Using w50 Oil ? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cbrlocal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Using w50 Oil ?

I live in Asia. Where the temperature is hot, and the traffic is congested.

Also, i am a heavy guy.

That means lots of work for the bike.

I am thinking to switch to w50 oil. Either 10w50 or 15w50. Because the bike sound kinda noisy after hard riding on congested traffic with hot weather temperature.

Anyone tried using w50 on CBR250R before ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM

I'm not a big fan of heavy oil. Heavy/thick oil actually moves slower through the engine, and doesn't carry heat away as quickly.

A heavy-duty 15W-40 oil would be a better choice IMO. Not sure what's available for you, but a diesel oil like Shell Rotella T5 blend does come in a 15W-40. As long as it's hot year-round it's fine. For colder temps the 15W is too thick.

A water-cooled engine can deal with heat, heavy load, and minimal air flow as long as the cooling system is operating properly. Does your bike have a temp gauge? Does it stay in the correct area? Make sure the cooling system is in good condition, topped-off, and that the cooling fan will run if the gauge starts to get past the normal range.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The reason i am thinking to go with 10w50 is, kinda ride hard. And i am quite a big guy (Around 95kg), which translates into heavy load, especially if i have pillion. My bike mileage also high. It's kinda noisy after riding in hot day with congested traffic.

Yes. The bike temp is never went above 3 bar. It just the bike engine sound kinda noisy after some hard riding.

Also, will 10w50 affect oil pump ?

Thanks.

Last edited by cibaru; 04-22-2019 at 11:02 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 11:45 AM

A 50-grade just shouldn't be necessary, and may not be an advantage as it carries heat away slower.

A good quality synthetic or synthetic-blend 40-grade oil should be plenty. If the coolant temp is not going into the high range you are not at risk. Engines like to be hot. Synthetic oils can go way into the 300F range safely. We run Rotella T5 15W-40 in our CRF150R, and it's at WOT and high RPMs a lot. We change it often.

I'd do a valve check and change the oil more often to be safe. Don't extend the oil change intervals out to Honda's max recommendation - that's crazy for the small capacity the CBR holds.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 02:59 PM

These engines can make some rattles. Especially with the CCT; its often very chatty. 40w oil is more than enough; 30w is usually fine for most climates unless it's very hot. Rotella/Delo synthetic blend 10w30 is awesome oil and works great.
jkv357 likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

One main factor i want to switch to 10w50 is to prevent oil thinning too much. When my mechanic inspect the bike valve, he was commenting about my oil is too thin.

So basically that's why.

Place where i live have hot weather, and the traffic is bad. Sometimes i see 250cc bike (especially 2 cylinder) got overheat here. And even big bike. 600 or 1000. Sometimes i see Ducati got towed because of overheating.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibaru View Post
One main factor i want to switch to 10w50 is to prevent oil thinning too much. When my mechanic inspect the bike valve, he was commenting about my oil is too thin.

So basically that's why.

Place where i live have hot weather, and the traffic is bad. Sometimes i see 250cc bike (especially 2 cylinder) got overheat here. And even big bike. 600 or 1000. Sometimes i see Ducati got towed because of overheating.
A 40-grade oil isn't thin unless it's sheared or broken-down, but thicker isn't better.

Really, if your temps are staying in the normal range you are not overheating. Make sure the cooling fan runs and watch the gauge, but it doesn't sound like there is a problem. Many small bikes are air-cooled, and that can lead to overheating. With a water-cooled engine the temps should always be in the safe range as long as the cooling system and fan are functioning properly.

A good quality 40-grade oil is plenty thick to do the job. A full or synthetic blend oil can take extreme temps without breaking down. Cycle transmissions are hard on oil, so change it often.

For you, Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 would be my choice.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
I agree with jkv357 & cbrlocal... a 10W40 full synthetic motor oil will be more than thick enough for hot climate use. Just make sure the oil you choose is compatible for wet clutch motorcycle use. Motor oils made for automobile use have additives that can cause clutch slippage under load when used in a motorcycle, definitely not something you want.

Generally speaking, oil viscosity becomes more of a concern for engines used in very cold winter temps, particularly at first start up.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 04-23-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Alright guys. You convinced me not to use w50 oil.

Gonna stick with 10w40 oil instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
A good quality 40-grade oil is plenty thick to do the job. A full or synthetic blend oil can take extreme temps without breaking down. Cycle transmissions are hard on oil, so change it often.
Good quality ones is quite expensive.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibaru View Post
Alright guys. You convinced me not to use w50 oil.

Gonna stick with 10w40 oil instead.

Good quality ones is quite expensive.
See if you can find Shell Rotella Synthetic Blend T5 15W-40. It's not expensive, and it will hold up to the heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page