Royal purple oil - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM

NC thanks us again with the skipping of the seasons; back in October we started an extremely cold Fall which has stayed consistently around freezing and maybe into the 40's if we're lucky. We went straight from 94+ degrees one week, to 30's the next. We literally had like two days of perfect riding weather, and it's never returned.

Now we'll skip Spring and go straight from the dead of Winter into a blazing, humid, swampy Summer. :/

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I use full synthetic oil in my car, but I just don't put enough miles on my bike during the riding season here to justify the extra price of synthetic. Last season in particular was so short that my oil still looked new when I changed it before winter storage (we had a dreadfully rainy and short summer here) as I do every fall. I can pick up 2 quarts of Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil at Walmart for under $10 that meets or exceeds recommendation for the CBR250R. Using synthetic would be total overkill for me and a foolish waste of money.
I agree with you. My bike is going to get cheap conventional oil, I prefer more frequent oil changes with Dyno instead of longer service intervals with synthetic. And I use cheap 87 octane gasoline also.

Most people are only going to keep a 250cc for a year or less (We see posts all the time about people "graduating" to a 600cc or other bigger bike). So if thats the case those same people will never even reap the rewards of synthetic oil changes because they are only going to perform 1 or 2 oil changes in total
post #13 of 24 Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radha21 View Post
I agree with you. My bike is going to get cheap conventional oil, I prefer more frequent oil changes with Dyno instead of longer service intervals with synthetic. And I use cheap 87 octane gasoline also.

Most people are only going to keep a 250cc for a year or less (We see posts all the time about people "graduating" to a 600cc or other bigger bike). So if thats the case those same people will never even reap the rewards of synthetic oil changes because they are only going to perform 1 or 2 oil changes in total
Synthetic doesn't guarantee longer intervals - especially with a small capacity like the CBR has - it should be changed frequently even with synthetic. We are only talking a small amount of oil and cost here - it's not significant. Use a good oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 blend and you are more than good - plus it's cheap. Synthetic oil can save your from engine damage at times where conventional oil would fail - so it's like cheap insurance.

87 octane is the right gas for a non-high compression engine - so it's not being "cheap".

I don't think a lot of people here only ride their 250 for a year or less, but if that's the case - why even bother changing the oil at all? I've changed the oil with synthetic even when I've been selling the bike. The cost is so minimal I don't sweat it.

If you plan to keep the cycle for a while it's just smart to run a synthetic oil, especially with a higher-revving engine and a small oil capacity.

post #14 of 24 Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Synthetic doesn't guarantee longer intervals - especially with a small capacity like the CBR has - it should be changed frequently even with synthetic. We are only talking a small amount of oil and cost here - it's not significant. Use a good oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 blend and you are more than good - plus it's cheap. Synthetic oil can save your from engine damage at times where conventional oil would fail - so it's like cheap insurance.

87 octane is the right gas for a non-high compression engine - so it's not being "cheap".

I don't think a lot of people here only ride their 250 for a year or less, but if that's the case - why even bother changing the oil at all? I've changed the oil with synthetic even when I've been selling the bike. The cost is so minimal I don't sweat it.

If you plan to keep the cycle for a while it's just smart to run a synthetic oil, especially with a higher-revving engine and a small oil capacity.
Thanks for this information.

I have a 5 quart jug of conventional 10W 40 left over (from my old scooter that I sold) so will finish that up and then look into synthetic.

I dont have the owners manual handy but what does Honda recommend? Do they say synthetic? My bike is out of warranty (2 years old)

But I would ALWAYS follow the maintenance schedule even if selling the bike because that would be a form of dishonesty to do anything that would harm the bike and then sell it to another poor victim. Unless it was an expensive service such as "adjust the valves" or something like that in which case i would certainly advise the new buyer that the service had not yet been done and that they need to do it ASAP.

But i know there are bad guys out there who do not do the maintenance and then sell the bike to somebody. Thats why I am so wary of buying motorcycles with over 3000 miles on them because you "never know".

I myself plan to keep the bike for at least 3 to 5 years or more. I was looking for an inexpensive and reliable commuter bike and I dont see anything else that can top this Honda for the bang-buck.

In my use-case it would be a "downgrade" for me to switch to a 500cc because it would be less fuel-economy and more expensive parts and insurance premiums. But I did get a chuckle today as I read a thread on this forum named "I keep getting bullied to upgrade from the 250cc"

Ha Ha! Someone said that to me the other day "Why do you ride that little 300?" and I said "Because I like it". I used to go into a 5 minute dissertation about its excellent fuel economy, nimbleness, light weight and so forth but now I just say "Because I like it". And then if they ask a specific question I will address only that point. Im not "on trial in a courtroom" to defend my choice of buying a 300cc bike.

Especially to some b!tch-boy that doesnt even have a motorcycle.
post #15 of 24 Old 12-13-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this information.

I have a 5 quart jug of conventional 10W 40 left over (from my old scooter that I sold) so will finish that up and then look into synthetic.

I dont have the owners manual handy but what does Honda recommend? Do they say synthetic? My bike is out of warranty (2 years old)
As long as the oil is cycle-specific it should be fine. I really like a 30-grade oil in the CBR like Honda recommends. They do say you can use a 40-grade in certain conditions, but with a water-cooled engine you shouldn't ever need a heavier oil when the temps are high. That's why I like Rotella T5 10W-30.

The CBR is unusual in that it has roller rockers - something most cycle engines do not. That makes using a regular auto oil possible without valvetrain damage, but i still recommend a diesel oil like Rotella or a cycle-specific oil.

Honda doesn't specify synthetic oil, few companies do, but the standard Hondaline GN4 isn't that great from tests I've seen.

Their oil change intervals are crazy. I'd never, ever, go anywhere near their recommended max before changing the oil - especially in the CBR.
post #16 of 24 Old 12-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Well my 2011 CBR250R was one of the first ones off the truck at my dealership the year they were introduced, so I've changed the oil and filter 9 or 10 times since I've owned it. I've had zero issues with it in all that time, so there is little doubt that this is one reliable bike. I've used Honda GN-4, Valvoline, PJ1 Silverfire and other conventional oils in that time. I just stored it for the winter with fresh Spectro 4.
Basically I think whether you use conventional or synthetic oil it all comes down to your own personal preference. As long as you maintain the right amount of oil in the bike that's within the recommended viscosity specs, is motorcycle specific and has the correct service specifications for the bike then you're doing your job of maintaining it. If you want to take it up a notch by using synthetic then more power to you, but ultimately I think that changing the oil more often than the manual's recommendations suggest and always using a good quality oil is more important than whether that oil is conventional or synthetic in the long run.
I switched to synthetic oil in my lawnmower this year, because I heard it made starting a little easier (and I had some leftover synthetic from my last car oil change), but even in as small an engine as a lawnmower I'll be darned if I can tell any difference at all.
post #17 of 24 Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I switched to synthetic oil in my lawnmower this year, because I heard it made starting a little easier (and I had some leftover synthetic from my last car oil change), but even in as small an engine as a lawnmower I'll be darned if I can tell any difference at all.
Wait - you'll run synthetic in the lawnmower but not the CBR - what?

Synthetic is just better overall - when it's cold it flows better - when it's hot it protects better - when in storage it protects better - it's just better.

An engine will run fine on conventional oil no doubt, but when you have a higher-revving engine (higher than a lawnmower), a small oil capacity, a wet clutch, and a gearbox, you are working the oil pretty hard.

I agree that changing it often is better, but come on - it's not that expensive even with synthetic.

I guess you get my position on it by now...

Rotella T5 10W-30 Synthetic Blend is about $16 a gallon. I've paid more than that for a quart of oil!

Last edited by jkv357; 12-14-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #18 of 24 Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM

I am a newer rider but do you guys truly feel that one must change the oil more frequently than every 3000 miles?

Because this is the first I hear about that. I had been following the Owners Manual schedule. If anything I thought that in general the Owners Manual is "overly cautious" in their maintenance intervals.

How about 2500 mile oil changes?
post #19 of 24 Old 12-14-2018, 05:42 PM

Well I had some Castrol EDGE full synthetic 5w-30 left over - fine for my lawnmower, but I'm not going to put that in my bike.
I may switch over to synthetic in my CBR next year. I ran my old Ninja 250R on Rotella T5, so it's not like I'm anti-synthetic oil or anything. Sure synthetic may be "better" oil, but I just don't think it is so VASTLY superior in a bike that has the oil changed every year before it barely gets dirty anyway that it's a "must".
My car is a different story, because I can take full advantage of the extended miles between oil changes that synthetic offers, so the value of using synthetic is obvious. In the bike I don't even get near the mileage every year that would make synthetic a no brainer and I really don't think my bike is suffering in any discernible way because I'm maintaining it with a good conventional oil instead of a synthetic.
If I see a good deal on Rotella T at Walmart next year when it's time to change the oil I'll probably switch over, but I'm sure not going to lose any sleep because I'm still maintaining my bike with the dino oil it was designed for that has all the recommended specs.
post #20 of 24 Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I am a newer rider but do you guys truly feel that one must change the oil more frequently than every 3000 miles?

Because this is the first I hear about that. I had been following the Owners Manual schedule. If anything I thought that in general the Owners Manual is "overly cautious" in their maintenance intervals.

How about 2500 mile oil changes?
Check out this thread:

https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...ge-my-oil.html
Radha21 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page