CBR250R Buyer Demographic? - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 AM

I'm 49 and would like the CBR 250 to be my first bike. Based one what I read around this forum, I'd probably want to keep it forever. When I joined this forum I expected it would be a bunch of kids (nothing against you kids) but was happily surprised to find older and experienced riders posting here as well.

I believe that smaller bikes help new riders learn better and are more forgiving of some mistakes. I also think they may be less intimidating and as a result just more fun than a larger bike would be to a new rider. I inherited a BMW R1200 which just sits in my garage (I know, that's a shame) but man does that bike feel huge! I took the MSF on a 150 and had a blast. No fear, no "oh carp" moments. I went to the Honda dealer and sat on the CBR and it just felt right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage^ View Post
How's the front fork on the F800GT though?
I think it's outstanding. The bike comes with a factory fork brace over the front mudguard, whereas I had to add one to the CBR to improve front suspension stability when cornering on rough pavement.

The engine is very vibey, but that's a parallel twin for you. It doesn't cause me any discomfort or ill effects like numb hands. To be honest I don't even think about it while riding. I just enjoy the bottom-end torque and the top-end power.

The steering has a dampener on it; I don't know if that was added later on as a running improvement or not. You do have to take care to adjust the rear suspension preload for your weight and cargo weight.

With the GT, it is often necessary to adapt the ergos to your particular body type. It was made for a person about 5'-10" (1,8m) tall and about 180 lbs. (82kg). If you are shorter or taller than that, you will likely want to change some things (bars up/back, pegs down, windshield up, etc.) and probably fit a more comfortable seat. I have put on all the necessary bits and the bike is now extremely comfortable for me.

For me, it's not an either/or between the CBR and the GT. They are both tools that I use for different purposes. They both have their strengths in their assigned missions and weaknesses once you go outside their proper application envelope.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stichill For This Useful Post:
Mage^ (08-21-2015)
post #33 of 56 Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM

I am 53. I have been riding since 1973 ( Honda Mini trail). Have had 15+ bikes. All makes and styles. The CBR250R is a near perfect blend. I know that personal preferences are just that...personal. This bike just fits my style. Light weight, comfortable, maneuverable, performance, simple, good on gas, cheap insurance and looks. For me, a winning combination. While I like many other bikes, I don't want or need anything different.

post #34 of 56 Old 03-06-2016, 05:19 PM

In total agreement with Oldguy50+, in that the CBR250R is a winning combination. I am 60+ and used to ride fast way back in the 70s on my RD400, despite the terrible upright riding position. I was glad to get off it after about 150 miles, whereas the Honda is so ergonomic I feel comfortable all day long despite the stiffness of old age!
shisoshin and oldguy50+ like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 56 Old 03-08-2016, 12:41 AM
mbr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjjeep View Post
I've had this CBR for sale locally for a short time and I was a little surprised by the six people who seem to want it.

NONE have a car, and all need to find a way to come look at it.

NONE are put off by my refusal to let them ride it.

NONE of them have a place to keep it inside. All remarked on the cover that comes with it. Three would plan to keep it on the street.

ALL SIX live with their parents.
I've heard it said that sports bikes attract a lot of [young] people that probably shouldn't be on them, and I think I would concur with that statement.

If I could narrow down the possibilities, however, I would either assume: 1) you would still attract those that shouldn't be on it, but who also couldn't afford a 600 so they're going to settle for the 250, or, 2) you're marketing to beginners who have responsibly taken their MSF and know better than to jump on a 600 right out of the gate.

Better still, you have one (or perhaps two) out of the crowd who are not only teachable, but also exercise a bit of wisdom in discerning between a bike with utility (i.e. 77 mpg commuter) and a bike with flare (i.e. 600+ cc, less economical, 40 mpg, etc).

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the Lord. [Proverbs 21:31]
post #36 of 56 Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 AM

I'm 52, I have a car and a bigger bike, the 250 sleeps in my carport, I 've only a friend who rides the same bike, he's also more than 50 but has no car and no garage, the CBR250R has absolutely no success here in Belgium ("to small and not enough powerful" they says) I don't agree with them, I really enjoy to ride on the country roads with it, a really pleasant bike
Stichill likes this.
post #37 of 56 Old 03-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
to small and not enough powerful" they says
It depends on if your motorcycle is transportation or just a toy.
Are scooters as popular in the big cities around you as they are in UK and Italy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sendler; 03-13-2016 at 09:18 AM.
post #38 of 56 Old 03-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I really enjoy to ride on the country roads with it, a really pleasant bike
post #39 of 56 Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 AM

@sendler: for me it's just a toy

Scooters are not so popular in Belgium than in Italy ou UK, it's a fact
post #40 of 56 Old 03-13-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Scooters are not so popular in Belgium than in Italy ou UK, it's a fact
Belgium seems to have a little more macho culture than other parts of Europe...is that a fair impression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page