Metal cleaning - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkv357

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Metal cleaning

I was cleaning my bike earlier and noticed I couldn't remove these spots. Anyone know what caused this and how to get it back to normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM

That's corrosion.

Typical of aluminum if left unprotected.

As far as removing it, I don't know that you can completely return it to it's original look. There is "Aluminum Brightener" (from NAPA) that may help, but the dark spots are small pits and most likely will return if the metal is left bare.

Best thing to do is to have them powder coated. The prep will remove the oxidation and the powder will protect the aluminum. Painting will work also, but the prep has to be the same (blasting/chemical treating) and paint doesn't stand up nearly as well on parts that get any amount of contact.

I deal with a lot of corrosion from road salt in my area, and blasting/chemical treating (Nano coating) is the only way to remove it or stop its progression.

There is some more info on my site on the "Powder Coating" page - Apex Custom Coating, Powder Coating, Media Blasting, Middleton/Madison WI
MotoMike likes this.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
That's corrosion.

Typical of aluminum if left unprotected.

As far as removing it, I don't know that you can completely return it to it's original look. There is "Aluminum Brightener" (from NAPA) that may help, but the dark spots are small pits and most likely will return if the metal is left bare.

Best thing to do is to have them powder coated. The prep will remove the oxidation and the powder will protect the aluminum. Painting will work also, but the prep has to be the same (blasting/chemical treating) and paint doesn't stand up nearly as well on parts that get any amount of contact.

I deal with a lot of corrosion from road salt in my area, and blasting/chemical treating (Nano coating) is the only way to remove it or stop its progression.

There is some more info on my site on the "Powder Coating" page - Apex Custom Coating, Powder Coating, Media Blasting, Middleton/Madison WI
I see, thank you for all the info. The parts all appear to be bolted onto the bike, if I were to replace them it would happen again I'm correct to assume? Are there other areas on the bike I should be concerned about corrosion? I will take your advice and take them off to be nano coated

Old 09-17-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhi View Post
I see, thank you for all the info. The parts all appear to be bolted onto the bike, if I were to replace them it would happen again I'm correct to assume? Are there other areas on the bike I should be concerned about corrosion? I will take your advice and take them off to be nano coated
If they appear to be bare aluminum but are not clear coated or clear anodized they will corrode again.

Nano coating is a chemical process that is done to clean aluminum before applying a coating, but isn't intended to be a stand-alone protective layer against corrosion on bare aluminum.

Most of the corrosion will be cosmetic, but it's always a good idea to keep it in check.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 AM

You can clean that pitting with vinegar, steel wool and a lot of elbow grease, but it will just return unless you store your bike in a dry place.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM

I would say they are removing brake dust and not corrosion in the video.

Most wheels are not going to be bare aluminum. Those look to be painted and cleared, in which case the spots, if removable, would not be corrosion.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
I would say they are removing brake dust and not corrosion in the video.

Most wheels are not going to be bare aluminum. Those look to be painted and cleared, in which case the spots, if removable, would not be corrosion.
Could be, but almost every remedy for pitted aluminum, clear coated or not, recommends some combination of alkaline (vinegar) and elbow grease (sanding or buffing), whether it's on boats, cars or bikes. I have yet to find an aluminum polish or restorer that works at all without putting a heck of a lot of physical effort into it.
I don't think there's any way around it, which is why it's so important not to store your bike in an environment that promotes this kind of corrosion. Just the thought of having to tackle that much aluminum corrosion with a Dremel and buffing wheel is making me tired, never mind doing it all by hand. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in