Should I Do Shim Replacement/Valve Adjustment ? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-07-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Should I Do Shim Replacement/Valve Adjustment ?

Hai.

So my bike mileage is around 26k miles right now. And i notice ticking needle like sound when the bike run hot (3 bar temp on dash). Not the rattling kind of sound that produce by the timing chain. Since i replaced the chain and the tensioner a while ago.

Is that needle like ticking sound produced by the valve ? If that so, should i do shim replacement or valve adjustment ?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Garage
One of the "joys" of buying a used bike is changing the fluids, checking brakes, chain and sprockets, and valve adjustment.

I thought that the 2012 bikes had an initial 600 mile check of valve adjustment, but, that might have been the previous year. At 16K miles another check and adjustment is on the maintenance schedule. If you didn't do it at 16K miles (or a previous owner and you have receipts) then you definitely should check the valve adjustment. You need tapered gauges if any of the shims fail to rise above the top of the spring retainer that they are seated in. See the image below (best if clicked on to get the full sized image).

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 8 Old 12-07-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
One of the "joys" of buying a used bike is changing the fluids, checking brakes, chain and sprockets, and valve adjustment.

I thought that the 2012 bikes had an initial 600 mile check of valve adjustment, but, that might have been the previous year. At 16K miles another check and adjustment is on the maintenance schedule. If you didn't do it at 16K miles (or a previous owner and you have receipts) then you definitely should check the valve adjustment. You need tapered gauges if any of the shims fail to rise above the top of the spring retainer that they are seated in. See the image below (best if clicked on to get the full sized image).

Should i replace the shim if it's out of spec ?

post #4 of 8 Old 12-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibaru View Post
Should i replace the shim if it's out of spec ?
Yes and no; you replace the shim to get the VALVE CLEARANCE in spec. The shim isn't what goes out of spec; it's simply a spacer between the rocker and the valve stem and doesn't wear down.

I would recommend a couple things: 1. Definitely get a service manual as it describes the calculation for your current measured valve clearance, current shim thickness, and the new shim thickness you need to get the correct adjusted clearance. It's worth it to have in your library for any service your bike needs, and all the torque specs in one spot.

And 2: Do not rule out your cam tensioner. I replaced mine after 28k miles on the factory tensioner, and the new one went out less than 1000 miles later. They all suck, and they all give too much slop as they age. It seems most noises 90% of the time are attributed to this.

I have a thread here that details how to convert to a manual tensioner; you have to set the tension yourself, but it will never break and hardly ever needs adjustment. The photo links are broken, but I've included a link to the album in the thread. https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...nual-%244.html

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Garage
Your valves are opened by the camshaft/rocker arm and closed by valve springs. The parts pound against each other and the valve deforms a tad getting deeper into the valve seat. That means that the end of the valve stem is closer to the camshaft and rocker arm, so the thickness of the shim has to be reduced.

Clear as mud, eh?

post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks guys. I just want to make sure that if the mechanic suggesting that the shims needs to be replaced, it's because it needs to. Not because he/she gonna rip me off.

Also, do i need to replace oil just like when the oil need to be drained when you replace the clutch pad.

Last edited by cibaru; 12-09-2018 at 04:05 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cibaru View Post
Alright. Thanks guys. I just want to make sure that if the mechanic suggesting that the shims needs to be replaced, it's because it needs to. Not because he/she gonna rip me off.

Also, do i need to replace oil just like when the oil need to be drained when you replace the clutch pad.
No, the engine oil does not need to be drained & replaced in order to do a valve clearance inspection/adjustment.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
Considering that you have considerable labor getting to measure the valve clearance, putting in a new spark plug and getting fresh oil and a new filter seem quite sensible.

Conversely, you can get the service manual and do the work yourself if you enjoy tinkering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page