Fairing Button Screws M6 - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I agree that while shipping costs can be expensive for small parts it's a great time to do an inventory on your bike and also pick up those items you know you'll be needing down the road. It's also a great time to replace small appearance items on your bike that have been scuffed or scratched. These parts are usually inexpensive, but add a lot to keeping your bike looking new.
For me it's worth the cost of shipping to replace screws and bolts with OEM ones. While you may think you have a "good eye" for comparing thread counts of OEM bolts and "box store" ones you can get locally, all it takes is one small mistake to strip out a key attachment point and turn a small problem into a big one.
I learned from a machinist and always verify with a gauge, and tap/die; never by "eye". You ALWAYS match thread size/depth and bolt size when using non-dealer hardware. I have saved a butt-ton over dealer/online dealer prices, with equal or better replacement parts for all my vehicles this way.

Nearly every bolt on this bike can be replaced with superior hardware that isn't made of butter (e.g.: stainless). Check my new thread for mirror stalk bolts; those you can't even buy if you want to and aren't offered anywhere. Just have to buy a new mirror.
TrueFaith likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 02-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Good point, cbrlocal. If I had more vehicles in my stable beyond a late-model car and my CBR I would definitely invest in a thread gauge and save myself cash in the long run. I just haven't had cause to purchase many replacement screws or bolts for my CBR in the 7 years I've owned it. I've never been crazy about the cheap-quality OEM ones. They do the job, but man do you ever have to be careful about how much torque is applied to them.
Even worse are the plastic "push clips" that secure the fairings on my CBR and engine covers and fascias on my Altima Coupe. Those things seem to want to break as soon as you lay eyes on them. Luckily you can pick up 50 or 100 for less than $10 on eBay. I now have enough of those stocked to last me a lifetime and then some...lol.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Personally, I'd be hard pressed to justify spending $8 or $9 on shipping just for a couple bucks worth of OEM fairing screws. Even if the local dealer charges say $1.20 a piece for those screws (which is 2x MSRP) it's still far less costly than ordering them online and paying that shipping charge. Same goes for something like an OEM Honda oil filter... it would be silly to end up paying $15 (including shipping) for a single oil filter from an online dealer when it can be had at the local dealer for about $6.

Now if your local Honda dealer isn't stocking basic items like CBR250R/300R oil filters, they are definitely not doing the job of taking care of their customers. If that were the case at my local dealer, I'd be bringing that to the attention of the GM or owner of said dealership... there is no excuse for any factory authorized motorcycle dealer, regardless of brand, to not carry an adequate on-hand inventory of the basic maintenance items for the bikes they sell. That said, I would not consider fairing or cowl screws to be a "regular maintenance item", so it reasonable to expect that most typically sized dealers will have to order them for you.

Regarding online OEM parts dealers: I've always said that the only way to actually save some money by ordering parts from a volume online dealer like Partzilla, is to put together a large enough order so that the discount/savings on the parts prices comes out ahead of any shipping costs. Usually this means spending at least $50 or more. Also worth mentioning is that most of the various online dealers offer free domestic shipping within the U.S. when the order value is over a certain amount. For Partzilla orders it's $149.00 to get free shipping.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #14 of 17 Old 02-05-2018, 09:40 AM

As far as non-stock parts from your local dealer goes, chances are you can call and place your order and pay with a CC to get it coming.

That way it's just one trip to pick up the parts when they get them.

I personally can't stand paying the same amount or more in shipping as the parts, but some may not have a dealer within reasonable distance so the options are limited.
ladywillfly likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-05-2018, 10:51 AM

I hate the plastic push type rivets. The ones on the CBR and my Ford Focus aren't too bad as long as you don't try to pry them out and are very careful with them. But after 5 years or so in the heat/cold/ozone, they do become brittle and can break regardless as to how careful you are. Sometimes Lowe's has them, but I have yet to find replacements for our bikes there.

The worst ones are the "christmas tree" style push rivets. Those never come out without getting absolutely mangled.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 AM

That's why I buy the plastic "pop rivets" in bulk. So tired of trying to pry them off with 2 screwdriver blades and having them break no matter how careful. Now I just rip them out with pliers and put fresh ones in every time. So much easier.
With the amazing assortment of them available on eBay, I'm sure something could be found closely resembling what's used on the CBR fairings.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Like pretty much all of the OEM hardware items on the CBR250R, those plastic clips used on the middle cowl are very inexpensive. And being OEM Honda parts, there is no doubt that they are an exact, proper fit.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...5f8fe540d8c13b

Note: Above link intended as a part number & retail price reference. Not suggesting that one should source a few dollars worth of cowl clips from partzilla.com, as clearly shipping cost would be prohibitive.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page