Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Help, Cost effective oil change kit

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  MotoMike 
#1 ·
Hello!

Ive already read the diy oil change sticky: and am about to attempt my first oil change.

I had a quick google of that part/prices i would need for this and found a package from a local dealer:

Honda CBR250R Oil Change Kit
for $48.05AUD or 36.66US

Consisting of:
2 Litres Genuine Honda GN4 10-30W Oil
Genuine Honda replacement filter
Genuine Honda Sump Plug Washer
Genuine Honda Oil Filter Gasket.

Now, at first glace this looks like pretty good value for money but then i thought surely i could get that oil in bulk (like a 5 liter container) and the oil filter cheaper?

Or is that pretty spot on for price?

#2 ·
Hey Corey,

Have you phoned up your nearest Honda dealer to check out their costs.

I buy my oil filter, gasket and sump plug washer from the dealer. The cost of that is only R115.00 ($8.16US / $10.71AUD)

On the oil side I by Castrol Act>Evo at R160.00 for 2 liters ($11.35US / $18.62AUD)

Total of +- R 275.00 ($19.51US /$25.60AUD)

Indeed the costs will be different from country to country but never rule out your dealer.

Good luck and have fun with the oil change. It's a good time to get to know more about the bike.

Safe riding.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Reactions: shisoshin
#3 ·
Find something better than GN-4. I would suggest a synthetic. Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 is a synthetic blend. There are also top synthetic cycle oils like Motul, Repsol, etc that are superior.

The CBR doesn't carry a lot of oil, so I would recommend using a top quality oil, checking it often, and changing it often. It's not a big expense, and it can prevent major damage. In the big picture, even the best oils are cheap. I never skimp.

#6 ·
No need to change the bolt washer or the oil filter gasket every change. Still factory on mine and doesn't leak a drop.

I order my HF112 filters from ebay in a 3 pack for ~$10, and buy a gallon of Rotella T5 at Walfart for about $14. That's enough for three changes, so $24/3 = $8 each.

#9 ·
register with your dealer as a
customer/owner for discounts..
the kit is handy as all in one box
and dino ok for run-in period..

the main go tho is regular changes,
making sure of correct levels
whatever correct oil you choose..

i reckon the gn4 is good for run-in
and initial period then perhaps
a good semi-synthetic like silkolene
[which auto one sells by the litre]
but as members say, there are many
choices with price a factor..

great knowing about oils etc,
but the main go is still, doing it..

#11 ·
Hey Corey,

I'll chuck my 10 cents worth in here as a fellow Australasian just to mix up the blend a bit.

I've been doing my own changes on 250R & 300R for three years now and have never replaced either the filter housing cover gasket or the drain plug crush washer. Have never had a leak.

I buy the K&N 112 filters online for $11 NZD a pop.

I buy 4 liter packs of Castrol Power One 4T which is a semi-synthetic motorcycle oil at Super Cheap Autos for $60NZD (pity it didnt come in a 5 liter pack)

No probs so far. :)

#12 ·
I just did a change. Got the oil filter and crush washer from amazon for less than 10 bucks. Bought two quarts of Mobil 1 4T racing oil for 20 bucks. Reused the filter housing gasket. Total cost, about $28. The oil is the higher priced thing, but like someone else said, we don't do changes that often so getting the best is a good practice. My only quibble, I hate that %*&# filter housing. I miss the spin-ons!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.