remove the right crankcase cover? I have to flush coolant anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 08-12-2015, 11:40 PM

You are working with a service manual, right?
MotoMike likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
post #33 of 49 Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
You are working with a service manual, right?
Absolutely.

Mindspin

2011 CBR250R

post #34 of 49 Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin View Post
I'm starting to think I need to pull the head off. Is this possible without removing the whole engine?
I tried that and I could not do it. An experienced mechanic (don't remember his handle, maybe BBRMotorsports??? ) claimed that it was possible.
Good luck and keep posting
post #35 of 49 Old 08-13-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giko View Post
An experienced mechanic (don't remember his handle, maybe BBRMotorsports??? ) claimed that it was possible.
Good luck and keep posting
You got the name right, and he has 3 pages of threads started by him (he has not been here since 2013), but I am sure there are many more posts that he made outside those threads.

Good luck.

(no affilliation)
post #36 of 49 Old 08-14-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I searched and read through BBR's threads, unfortunately the pictures weren't exactly telling, neither did he mention how-to. We'll see how my process goes over the next few days.

Here's the plan:

Remove, measure, reassemble old shims (to advance crank later if needed).
Order new shims plus more parts/gaskets.

While waiting for parts:
Remove right crankcase.
Search for magnet.
Advance crank if not found on first search.
Search again!

Parts come in:
If magnet not found, remove head (somehow) and look @ valves. I hope it doesn't come to this....
Reassemble crankcase.
New shims.
Reassemble.
New oil, new coolant.

I only have an hour or two a day to work on this thing recently so it's REALLY slow going, but that's okay because it's only 100+ degrees here (sarcasm) and I'm not depending on the bike for means of transportation (no sarcasm).

Mindspin

2011 CBR250R

Last edited by mindspin; 08-14-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Better clarification
post #37 of 49 Old 08-14-2015, 07:03 PM

Sounds like you already have, but take a good small flashlight and check the bike thoroughly. Good luck - cheerin for ya.
don'tpanic likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkjjeep For This Useful Post:
mindspin (08-15-2015)
post #38 of 49 Old 08-15-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Found it!

Well I'm about to confess my stupidity, or whatever you'd describe it.

I set out to remove bolts from the clutch cover, and as I criss-crossed around, my socket stuck to the frame. And I thought, "how weird, this tool isn't magnetiz....dammit!"

If you're not looking for it in an obvious place, you'll miss it. Maybe you guys will see it straightaway, but I wasn't even looking there, and when I had previously, it was a passing glance and I always thought "just part of the bike," especially since it's such a strong magnet and would not move if glanced over with a finger.

So next order of business: I need to order shims, gaskets, washers, bolt, and coolant. But I need to confirm (measure twice, cut once) that I'm doing my math right:

Formula:
NEW SHIM WIDTH = (recorded clearance - specified clearance) + old shim width

EXHAUST RIGHT:
Recorded clearance = .008 in
Spec clearance = .011 in
Old shim width = .063 in
.008-.011+.063 = 0.06 in = 1.524 mm
Shim required: 1.525 mm

EXHAUST LEFT:
Recorded clearance = .008 in
Spec clearance = .011 in
Old shim width = .065 in
.008-.011+.065 = .062 in = 1.5748 mm
Shim required: 1.575 mm

Are my calculations and shim diagnoses correct? I second guess myself constantly, especially with the magnet gaffe.
tartan_warrior likes this.

Mindspin

2011 CBR250R
post #39 of 49 Old 08-15-2015, 05:03 PM

Yayyy. You found ut.
Make sure that you are measuring the shim to rocker clearance with a bent and pointed feeler gauge so you are not touching the spring retainer.
Rather than trying to just order the exact shims that you think you need, it would be nice if someone in your town would have the aftermarket shim kit that is the same for the Honda dirt bikes. It has all the shim sizes in one box so you could pick out a few that you think you might need to keep from having to drive back and forth to the store to get more if the final measurement doesn't follow the calculations.
mindspin likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
mindspin (08-16-2015)
post #40 of 49 Old 08-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Garage
It has been a few years since I replaced shims. I used a form and changed the specs for my NX250 (shim under bucket). When I did that, I ordered shims to give me the maximum allowable valve clearance. 18K miles later, they were still ~ mid range, as I checked valve clearance one more time before selling the bike.

Edit: Not trusting myself, I did the measurements three different times and used the average of the values. They were very close to identical. If you have one "flyer", you should probably remeasure that valve clearance again.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 08-15-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add multiple measurements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page