User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jkv357
  • 1 Post By JimW337

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Bike garaged for a year. What now?

Long time no see folks!

I moved into the city and due to finances couldn't afford to take my bike and have it parked somewhere safe so it's been at a family members' house collecting dust in their garage for just about a year.

I'm now in a better place financially and want to get it out and start riding again, but I know just sitting in a garage for a year can't have been great for it.

What do I need to do to at least get it road worthy to drive to the mechanic where they can thoroughly look over it?

I know the battery is dead, so at least that...

Drain gas? (and how would I do that, I'm a n00b )

Is it even worth it to attempt all of this or should I just toss it on a trailer and tow it to the mechanic?

Bike is a '12 CBR250R. Located in Texas, so regular unleaded fuel and no freezing weather the past year if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2019, 10:45 AM

I'd drain the gas for sure. Charging the battery will be required, and it's possible it may need replacement.

Check the tire pressure, but also check the tires. At this point if they are original they need to be replaced - no matter how they look or how many miles are on them.

There's also the basic maintenance items like oil/filter, coolant, brake fluid, chain lube/adjust, etc. that should be looked into.

You can do all that yourself with basic tools, a place to work, and patience, but you could take it to a shop. Be aware that good shops and technicians are few and far between these days, and getting good work done at a fair price is difficult.

I always feel it's best to learn how to do all the basic maintenance on your vehicles, especially cycles. You can't be running to the dealer every time you need to adjust the chain or check/change the oil.

I know it isn't possible for some, but the more involved you are in regular maintenance the safer you and your cycle will be on the road.
MotoMike likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @jkv357 that's pretty much what I was thinking.

As a starting point, do you know how I would drain the gas the easiest?

Tires are good enough, they were basically new when I parked it. My third set on the bike (I rode a lot before I moved).

I do know shops are expensive and plan to work on it more in the future, just currently I don't have a lot of space available or specialized tools and jacks.

Luckily I know a pretty good mechanic that my family has taken their bikes to for years and he's rural enough that the rates aren't obnoxious.

I appreciate your advice and will working more on my bikes myself in the next few years after I purchase a house and have space to work on it and to store large tools safely!

post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2019, 07:10 AM

I would just siphon out as much gas as possible from the tank then add fresh fuel and some Sea Foam for good measure. But first inspect the gas that you siphon out to see if there is any gunk/junk in the tank. If there is then you may want to remove the tank and clean it out before running all the junk through the fuel pump.
jkv357 likes this.

JimW
Greensboro, NC
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 AM

As Jim mentioned, siphoning is going to be the easiest, but if things don't look good the tank would need to be removed.

You are lucky, it sounds like you have a good trustworthy shop available.

It also sounds like you are on top of the tire issue. Some people run tires until the tread is gone, as which point they have been junk for quite a while. 4 to 5 years tops is generally recommended as the max lifespan no matter how many miles are on them or how deep the tread is. Rubber dries out and traction decreases with age.

For anyone following along, the way to know how old your tires are is to look for 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall like "2612". The first 2 digits are the week of the year (26th week), the last 2 are the last 2 digits of the year (2012).

The quality of your tires is one of the biggest factors for your overall safety. Don't skimp on quality or run them past their prime. It's important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page