Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

The CBR250R Gas Mileage Thread

181K views 688 replies 174 participants last post by  jkv357 
#1 ·
#5 ·
What octane rating does the owners manual call for? Are you using 87 octane regular gasoline or a high octane with additives?

And if you do look at the owners manual, would you mind sharing what the load capacity is for the bike? How much weight can the bike support with 2 riders?

#11 · (Edited)
Yep. I have owned 2 750 Night hawks, an ST1300, a VFR 800, and a 600F4I. I know I will be flamed for this but my favorite is my current ride. A Honda Reflex 250 Scooter! Which I will keep until I die.

The CBR250R, although I put money down on one on a whim, is just a curiosity. But with the experience I have had with the scooter I no longer see the need for a big engine.

The CBR will never replace the scooter with its ease of use or its 36 cans of 12 oz soda (beer) :rolleyes: hauling capacity under the seat but I am betting it will be my second favorite once the novelty wears off.

I am past the age where I care about what people think of me when I ride. In fact I enjoy parking the scooter next to the Harley guys when ever I get the chance to at the local watering hole. I can dish it out just as well as them in good fun. :D

#12 ·
I figured out a while ago that I didn't need (or really want) a big displacement bike. I had a cheap Chinese 150 scooter I had a lot of fun on, but it was under powered when I got stopped on an uphill & could get no more than 35 mph uphill. I'd hold 55-60 pretty well but someone would inevitably slow down to almost a stop before turning, and oncoming traffic would prevent me from blowing around them. This 250 has got to be perfect for what I want it to do. I'm not sure why the chap who started this thread didn't think the bike is suited for expressway use; I think that might be personal preference. If it can maintain 75 mph that is more than adequate.

#14 ·
I will say it does take a while to get up to 70... I could see how riding on the expressway would feel a little unsafe if you needed to speed up really fast. I can understand why people would want a higher CC but unless you are constantly riding on the highway and you could care less about mpg than this bike works really well.

#15 ·
Going from the far Northwestern suburbs of Chicago up to Wisconsin on Hwy 12 this should be fine. The hwys are in good shape and not much traffic.
If I was going on the expressways into Chicago I think Id be sticking with the bigger bikes. Way to many crazy people, I stay away from the city as much as possible.

#18 ·
Thank you for checking the owner's manual on the recommended octane. Having to buy premium gasoline takes the fun out of saving money and would taint such a nice bike. Regular old 87 octane is what I hoped for.

I put a deposit down before checking this out and now I am greatly relieved. :)

Who wants to spend an extra 20 cents or more per gallon over the life of their ownership? It would make no sense to build such a great "value" bike at this price point with a good MPG rating that required a premium gasoline.

#19 ·
Do any stations NOT use ethanol in their fuel these days? Burning our food supply is so utterly foolish while we ruin our engines. Why don't we use the stuff God put in the ground for us to burn -OIL! Gasoline is so much better for our engines. Corn to make Whisky is OK. :p Corn to make fuel is NOT.

#29 ·
I am not convinced by ethanol, though have not studied the arguments fully, so have to say I am agnostic. Here in Thailand it was supposed to be a great thing for the farmers (growing cassava as a raw material) and the country, but it has probably benefitted only a few big shots. That tends to be the norm in these parts.

My old motorcycle has to use gasoline. Some monkey pumped gasohol into it a few years ago, when it was new on the market. I said that I had asked for gasoline, but was told that it would be alright. Sure the bike ran ok, but it was not good for the fuel system. Before long rubber hoses needed replacing and the carb needed stripping and servicing. Lesson learned.

Shell service stations in Thailand sell only gasohol. Others still offer 91 octane gasoline, but it is the most expensive option by about 12%. Some of the difference is negated by gasoline giving about 4 - 5% better mpg than gasohol.

All the current line up of bikes manufactured by Honda in Thailand are gasohol compatible.

#31 ·
We actually could run just about every car in this country off ethanol made from the corn our farmers produce. Of course, it is approximately 25% more expensive per gallon, and has a lower octane...

And there's those studies that indicate that approximately half the population of Africa would starve to death if the US stopped exporting grain, not to mention skyrocketing grain prices for the nations that could still afford to buy it. But Hey - we wouldn't need petroleum any more, so that's good, right? *conveniently forgetting lubricants*.

It's never a good idea to burn your food, guys. Archer Daniels Midland will get rich, but you'll be paying through the nose for fuel and food.

#32 ·
Oh I defiantely agree with that, ethanol is not a soultion, just a little helper. I don't get how electric cars are "green" either. Most of our electricity comes from coal, how is that green? You might not use oil, but it's nor running on happiness and sunshhine. That is until we all have solar cars!

#34 ·
I just filled up for the first time and I was at about 66 mpg....

However, I noticed that I had a flashing light so I decided I must be almost out of gas and to fill that bad boy up... Well I only filled 2.5 gallons up until the gas cut off, while the manual claims this bike holds 3.43. I'm wondering two things - One, maybe you have to manually fill this thing up past where it would seem you should stop or the flashing light indicates you still have almost a gallon left.

#48 ·
I just filled up for the first time and I was at about 66 mpg....

However, I noticed that I had a flashing light so I decided I must be almost out of gas and to fill that bad boy up... Well I only filled 2.5 gallons up until the gas cut off, while the manual claims this bike holds 3.43. I'm wondering two things - One, maybe you have to manually fill this thing up past where it would seem you should stop or the flashing light indicates you still have almost a gallon left.
Ihad the same question. i put 2.6 gallons in and the light had been flashing for about 5 miles. I'm ggetting 62 mpg so i knew a third of a gallon left i had at least 20 miles. lets do the math. 3.43 gallon tank - 2.6 gallons used that leaves 0.83 gallons. Fuel light flashes at 0.37 gallons left. Where's my other 0.46 gallons. I have a hard time believing that i lose a half gallon of fuel by filling it on the kickstand but i am going to try while sitting on the bike next time and i'll get back to you.

P.S. I filled it up till it almost came out the top on the second tank cuz i thought it was cuz the pump cutoff.

#35 ·
And I just looked at the manual, which says it comes up when .37 gallons are left... Which means I must not be filling up "all the way". Seems strange though because the gas pump cut me off at 2.5 gallons... Maybe I should lift the pump out a little bit and try to fill it a little higher?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.