The Dark Oil Myth - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Arrow The Dark Oil Myth

Motor Oil Myths and Facts
I was curious about my oil color because I have been using a high-end synthetic for only about 1,000 miles and the oil is already dirty. I found this to ease my stress and felt that it needed to be shared. Dark oil, under the right circumstances, is a good thing!

Tag: Dirty oil

"Is that a bicycle attached to the back of your CBR? Brilliant!" -- markfourismore

Last edited by efoo; 03-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to efoo For This Useful Post:
DamianW (03-22-2013), jsonder (03-22-2013), MotoMike (03-22-2013), shisoshin (03-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 AM

All true....for cars.

Most cars do not cruise at 6k
Cars have plain bearings with imbedding properties, ball bearings have no imbedding capabilites.
Cars do not run their clutches in engine oil.
Most important, cars do not have transmission gears shearing apart the oil's long chain molecules.
Stichill likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
I don't worry about oil at all. As long as you change it when you're supposed to, use the right oil, check the level once a week or so and top it up if it ever needs it, you won't go far wrong. The only colour change that I can think of that you really need to worry about is if your oil goes a milky colour. This would indicate that coolant is getting into it, meaning either a blown head gasket or water getting into the oil from somewhere else.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wynne G Oldman For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-23-2013), don'tpanic (03-12-2015), efoo (03-23-2013), shisoshin (03-13-2015)

post #4 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne G Oldman View Post
I don't worry about oil at all. As long as you change it when you're supposed to, use the right oil, check the level once a week or so and top it up if it ever needs it, you won't go far wrong. The only colour change that I can think of that you really need to worry about is if your oil goes a milky colour. This would indicate that coolant is getting into it, meaning either a blown head gasket or water getting into the oil from somewhere else.

Or it gets a heavy smell of gasoline, which means you have a leaking injector...this will strip lubrication off of everything and deep six the motor...usually a rod or main bearing...
post #5 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPZ550 View Post
All true....for cars.

Most cars do not cruise at 6k
Cars have plain bearings with imbedding properties, ball bearings have no imbedding capabilites.
Cars do not run their clutches in engine oil.
Most important, cars do not have transmission gears shearing apart the oil's long chain molecules.
Thanks for input. Does the oil getting dark mean something else for bikes then? I would imagine that the same idea about suspending particles still applies, although with added properties in the oil for clutch function as well.

"Is that a bicycle attached to the back of your CBR? Brilliant!" -- markfourismore
post #6 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 02:19 PM

The soot, or combustion by product issue would be the same. But this does not take into account particles from clutch and trans wear. Nor would a discussion of car oil consider the higher loads and shear forces in a MC engine. Also anyone who has drained oil will notice that it smells different than new oil, this is largly due to accumulated acids. As I have stated befor on this forum, I made my living for years repairing motorcycles, I have seen results of small particles of debri on internal engine parts. I know owners like to reference the owners manual intervals but this makes the assumption that the manufactures are free to exactly what is best for the machine, sadly this is no longer true. Manufactures are under increasing government pressure to reduce resource consumption and hazardous waste generation. You will no doubt have peopel say that they use extended intervals and never have a problem, but what they are really saying is that they have never had a failure. Without regular compression, leakdown, dyno tests and oil analysis how would they know if their engine is wearing a few percent faster than it otherwise would. I am not selling oil and everyone is free to do what they feel is best, but I can tell you I would never and most of the experienced mechanics I know would never run oil to the listed intervals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GPZ550 For This Useful Post:
efoo (03-24-2013), jkv357 (03-12-2015)
post #7 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 PM

So GPZ550, going on your experience what is a good change interval? (note - genuine question absent of malice and sarcasm) I change mine every approx 4000km (2500mile)
using a quality motorcycle dyno oil. My bike is run pretty hard i would say. On a nice summer day 8+hrs of solid running time is not unusual. Much of it at hwy speeds and 5k to 8.5k rpm. So with that in mind is my change interval good for prolonged engine life?
post #8 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Skyway - I would be comfortable with 2.5 to 3k on a liquid cooled bike. Far less on an air cooled machine.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne G Oldman View Post
I'll agree. Honda built about 26 million engines in 2012. No offense to anyone here, but I'll be shocked if anyone else besides Honda has any meaningful information on what is required to maintain a 2012 or 2013 CBR250R.

"...too many self indulgent wieners..."
post #10 of 14 Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 AM

Garage
The oil in my dirt bike gets changed after a full day of fun, that's 8 hrs of flogging. It gets changed if it needs it or not & has never once let me down .
The 250rr is done every 3000km or 6 months
The 250r repsol hasn't had an oil change yet but will be done in April regardless of km
The car gets done every 6 months or 5000km
Some might say its a waste of money but all my toys look new inside ( yes I've looked ) no sludge or any other crap, yes if you add up the cost of servicing over 10 years it adds up bu as a mechanic I've seen plenty of people bring in crap that won't run because it hasn't been serviced.
At the end of the day I make money if people do service their toys & even more if they don't , you choose

Full of sound & fury signifying nothing ....
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeboo For This Useful Post:
shisoshin (03-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page