Royal purple oil - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Royal purple oil

Anyone use this oil? I kind of remembering someone posting they thought this stuff was a better brand. I have previous used Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil with no problems, of course. But I could spare the extra $10 to experiment. Anyone have any preferences?

Here is the link to the stuff...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 PM

Stupidly expensive for slightly above average oil. A few bobistheoilguy tests showed it was better in some aspects, and in others it wasn't. For that price, I can get an entire gallon of Delo oil.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Never a big fan of Royal Purple.

For the Cbr, Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 synthetic blend is plenty good. Better to change it often with a less expensive oil than go longer with a more expensive oil when the capacity is small (IMO).

post #4 of 24 Old 11-27-2018, 11:33 PM

I use Walmart full synth in my car and OEM Honda motorcycle oil in the CBR250. There's not a lot oil in these bikes so I'd say go for it as long as the oil is for motorcycles and includes the required transmission additives. So you spend an extra $20 per oil change. Not a huge expense. I doubt it makes any difference unless you're tracking the bike. If it makes ya feel good, then it's worth it. Ha.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-30-2018, 08:58 PM

I use full synthetic oil in my car, but I just don't put enough miles on my bike during the riding season here to justify the extra price of synthetic. Last season in particular was so short that my oil still looked new when I changed it before winter storage (we had a dreadfully rainy and short summer here) as I do every fall. I can pick up 2 quarts of Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil at Walmart for under $10 that meets or exceeds recommendation for the CBR250R. Using synthetic would be total overkill for me and a foolish waste of money.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
........ (we had a dreadfully rainy and short summer here)......
So that's where all our rain went. Northern Europe had the warmest and driest summer for many years.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So that's where all our rain went. Northern Europe had the warmest and driest summer for many years.
Ugh....This was the worst and shortest riding season I can remember, stating with a late and unusually cold spring and ending with an early winter with snow a month and a half earlier than normal. Nothing but weekends of downpours in between. We didn't even get our usual short 6 months of decent riding weather this year.
It was raining again last Tuesday and someone on the radio noted that it was the 12TH rainy Tuesday in a row!
post #8 of 24 Old 12-02-2018, 04:43 AM

Garage
Summer's well and truly over now, we're back to regular British rain.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I use full synthetic oil in my car, but I just don't put enough miles on my bike during the riding season here to justify the extra price of synthetic. Last season in particular was so short that my oil still looked new when I changed it before winter storage (we had a dreadfully rainy and short summer here) as I do every fall. I can pick up 2 quarts of Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil at Walmart for under $10 that meets or exceeds recommendation for the CBR250R. Using synthetic would be total overkill for me and a foolish waste of money.
I can't agree.

Especially with an engine that has small oil capacity like the CBR, synthetic oil is a good idea. Because there isn't a large volume, the cost difference isn't significant.

Even when an engine is being stored or not used often, there are advantages to synthetic oil. Because of the closed molecular structure, synthetic oil does not oxidize like conventional oil - so it will protect the engine's internals from corrosion better. It also stays attached to metal better than conventional oils do.

Rotella T5 10W-30 synthetic blend is pretty common, is not expensive, and has everything the CBR needs in the way of additive package.
TrueFaith likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM

Garage
I believe that Rotella T5 10W-30 is a semi-synthetic (synthetic blend).

I use it in my CB500XA and am completely happy with it. However, I change my oil every 3000 miles; I'm old and don't ride much more than that per year.
jkv357 likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 12-05-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Add change interval
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page