Rear Sprocket removal - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkv357

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-13-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Rear Sprocket removal

I have started the modification of my cbr by installing taller gearing for my hypermiling endeavors. I purchased a 15t front sprocket and a 36t rear sprocket. The front sprocket installation was easy but I see I will need to modify the cover. When I went to remove the rear sprocket I found that the nuts and bolts were very tight and I was starting to strip them when I applied more force. I researched this forum and found the trick is to use an impact wrench on the nuts rather than trying the loosen the bolts via the 6mm hex hole. My question is how do I separate the hub that the sprocket is attached to from the wheel. I had assumed it would just pull out from the cushdrive. Is there a hidden or some other attachment? Or is it just tight and I need to pry harder. Please let me know.
@sendler? @MotoMike ? @jvk357? thanks

Hypermiling to a better tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 PM

I did have had the cush drive apart to install plastic shims that I cut to take up the extreme free play, but don't remember anything in particular about that or the sprocket bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sendler; 10-13-2017 at 02:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
greenaero (10-13-2017)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM

I think heating the sprocket nuts may be required to avoid problems.

Not sure what the torque spec is on them, but be careful. My son just made a mess of his R6 sprocket carrier by trying to torque them to the recommended spec. I told him I thought it was too much - but the factory spec has to be right - right? Turns out it's pretty common to strip them when trying to get to the recommended torque. Not sure how they screw it up, but it was over what the standard torque is for that size of fastener. Shoulda listened to the Old Man...

Double check the factory spec with a table of standard torque specs for the fastener. Know that the size of the socket/wrench that is used does not tell you the size of the fastener. You need to measure the actual diameter of the bolt. You will get a diameter like 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, etc., for most sprocket nuts and bolts.

Vic - the sprocket carrier should pull out of the wheel. It may be snug, but I've never seen any type of retaining system used.
shisoshin likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkv357 For This Useful Post:
greenaero (10-13-2017)

post #4 of 5 Old 10-13-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Jay and Scott, thanks for the quick replies! I couldn't imagine any additional retainer for the sprocket hub, thanks for confirming this.

Hypermiling to a better tomorrow
post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 AM

When you reassemble it put some rubber grease on the rubber spider to aid the process of dis-assembly next time.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
The Following User Says Thank You to kiwi rider For This Useful Post:
greenaero (10-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page