Chain and sprocket life span - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Chain and sprocket life span

This is my sprocket at 28k kms

When did you guys change yours?

My chain still seems alright, the slack is about 1.5 cm and the indicator is just before the red area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
That's a pretty good amount of km's to get from a chain & sprocket set... some have had to replace them a lot sooner than that.

Don't just replace the sprocket though... you need to replace both sprockets and the chain as a set. If you don't, the worn chain will take out the new sprocket in short order. Same would be true if you were to install a new chain on worn sprockets.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 AM

I think I got a bit over 20k km out of my chain and sprockets. I let chain maintenance slide every now and then though.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2015, 02:41 PM

I replaced my chain and sprockets at 17k miles / 27km. The chain had several tight links, even though I had been fanatical about keeping it lubed. The O-rings must have allowed the internal lubricant to escape...not sure. I did ride the bike occasionally in the winter (only when road surface temperatures were above freezing) and salty water from melting roadside snow piles got on the chain. This may have started some hidden internal corrosion that was not visible on the outside.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-22-2015, 01:54 PM

My chain got tight links by 14,000 miles. Didn't bother replacing the sprockets.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 PM

Garage
8k miles for first chain 11k for second but I'm terrible at chain maintenance.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
post #7 of 13 Old 08-23-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Haha sorry guys I actually forgot to ask the ultimate question...
From the looks of it, does the sprocket need replacing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
My chain got tight links by 14,000 miles. Didn't bother replacing the sprockets.
Actually I was thinking of doing that, just changing to a not so expensive chain and let it wear out since (to me) the sprocket teeth still look kinda good.

What do you guys think?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 AM

It does look like your rear sprocket is still good enough to use but they only cost like $20 right and a new chain will like a new sprocket much better. I have a custom hard aluminum 36T sprocket that I didn't want to throw away yet so I kept mine on.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage^ View Post
Haha sorry guys I actually forgot to ask the ultimate question...
From the looks of it, does the sprocket need replacing?

... just changing to a not so expensive chain and let it wear out since (to me) the sprocket teeth still look kinda good.

What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
That's a pretty good amount of km's to get from a chain & sprocket set... some have had to replace them a lot sooner than that.

Don't just replace the sprocket though... you need to replace both sprockets and the chain as a set. If you don't, the worn chain will take out the new sprocket in short order. Same would be true if you were to install a new chain on worn sprockets.
As I said in my previous post, if you were to install a new chain on worn sprockets, the new chain will wear quicker than it would on new sprockets. Ultimately you'd end up spending more money, not less, by doing that.

You said in your first post that you had some axle adjustment left... if it were me I would either run those chain & sprockets 'as is' a while longer, or just replace them now. Either way, worn out chain & sprockets should be replaced as a set.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Mage^ (08-24-2015)
post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
As I said in my previous post, if you were to install a new chain on worn sprockets, the new chain will wear quicker than it would on new sprockets. Ultimately you'd end up spending more money, not less, by doing that.

You said in your first post that you had some axle adjustment left... if it were me I would either run those chain & sprockets 'as is' a while longer, or just replace them now. Either way, worn out chain & sprockets should be replaced as a set.
When replacing sprockets, is it customary to replace both the engine side and the tire side at the same time? Or, the tire side tend to wear out faster, so just the tire side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page