How Long Did Your Original Battery Last? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By TrueFaith
  • 1 Post By cbrlocal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

How Long Did Your Original Battery Last?

2012 original battery and approx. 18,000 miles. I've been pretty good about keeping battery charged over the winter months. Seems bike is starting to slow down on the cranking effort, might be time for a new battery.

Thanks,

JimW
Greensboro, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Mines still kicking after 7 years and I havent noticed any slow downs yet. Always brought it inside during the winter though so that helps alot. I would probably get one before this one dies so your not stranded anywhere.

2012 CBR250R Black
Mods:
Racetech springs and emulators, Yamaha R6 shock, Yoshi Rearset Risers, Babyface GP Shift adapter, EBC HH Sintered Front and Rear Brake Pads, CBR600RR pegs, Mirror delete with CBR600RR block offs, Ebay Bar-end mirror, Red LED dash, The2Wheels levers, Homemade Fender Eliminator, LED Blinkers, Tank pads and grips, CBR300R seat, Spider Peak red Grips, Vortex Clip ons, DFC, Delkevic 14' Slip on, Spiegler Braided Front Brake Line,Black Rims
Soon to be mods:
Big Bore?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 AM

This is the battery i would get it if was for me (but get it on eBay for the cheapest price)

post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2019, 11:38 AM

I still have the original battery in my 2011, so it's going on 8 years now.
It's never failed to start on the first crank, but I have ALWAYS kept it on a charger - whether it's stored in my unheated shed for 3 to 4 months during winter, or if it's just sitting for a day or two during riding season.
If it's not being ridden it's on the charger.
Radha21 likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Finally had to replace my factory battery from my 2011 last month. It didn't really die, it just got too weak to fire the ignition coil in conjunction with the headlight, fuel pump, gauges, and cranking. Voltage dropped to low 9's and high 8's when cranking, so it was time for a replacement. I kept mine on a BatteryMinder most of the time when stored, but not all the time. So a good 8 years I was quite happy with.

Replacement was another Yuasa of course.
TrueFaith likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbrlocal For This Useful Post:
artstenn (03-21-2019)
post #6 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM

Yuasa, of course! My 2011 has about 22,000 miles with the original battery. I don't do anything special with it, just go out and crank up the bike once a week or so during winter. Every now and then plug up the auto charger. When I bought the CBR the battery was dead on the showroom floor so the dealer just replaced it with a new one instead of trying to charge it.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 AM

60,000km and still original battery.

2012 Cbr250RA
post #8 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM

Garage
Well today my battery died. After 17500 miles and 7 years. The first problem I noticed was when I put the battery back in at the start of this year. When I started the bike it seemed to crank fine but it would run a little rough for a few seconds. I also noticed that the FI light was on then too. But it would shut off and the bike would be fine.

So today I decided to investigate the problem. The first thing I checked was the battery voltage. With the key off it sat at 12.5V. Which is the same as my dads CB300F, luckily his bike is here so I could use it to compare. With the key on the voltage would drop to about 11.5V. This was exactly what my dads bike did so for now I didnt think it was it. I then measured the voltage under cranking and saw a low of 8V on both bikes but just for a second. My bike would still to the weird stumble but the voltage seemed to be inline with the 300F's. During idle the voltage would sit at 14.1 which is right where it should be.

The next thing I tried was just charging it again. On a 2A charge rate it only took about 10 minutes before it was full. I put it back in my bike and crank it over. This time it starts perfectly. No stumbling and the FI light stayed off. So now I think it could have just been a little low. But just to make sure I have one more test.

Im am going to switch the battery out of my dads bike. I disassemble my dads first and take it out. Just to see I try starting my bike before I take the battery out again. This time it stumbles and the FI light was on. Now im certain it is the battery but Im still going to try it in my dads bike just to be extra sure. I get my battery out and put it in my dads bike. I start it and it shows the exact problem by 250 was doing. So now I know its the battery. I turn the bike off and try to start it again but this time it is really struggling to turn the motor over and the dash it flickering on and off. This battery is now really dead.

I am replacing it with a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 because I would like to shed some weight if I can. Hopefully this battery lasts me as long as the first. I am also glad it didnt fully die while I was out somewhere.

2012 CBR250R Black
Mods:
Racetech springs and emulators, Yamaha R6 shock, Yoshi Rearset Risers, Babyface GP Shift adapter, EBC HH Sintered Front and Rear Brake Pads, CBR600RR pegs, Mirror delete with CBR600RR block offs, Ebay Bar-end mirror, Red LED dash, The2Wheels levers, Homemade Fender Eliminator, LED Blinkers, Tank pads and grips, CBR300R seat, Spider Peak red Grips, Vortex Clip ons, DFC, Delkevic 14' Slip on, Spiegler Braided Front Brake Line,Black Rims
Soon to be mods:
Big Bore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page