Chain and pumping up tires - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Chain and pumping up tires

I serviced my chain before the winter and had it lubed and perfectly cleaned. I kept it under a Nelson rigg defender cover all wintry and since Iíve taken the cover off and started riding it again this year the chain is rusted again. I havenít taken the time and energy to reclean it and was wondering if itís ok for the chain to have a little rust on it. Also when I bought the bike shortly after I had an oil change done and they filled the tires since then I havenít had to mess with them but they seem like they could be low so I went to the gas station to fill them to what 29 psi which is what I read was the recommended and I couldnít get the gas station air valve to fit and was wondering how you guys pump your tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Garage
The only cover I will use in a garage is an old bedsheet. You do not want to trap moisture under the cover as that leads to rusted parts.

For outdoor storage, I've never used a cover. But, I usually rode the bike regularly or had covered storage (unheated garages can get pretty cold and damp; proper ventilation helps).

Ride the bike and re-lube the chain at your first convenient time.

29 psi sounds right for tubed 250s (that is what was recommended for the old Honda Rebels). I have a compressor in the garage. Tire pressures get checked Saturday mornings.

When touring, it can be a challenge to find a gas station with an appropriate air hose connector that works with motorcycles. I toured much of Flagstaff, AZ, looking for one when visiting the youngest boy.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 02-28-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: psi
post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 PM

I usually go to my local Les Schwab and they have the correct fitting to fit my motorcycle tires.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Garage
I have a portable compressor I carry in my tail bag, or I can connect to my truck off its air lines.

-Aph

~Ἀφροδίτη (af-rə-DY-tee)1/4L CBR, GL1000
post #5 of 8 Old 03-02-2018, 12:05 PM

Slight surface rust on the chain shouldn't effect it's performance, but if you accumulated surface rust on your chain that quickly then it was obviously not lubed completely or correctly.
I've always used Bel-Ray Super Clean wax-based spray lube and have never had a spot of rust showing on my chain in since I purchased the bike new in 2011.
I have a small electric compressor that I bought at Walmart years ago for under $50 that I use on both my bike and car. Beats dropping quarters into the ones at convenience stores and since air pressure is one of the priorities of any pre-ride check I've never had to add air on the road.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Re: valve stem fitting problems

The closeness of the wheel spokes to the tire valve stem makes it difficult for us to get those gas pump hose connectors in. Perhaps you can install a pair of bent tire valve stem on your wheels to solve this problem.

Here is a sample of what it looks like - https://ph-live-02.slatic.net/p/8/90...bp-product.jpg

You might be able to find something like that in online shops.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2018, 09:13 AM

I install these when changing tires -

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...bjqqkggao786c7
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2018, 11:43 PM

I check my tires about once a week. For regular maintenance, I use a decent bicycle pump, the large kind that you place your feet on and push a long handle up and down. Takes maybe a dozen pumps to add 3 or 4 pounds. I also keep a cheap harbor freight foot pump along with a tire plug kit in my tank bag for emergencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page