2018 Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge , Hollister CA 7/6/208 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By greenaero
  • 1 Post By MotoMike
  • 1 Post By Das Chicken

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

2018 Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge , Hollister CA 7/6/208

Hi you are invited to ride along or compete in the next Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge at Hollister. It will be interesting and a lot of fun.

The Vetter/Corbin Motorcycle Fuel Economy Competition

Friday, July 6, 2018

The 2018 Fuel Economy Run will be about 60 miles each way, from the Hollister Corbin Factory to King City and back.

Rider's Meeting

9:00AM: Meet at the Corbin Factory located at 2350 Technology Pkwy, Hollister, California, Ca. 95023

Gas Motorcycles show up with a full tank of gas from Chevron Gas Station, Highway 25 and San Felipe Road.

Electric motorcycles are to come with batteries charged.
Stock motorcycles are welcomed to ride too.

This is also the time for:
Vehicle inspection
Paper bag testing
Misc questions and answers

Time to begin

10:00AM: Follow the pace vehicle to King City... Mostly Route 25.
There will be one rest stop along the way.

12:00 noon: Lunch break in King City. Gas motorcycles can
top off their gas tanks and turn in gas receipts. Electric motorcycles can charge their batteries. Take a photo of energy used and turn in receipts

If there are to many electric motorcycles to charge at King City, they may have to charge and depart alternatively.

Time to return

1:30PM: Follow pace vehicle back to Hollister.

3:00PM: Arrive and finish in Hollister.

End of the Challenge

Gas powered motorcycles must stop at the Chevron Gas Station near the Corbin Factory and refill with the same kind of gas they ran with trip. Electric motorcycles can charge at the Corbin Factory or at a Charge Point. Again, save and submit a picture of the Charge Point screen. Receipts are to be signed by the rider and be collected by the leader

The fuel cost will determine the winner.

We thank you for doing your part in determining our future

Hypermiling to a better tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 11:38 PM

Kind of on the other side of the country from me, too far! Did you see my post in the CBR gas mileage thread about custom sprockets? You don't have to settle with a 36T rear.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

@Das Chicken, Yes, thanks for the info. More sprocket changes are definitely in my future. I'm currently working on full streamlining which should deliver a big improvement over my current best of 118 mpg.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM

How far down are you planning on going? 30T?

Stock on my CBR 250R was 54T rear and I’m down to a 51T now. I didn’t know about that sprocket site at the time, so I got the tallest rear I could find. I’ll drop it down to 49T when it’s time for a new chain. It could easily pull taller gearing, but the problem is that first gear already tops out at around 50 mph, and i like to keep my fun mostly legal. That and with the fingernail bending low end torque, it takes a while to rev up.

I dropped five teeth off my VFR 400R’s stock 45T rear, but it still is pretty short gearing. Gonna go for a 36 when it’s time for a new chain.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
How far down are you planning on going? 30T?

Stock on my CBR 250R was 54T rear and I’m down to a 51T now. I didn’t know about that sprocket site at the time, so I got the tallest rear I could find. I’ll drop it down to 49T when it’s time for a new chain. It could easily pull taller gearing, but the problem is that first gear already tops out at around 50 mph, and i like to keep my fun mostly legal. That and with the fingernail bending low end torque, it takes a while to rev up.

I dropped five teeth off my VFR 400R’s stock 45T rear, but it still is pretty short gearing. Gonna go for a 36 when it’s time for a new chain.
Your post is confusing to say the least. The OEM stock rear sprocket for the CBR250R is a 38T, with a 14T front sprocket. A 54T rear sprocket would give you an incredibly low final drive ratio, not a tall ratio. And a 54T rear sprocket is definitely not one that would allow the bike to reach 50 MPH in first gear... you'd hit the rev limiter long before reaching anything even close to that speed.
Bluerider likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 06-24-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Your post is confusing to say the least. The OEM stock rear sprocket for the CBR250R is a 38T, with a 14T front sprocket. A 54T rear sprocket would give you an incredibly low final drive ratio, not a tall ratio. And a 54T rear sprocket is definitely not one that would allow the bike to reach 50 MPH in first gear... you'd hit the rev limiter long before reaching anything even close to that speed.

There are two CBR 250Rs. One made in the late 80s with four cylinders and a 54T rear sprocket(17T front), and then there is the 2011-2015 one with a 38T rear sprocket. I have the cooler one. Would love to get me a single too, but I have to pick my bikes carefully as right now I am limited to two, trying to bump that up to three.
jsonder likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in writing this up.

I furiously worked to get my CBR250r ready for the Hollister Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge. Fortunately mounting the fiberglass nose and the tailsection went very smoothly. I did have to relocate the radiator to the front of the nose by installing longer hoses. Turn signals and tail and brake lights were moved and rewired. The tailsection framework was given to by Jeff Meskey who did a great job in putting it together. I only had to make one more mounting bracket to get it strongly attached to the main frame. I skinned the tailsection with coroplast sides and the rounded top with treated paper ( all recycled election signs). I reused my old side panels to finish off the full streamlining.

I only did a few short rides to test the new bodywork, one of them to display the bike at a carshow in Fremont. Everything seemed to work well except the seat was not very comfortable. Then Thursday arrived and Alan advised me that his streamliner had suffered an engine problem on his way down to the Vetter ranch. I agreed to meet him at this home after his streamliner was towed so we could ride down together. I met Alan at his home where he prepped his partially streamlined Ninja EX250r for the ride. I loaded a Zero bellypan that Morgan Vetter had ordered and Alan was asked to bring. Then we rode through the hot , congested late afternoon traffic of the Silicon Valley down to Carmel and the Vetter ranch. Thank goodness for lanesplitting.
Friday morning Alan and I rode to the Corbin factory after topping off the tanks. There we awaited the other contestants. We found we would be the only Vetter Challenge qualified competitors ( able to carry 4 fully loaded sacks of groceries). All the other 4 riders were on Zero electric motos. Later one of the Zero dropped out. Itís too bad more people werenít able to attend and ride with us. Craig Vetter led our riderís meeting and we departed shortly for the hot and somewhat windy ride to King City from Hollister. The course was all 2 lane backroads with lots of turns and elevation changes. Once we left the outskirts of Hollister it was virtually all wilderness.
We reached King City for our lunch/ electric recharge spot after about 56 miles. The only issues during the out leg was 2 of the Zeros falling back but then recovering and resuming the pace. We enjoyed a cool, refreshing break after about an hour and began the ride back to Hollister in the afternoon heat. One of the Zero dropped out after lunch and began his return trip home to SO Cal. On the return trip the only significant issues were some elevated battery temperatures on the 2 remaining Zeros. Alan and I topped off our tanks and we returned to the Corbin factory.

The results:
The fuel economy course was 133 miles. Top posted speed limit was 55 MPH.

Vic Valdes in a fully streamlined Honda CBR250r used 0.978 gallons @ $3.999 per gallon for 135.991 MPG, 2.9 cents/mile , 4 bag certified

Alan Smith in a stock looking (partially streamlined) Ninja EX250r used 1.218 gallons @ $3.999 per gallon for 109.195 MPG, 3.7 cents/mile. 4 bag certified

Brandon Miller on a stock looking ZERO used 12.6 Kwh, $0.25/Kwh, $3.15, 2.3 cents per mile.

Brian Rice on a ZERO used 14.19 Kwh, $0.25.Kwh, $3.54, 2.6 cents per mile.

Road tax was not factored in for the electric motorcycles this year. None of the ZERO motorcycles could carry the 4-bags of groceries requirement.

So, I won my 4th Vetter Challenge (but without much competition). Alan performed great with a partially streamlined moto that could still meet the 4 bag requirement. The electrics would have won if they could have carried the 4 bags due to the high gasoline prices. I have some more work to do on my CBR to match the results of previous EX250r based streamliner. The Hollister Rally continues to be a greast event with lots of cool motos and cool people. We had a great time despite limited competition. I did get interviewed by a local TV reporter but unfortunately no info on the fuel efficiency benefits of streamlining was included in the broadcast

Bikers roll into Hollister for 4th of July weekend, despite city not hosting annual biker rally

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page