Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Rear Sprocket removal

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kiwi rider 
#1 ·
I have started the modification of my cbr by installing taller gearing for my hypermiling endeavors. I purchased a 15t front sprocket and a 36t rear sprocket. The front sprocket installation was easy but I see I will need to modify the cover. When I went to remove the rear sprocket I found that the nuts and bolts were very tight and I was starting to strip them when I applied more force. I researched this forum and found the trick is to use an impact wrench on the nuts rather than trying the loosen the bolts via the 6mm hex hole. My question is how do I separate the hub that the sprocket is attached to from the wheel. I had assumed it would just pull out from the cushdrive. Is there a hidden or some other attachment? Or is it just tight and I need to pry harder. Please let me know.
@sendler? @MotoMike ? @jvk357? thanks

#3 ·
I think heating the sprocket nuts may be required to avoid problems.

Not sure what the torque spec is on them, but be careful. My son just made a mess of his R6 sprocket carrier by trying to torque them to the recommended spec. I told him I thought it was too much - but the factory spec has to be right - right? Turns out it's pretty common to strip them when trying to get to the recommended torque. Not sure how they screw it up, but it was over what the standard torque is for that size of fastener. Shoulda listened to the Old Man...

Double check the factory spec with a table of standard torque specs for the fastener. Know that the size of the socket/wrench that is used does not tell you the size of the fastener. You need to measure the actual diameter of the bolt. You will get a diameter like 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, etc., for most sprocket nuts and bolts.

Vic - the sprocket carrier should pull out of the wheel. It may be snug, but I've never seen any type of retaining system used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.