CBR250R Buyer Demographic? - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR-250-R View Post
Honestly?
Try a CBR150R. And go straight back on the CBR250, after.
There is not really a need in driving results, to get the bigger 250cc bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
in the USA and Europe, superhighway travel is common and sustained speeds over 70 mph/ 115 kph are required which the 150 cannot guarantee. The 300 single is the perfect minumum engine size.
Exactly. Which is one of the reasons why AHMC never imported the CBR125R & 150R to the US. That, and they probably figured that those two models just wouldn't sell very well in a country where the motorcycle culture is for the most part all about "bigger is better".

I'm guessing that more than a few marketing types at AHMC were pleasantly surprised by how well the CBR250R sold here during it's first 2 years in the US.

@sendler - Not sure about the age demographic poll... could be one buried in one of the forums. To bad there isn't a way (that I know of) to cross reference just the threads that have polls attached to them.
Stichill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 AM

There are two street bikes in my garage: CBR250R and BMW F800GT.

The GT is the smallest, lightest bike I could find that mimics the CBR's light handling characteristics but is capable of relaxed, long-distance highway riding. I don't really need the maximum power that it can deliver, but I do find it useful in passing situations on two-lane roads. It's really like lighting a rocket when you twist the throttle.

I think I will always keep the 250. In fact, I rode it to work today and I really enjoyed just how small and light it feels. It always amazes me just how swiftly it handles corners.
post #23 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 10:50 AM

I am 64 and my wife is 59. After 25 years on BMWs (I had 8 and my wife had 6 of them) and almost 800,000 miles between the 2 of us we decided we needed a change and bought 2 2013 Harley Sportsters trading the BMWs in. After a few months my wife decided the Harley was too heavy for her and traded it for a CBR250 Repsol addition; she has had it 16 months and has 20,000 plus miles on it. I still have my Sportster but a year ago I bought a CBR250 also. We just got back from a 2,500 mile trip (Illinois to Montana) on them and my wife has been from Illinois to Colorado a couple times and to the Gulf and to Arkansas a couple times. She loves the bike and I like mine too. They will go 80 mph and do fine. We had a friend that told someone we couldn't go on the Interstate with them as they weren't fast enough. Most everyone thinks you need bigger and bigger.

post #24 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergirl View Post
We had a friend that told someone we couldn't go on the Interstate with them as they weren't fast enough. Most everyone thinks you need bigger and bigger.
Ah, the infamous "you can't go on an interstate with a 250" myth. It's amazing how it manages to survive in the US.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR-250-R View Post
Honestly?
Try a CBR150R. And go straight back on the CBR250, after.
There is not really a need in driving results, to get the bigger 250cc bike

aside, the look is almost identical.
My experience (N = 1) may not fit the group data - but I did just that. I own a 2011 CBR150R and "owned" a 2011 CBR250R. I ended up selling the 250R. Why? Well - the 250R was a great bike. No doubt there. And I miss it sometimes. And it had gobs more torque and hp than the CBR150R. However, it weighed about 70 lbs more than my 150R too. That's too much IMHO. The CBR150R just handles so much better, much snappier. More fun for me in the twisties. Now if Honda were to release some expensive lightweight, trick components for the CBR300R (e.g., forged aluminum wheels, aluminum frame, etc.) to bring the bike down to about 320 lbs - I'd definitely sign up again. O.K. - I know...I'm dreaming here....
Stichill likes this.
post #26 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
in the USA and Europe, superhighway travel is common and sustained speeds over 70 mph/ 115 kph are required which the 150 cannot guarantee. The 300 single is the perfect minumum engine size.
No problem on the CBR150R, as long as you are travelling with other traffic that are pushing air out of the way for you. I have cruised comfortably fully loaded with camping gear (including large saddlebags and top case) on Hwy 400 (North of Toronto) at 75 mph sitting straight up - in those situations - with still some throttle left. Following at safe distances.

Of course - I like riding on Interstates and Express highways as much as house cats would enjoy acting out "The Hunger Games" with Ted Nugent. Are those high speeds required? It certainly would make it easier. Then again - I see lots of VW Westfalias and large motorhomes chugging along Interstates barely cresting 60 mph.

However, if you are alone on those highways - then maintaining those speeds on the CBR150R becomes more problematic - particularly if you don't have a tailwind. Or are carrying saddlebags, and a large top case. It can be a "struggle" in these situations. And what feels like a "fight for survival" if riding into a headwind, and uphill (though I also experienced this to a certain extent on the CBR250R too). Thankfully (I can't believe I wrote that) - these highways are often so crowded - riding alone on them is a rarity. And needing to ride on them is rarer still.

To combat issues associated with headwinds while touring with camping gear, out alone on roadways - I've recently decided to give up my saddlebags. Way too much drag on my last camping/touring adventure on the CBR150R. I will now use the top case, in conjunction with two Kriega US30 waterproof packs (mated on top of each other) on the pillion seat. Love the Kriega stuff - just snap it in - and go. My goal is to keep everything in line as best I can and reduce drag as much as possible.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....er.....thread topic....
don'tpanic likes this.

Last edited by CBR250R; 08-20-2015 at 12:32 PM.
post #27 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR250R View Post
My goal is to keep everything in line as best I can and reduce drag as much as possible.
My aero plank style luggage set up on the R3.

And the new deluxe locking hard luggage.

CBR250R and tartan_warrior like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
TheoR (08-22-2015)
post #28 of 56 Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
My aero plank style luggage set up on the R3.

And the new deluxe locking hard luggage.

Sendler - I've been following posts of your aerodynamic pursuits. Nice! I wish vendors would offer more aerodynamic options. As it stands now - I'll lose a little bit of luggage capacity with my new set up - and a little bit of convenience. But I'll still have plenty of capacity left - and my fuel economy and ability to cruise more comfortably and accelerate more quickly at highway speeds with full camping gear should improve noticeably.
post #29 of 56 Old 08-21-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
There are two street bikes in my garage: CBR250R and BMW F800GT.

The GT is the smallest, lightest bike I could find that mimics the CBR's light handling characteristics but is capable of relaxed, long-distance highway riding. I don't really need the maximum power that it can deliver, but I do find it useful in passing situations on two-lane roads. It's really like lighting a rocket when you twist the throttle.

I think I will always keep the 250. In fact, I rode it to work today and I really enjoyed just how small and light it feels. It always amazes me just how swiftly it handles corners.
How's the front fork on the F800GT though? The forks on my F800s was pretty bad, had a little tankslapper once which somehow sorted itself out.

Somehow I find the CBR250r to be a better designed bike...
Having a sturdier kickstand, the plastics don't squeak and moan then being pushed about, less vibey even for a single.
Even the stock fork on the CBR (which I didn't really like) didn't cause me as big a problem compared to the F800s.

Or maybe it's just me comparing the second girlfriend (the BMW) to the first girlfriend (CBR250r)
post #30 of 56 Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
This last page of the thread has really gone off the rails... the discussion topic is supposed to be about 'buyer demographics'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page