Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Chain and sprocket life span

13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Stichill 
#1 ·
This is my sprocket at 28k kms

When did you guys change yours?

My chain still seems alright, the slack is about 1.5 cm and the indicator is just before the red area

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a pretty good amount of km's to get from a chain & sprocket set... some have had to replace them a lot sooner than that.

Don't just replace the sprocket though... you need to replace both sprockets and the chain as a set. If you don't, the worn chain will take out the new sprocket in short order. Same would be true if you were to install a new chain on worn sprockets.

#4 ·
I replaced my chain and sprockets at 17k miles / 27km. The chain had several tight links, even though I had been fanatical about keeping it lubed. The O-rings must have allowed the internal lubricant to escape...not sure. I did ride the bike occasionally in the winter (only when road surface temperatures were above freezing) and salty water from melting roadside snow piles got on the chain. This may have started some hidden internal corrosion that was not visible on the outside.

#7 ·
Haha sorry guys I actually forgot to ask the ultimate question...
From the looks of it, does the sprocket need replacing?

Actually I was thinking of doing that, just changing to a not so expensive chain and let it wear out since (to me) the sprocket teeth still look kinda good.

What do you guys think?

#12 · (Edited)
What about if you replaced the factory O-ring chain at 12k miles and then bought a $25 non o ring chain to use in order to fully wear out the stock sprockets.

This would be a hybrid style approach. What are your opinions on this?

https://www.amazon.com/NICHE-Drive-Standard-Connecting-Master/dp/B07VFXR32R/

I think if I can get an extra 8000 miles with the non o ring chain (with the remaining stock sprockets) it may be the best way to economize

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.