Can someone vouch for this statement: "Avoid Frame Sliders" - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
mbr

Garage
Can someone vouch for this statement: "Avoid Frame Sliders"

The person here is all about removing frame sliders that could bend your frame and getting cheaper to replace fairings, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koXgwv31vZ8

I understand the logic behind all of what he said and it would probably make sense in my situation.

To provide some context and hopefully scope this thread to the anwers I'm looking for: I plan to use my bike strictly for commuting back and forth to work with a max highway speed of 65mph along an 8.5 mile stretch. Everywhere else is 45-55mph and there are at least 3 traffic circles (we love those out here, but Cottonwood loves them even more). Furthermore, I am new to the motorcycle world and as much as I'm going to strive to not get it laid down, in the event it does, I would like for the bike to be as cosmetically preserved as possible (isn't that why we get these?).

So I don't plan to be sliding at high speeds, or at all, anytime soon. However, as one commenter pointed out, there's a good chance of damage to the frame/engine sliding beyond 45+ mph.

I did also get a quote from my insurance company for full coverage (comes out to something like $21/mo). Noticed that was something very little discussed in the comments as well. It was like "oh, well duh, that's what insurance is for: accidents."

Anyways, would appreciate some feedback either way. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do and the Best Frame Slider topic/poll seems to point to Yoshimura as the preferred one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Garage
Frame Sliders have been known to slide, then flip the bike over and do more damage than if the bike didn't have them. They are really only good in like ~10 mph drops. If you go down say going 50 with it and the bike slides, chances are its gonna roll and do a ton of damage and total it. That can be good and bad. Good if you have full coverage then for sure you're not going to get a fixed bike, and bad if you don't as you'll be left without a bike and it will be totaled. Even a small drop can just bend the frame on these bikes with the sliders on. Where they attach isn't very good and can bend pretty easy. I'd say even 20mph would bend stuff on this bike with sliders on when before it may just do a little damage.
Honestly, when I first got the bike I was going to get them. I went down 1 time on a wood bridge at slow speeds and it barely did any damage and it was less $ to fix than sliders cost. Sliders wouldn't of helped either and the bike would of still got a cracked fairing. I never did replace the fairing and sold it that way. I don't really see the need of the sliders unless you are gonna drop the bike at really really slow speeds. Only reason I have crash bars on the new bike is because I trial ride and they came in handy yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 02:24 PM

i have yoshimura sliders on my bike. i recently had a relatively low speed slide - was going about 20-25mph when i lost traction on a patch of gravel. other than the obvious benefit of saving your fairings and other components from damage, the sliders also kept the bike from pinning my leg under the bike during the slide.

to me, that alone is worth having the sliders on there. if you end up in a slide at 40-50mph, i'm pretty sure at that point what happens to the bike is secondary and you're only really worried about preventing injuries.

alot of people on this forum denounce the use of sliders because it may cause the frame to bend during a slide or "catch" the road and cause the bike to flip. i don't know where this anecdotal info is coming, but I can only tell you from my experience that the yoshimura frame sliders did exactly what they were supposed to do, didn't bend the frame, and allowed me and my bike to ride off into the sunset after a lowspeed slide.

just don't try to save a few bucks and buy a low-cost chinese knock off - get the yoshimuras.

here's a link to my post about the crash i had
https://www.cbr250.net/forum/riding-g...eview-nyc.html

if you look at the picture of the frame sliders, they actually got grounded down quite a bit (almost 1/4 inch) and didn't "catch" at all. they are designed to grind down when they come into contact with asphalt. I probably should replace them at this point.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 05:38 PM

Frame sliders have saved my cbr twice. For me, it's all about the slow/standing still drop. I dropped my bike twice grabbing too much front brake with the wheel turned (pedestrian jumped out once, other time just being dumb and didn't straighten the wheel). Both times I had zero damage to the bike thanks to the sliders.

I figure if your bike goes into a slide at 50mph, it's probably going to be a write off, with or without sliders.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM

I agree with the others saying that the frame sliders are most effective in slow speed crash/drop. A lot of a mishap can happen in a garage or a parking lot-More so than I care to admit. While the damage as a result w/o a frame slider would be relatively minimal, it would be a non issue if a frame slider was installed.

In a high speed crash, I really don't think they'll do much good. However, it is just my perception and not speaking from my experience.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM

You cannot predict when, where, or if you go down. Sliders can help or can do more damage. I have Oggy Knob sliders and comprehensive insurance. If it goes down low speed, the knobs will do thier job and it may be a case of fixing bar ends and indicators. If i go down at highway speeds, insurance can take care of it.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase View Post
Both times I had zero damage to the bike thanks to the sliders.
I assume, you never checked the (geometry of the) frame, right?
In the 90's, on ZZR's, a single bolt, b/c of the washer staying about 1cm out of the fairings, had chrashed a lot of frames:

(The big washer, just under the top fairing)

Because in a simple pushover, the bike did fall on this bolt and dented the frame. Only visible after someone took off the fairings. But assumable, with checking the gap, between fairing and frame, on both sides.

All the big bikes have, unlike the 250's, aluminum frames.
In my eyes, frame sliders are frame killers. Minimum for aluminium frames.

But still with a steel frame the impact power is centered on the part of the frame, where the slider is connected.
I'm not even thinking on a high(er) speed slide and the slider working as a hook or a catapult.

Aside, the fairings is so cheap, the sliders look so .....

Yep, I would say : Avoid them.

For sure on a bike with aluminium frame!
post #8 of 18 Old 06-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

No frame sliders for me. Fairings are cheap for the cbr250r and I prefer if my bar ends and mirror took a few scuffs as opposed to a slider attached to my frame hitting the ground possibly doing more damage than good.

Also if you drop the bike from close to stationary, barely anything gets damaged without sliders on. Maybe a bar end and mirror scuff but the fairings remain intact. Same as my gsxr600 pretty much.

In a big crash sliders or no sliders your bike will still be stuffed.

2012 CBR250R ABS Red/Silver

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lewiCBR250R For This Useful Post:
cbrlocal (06-19-2015)
post #9 of 18 Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiCBR250R View Post
No frame sliders for me. Fairings are cheap for the cbr250r and I prefer if my bar ends and mirror took a few scuffs as opposed to a slider attached to my frame hitting the ground possibly doing more damage than good.

Also if you drop the bike from close to stationary, barely anything gets damaged without sliders on. Maybe a bar end and mirror scuff but the fairings remain intact. Same as my gsxr600 pretty much.

In a big crash sliders or no sliders your bike will still be stuffed.
^This. This bike is made very well for a fall, and parts are cheap. The only ones that would get damaged would cost less to replace than the frame sliders would. As I've said many times before, the only time sliders are good is from a standing drop or very low speed drop, not in an accident or at speed. Bent frames and flipping bikes aren't good for the bike or the general public. New gear or maintenance stuff is a much better placement of funds.
lewiCBR250R and cbr48 like this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR-250-R View Post

I assume, you never checked the (geometry of the) frame, right?
No I didn't. Have you ever checked the geometry of a cbr250r frame after its been tipped over on frame sliders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page