Fork oil change without removing fork - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 PM

Garage
If cost of fluid is a problem, there is an alternative. I just use the GM-type ATF for fork fluid as that is what Honda recommended back in the "good old days". It has a viscosity of ~7.5 and could be used to flush old stuff before adding the new expensive fork fluids by those who want the a different viscosity.

See link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...allon/20573820
jkv357 likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrider111 View Post
I end up just doing the suck out method, and pulled out this terrible metallic black solution. I then put back the same amount of fresh oil. Next time I may take the forks off, or if the seals need replacing.

Still way better than leaving the old oil in.

(New oil is on the left)
What was your mileage at the time of change? Have 36k+ miles on mine and will likely do a change this spring/summer.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
What was your mileage at the time of change? Have 36k+ miles on mine and will likely do a change this spring/summer.
A bit over 60,000km (about 36k Miles), if I had of known it was supposed to be changed I would have done it way earlier. I've never had to change fork seals.

2012 Cbr250RA

post #14 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrider111 View Post
A bit over 60,000km (about 36k Miles), if I had of known it was supposed to be changed I would have done it way earlier. I've never had to change fork seals.
To be fair it's not in the maintenance schedule. Usually it just stays in there until a seal fails, then since the forks have to come out anyway the fluid just gets changed.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-31-2019, 04:38 PM

I successfully did what was outlined in this video, but he leaves a few steps out.
1. Only do one fork at a time, otherwise front end will go down and will be very hard to compress springs enough to put caps back on!!!!
Best solution is you need to elevate the front wheel off the ground and unload it

2. Each fork takes 11.2 oz +/- .08 oz fluid with spring removed (I used 1qt/32oz Motul 15W from Amazon)

3. I created my own syringe kit by ordering a large syringe from Amazon

Attached a 3/8" OD clear to it - used that to draw old fluid out

When I got everything I could that way, I then attached a 1/4" OD line to that and stuck it down deeper into the fork to get the rest out

4. The manual says the fluid, with forks compressed should be 5.9" from the top

Best method would probably be to remove the forks, but I wanted to try this shortcut method to see how it works.

2012 CBR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page