Tire Recommendation - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM

I use Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my bike for 12.000 mile. The grip of this tire wear quite quickly. But for daily commuting non aggresive ride, the tire still usable. The tire thread still reasonably deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelta32 View Post
I use Michelin Pilot Street Radial on my bike for 12.000 mile. The grip of this tire wear quite quickly. But for daily commuting non aggresive ride, the tire still usable. The tire thread still reasonably deep.
I would not consider a tire to be wearing quickly if its got 12,000 miles on it and the tread grooves are still 'reasonably deep'. To the contrary, that describes a tire with very good wear properties, which is to be expected from a sport touring tire like the Michelin PSR.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #13 of 29 Old 11-12-2017, 02:14 AM

I went from stock IRC's to Michelin PSR's . As you would expect the Michelins had superior grip and handling characteristics over the stock tyre but what I didn't expect was better mileage.
Got 13,500km out of stock rear (down to canvas) and the Michelin had 16,000km on it when I sold the bike and it was only 80% worn.
If I got 12,000 miles out of a rear tyre I would be turning in circles singing hallelujah.
MotoMike likes this.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400

post #14 of 29 Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
I went from stock IRC's to Michelin PSR's . As you would expect the Michelins had superior grip and handling characteristics over the stock tyre but what I didn't expect was better mileage.
Got 13,500km out of stock rear (down to canvas) and the Michelin had 16,000km on it when I sold the bike and it was only 80% worn.
If I got 12,000 miles out of a rear tyre I would be turning in circles singing hallelujah.
I got 17000 out of the stock IRC's, and 18k on my replacement Kendas and still going. I'll likely get 22-23k out of the rear before I need to swap it again.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #15 of 29 Old 12-14-2017, 04:14 PM

Shinko makes a new tire now specifically for the 250cc-400cc bike range. That had a nice add in Rider magazine this past month.
post #16 of 29 Old 12-14-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerider View Post
Shinko makes a new tire now specifically for the 250cc-400cc bike range. That had a nice add in Rider magazine this past month.
Are you talking about these: https://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/sr880881/211901

They've been around a while. M/C garage did a small bike tyre shootout a couple of years ago and they came 2nd from memory. That was taking value into account.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
post #17 of 29 Old 12-15-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Are you talking about these: https://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/sr880881/211901

They've been around a while. M/C garage did a small bike tyre shootout a couple of years ago and they came 2nd from memory. That was taking value into account.
I guess I can understand that is a concern for some, but for me it makes little difference.

I want a good, long-lasting (from a traction point of view), tire that is going to perform up to and beyond the ability of the rider and the cycle.

That usually means a sport tire, but I have found that conditions and temperature are more critical with that type of tire. A top-notch sport touring tire provides less overall grip, but in a wider range of conditions and temps.

Being a believer that "racing improves the breed", I tend to go with manufacturers that have proven themselves on the track - Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, etc.
shisoshin likes this.
post #18 of 29 Old 12-24-2017, 10:04 AM

I have used two rear and one front of the original IRC Roadwinner which took me 31,000 miles through dark, rain, and wind. I then took off the Michelin Pilot Street Bias that came on my R3 and put them on the CBR250R and have another 24,000 on those .The rear is whipped. The front feels choppy. The fuel efficieny improved several percent with the michelins so I bought another pair of new take offs from the R3 forum for $75 shipped. They are not the stickiest tire but last really well for commuting and touring and both of these work well right out of the garage in all temps and rain. I bought Bridgestone S20 evo's for the R3 and they are much stickier and the ride quality is very nice being a soft radial but this size is single compound and both front and rear have big flat centers already at 3,000 miles. Only for canyon racers that don't rack up many miles. The nicest tire I have ridden is the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4 on the FZ07. Fantastic smooth ride quality and the best wet braking in tests. But they don't make them in our size.
If you rack up miles, I would recommend buying a set of take offs from an R3 or CBR300 for half price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
Try Kenda's Cruiser ST lines. They're sport touring and last a good long while. I have ~18k miles on the rear and will probably get another 3-4k out of it before replacement. The front I can't say as I replaced the first at ~25k miles then replaced again when I got a gash in it from road debris.

I've had good grip when cold or warm, wet or dry. I will say I haven't been as impressed with them on the front as I was with the back, but I think the vibes I get are from the balancing beads. Not sure the front took to them as well as the back did.
I have a Kenda Cruiser on my front as well. I got it in part because someone who reviewed them, said they did well for him on gravel roads, which I'm fond of exploring. I'm not a knee dragging kind of rider but I do enjoy the twisties on pavement as well. So far it's been really good. I'll replace the back tire with a Kenda when the time comes. It's a cheap tire too. I may not be able to discern the subtle differences between most tires, but one thing I can say for sure; a cheaper newish tire is way better than a squared off expensive tire that you can't afford to replace.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM

One of the best tires that you could put on this bike are the Pirelli Sport Demons. I recently purchased them last season and they change the bike completely. I have over 6,000 miles on them and they are still kicking ass. I've been caught in rain conditions on both the IRC and the Pirellis and I can truly say the SDs have amazing grip. Bottom line is. For street riding these are perfect. A perfect balance between sport and sport touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page