User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 02-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I have used two rear and one front of the original IRC Roadwinner which took me 31,000 miles through dark, rain, and wind. I then took off the Michelin Pilot Street Bias that came on my R3 and put them on the CBR250R and have another 24,000 on those .The rear is whipped. The front feels choppy. The fuel efficieny improved several percent with the michelins so I bought another pair of new take offs from the R3 forum for $75 shipped. They are not the stickiest tire but last really well for commuting and touring and both of these work well right out of the garage in all temps and rain. I bought Bridgestone S20 evo's for the R3 and they are much stickier and the ride quality is very nice being a soft radial but this size is single compound and both front and rear have big flat centers already at 3,000 miles. Only for canyon racers that don't rack up many miles. The nicest tire I have ridden is the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4 on the FZ07. Fantastic smooth ride quality and the best wet braking in tests. But they don't make them in our size.
If you rack up miles, I would recommend buying a set of take offs from an R3 or CBR300 for half price.
The Pilot Street Radial is made in sizes to fit the wheels of the CBR250R/CBR300R. Needless to say the Pilot Street Radial is superior to the Pilot Street bias ply tire. And the PSR is not very expensive relative to the prices for other top shelf, name brand tires. For example, Revzilla is currently offering the Michelin Pilot Street Radial at $100.82 USD for a 110/70R17 front, and $111.61 USD for the 140/70R17 rear. Those prices also includes free shipping in the US.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...al-front-tires

http://moto.michelin.com/DC/en/tyres...et-radial.html

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 02-21-2018, 10:41 AM

The Pilot Street Radial can't be compared to the wet performance of the Pilot road4. And didn't really shine on the track when Ari did the comparo. But they are a long lasting commuter tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The Pilot Street Radial can't be compared to the wet performance of the Pilot road4. And didn't really shine on the track when Ari did the comparo. But they are a long lasting commuter tire.
Neither can the IRC Roadwinner be fairly compared to the Pilot Road 4. And given that the Pilot Road 4 isn't even available in sizes for small displacement bikes like the CBR250R, I'm not sure what that particular tire has to do with this thread topic.

As I said, the Pilot Street Radial is superior to the bias ply Pilot Street, and for obvious reasons (one being that it is a radial construction tire). It also utilizes Silica in the tread compound, which gives the tire superior wet grip as well as extended wear properties.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #24 of 29 Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Neither can the IRC Roadwinner be fairly compared to the Pilot Road 4. And given that the Pilot Road 4 isn't even available in sizes for small displacement bikes like the CBR250R, I'm not sure what that particular tire has to do with this thread topic.

As I said, the Pilot Street Radial is superior to the bias ply Pilot Street, and for obvious reasons (one being that it is a radial construction tire). It also utilizes Silica in the tread compound, which gives the tire superior wet grip as well as extended wear properties.
We are comparing tires. I am relaying my experience of tires I have ridden. The Pilot road 4 is the best tire I have tried. Even though it is not offered in a 140 I still felt it was pertinent for people to understand what a really good all around street tire feels like. Since we are stuck with a limited number of offerings it is still good to know that we (and the Ninjette crowd) might one day make enough noise for Michelin to start making the Pilot Road 4 in our size.
I have also actually ridden an extensive 24,000 miles with the Pilot Street bias on my CBR. They are ok. The rear went farther than the IRC, The front not quite as far without getting choppy. They have better fuel efficiency. The cold, wet traction of the IRC is slightly better, The radial version of the Street was observed by Ari to have the same chattering issues on the track as the bias. He also slightly preferred the IRC over the Michelin but neither was close to the Shinko or the Pirelli on the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Yesterday i changed my rear old Pilot street City bias for a new pirelli Angel City bias too.
Pirelli clames that it is coming from the famous radial Pirelli Angel GT road and has been developped for wet climat.
I will let you know what it is.
post #26 of 29 Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM

As promised, i did a few hundred miles with the new Pirelli and it feels very great, the bike easy to balance
Not yet really tested on wet roads

Be care the first miles it is a lot wax covered/protected

Ride safe
Patrick
post #27 of 29 Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM

The trick with new tyres is to get a green kitchen pan scrubbing pad, put on a little washing up liquid and scrub the tyre to remove the silicone from the mold. Always do this with my new tyres and they can be ridden with no problem from new.
Michelin Pilot Road 4 is made for much heavier bikes than ours. I used PR4 on my 650 Deauville but have Pilot Street Radials on the CBR300. Took Bridgstone S20 evos off and find it much better with Mich PSR.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM

Garage
I recently got some Bridgestone Battlax BT39 tyres and they work great

Honda 2011 CBR250R
Honda 2003 CT110
Honda 1992 CD250U
Honda 1977 XR75
post #29 of 29 Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

For those that dont live in a rainy climate (or drive in the rain on purpose) than I feel that the best VALUE is

IRC Roadwinner

I mean they are long lasting and cheap price.

I dont ride in the rain on purpose, if the weather app on my phone (Android motorcycle weather) says its going to rain then I use my car. Im not a fan of riding in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page