Today was the first time I wished I had a bigger bike - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 Old 09-02-2015, 11:36 AM

For most vehicles, getting from 100 to 0 is much faster than going from 0 to 100. Not only that, you have to be in the right gear to be able to accellerate quickly out of situations.
I'd support braking or swerving instead of accelerating out of trouble... because in the many occasions I accelerated out I found myself jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Braking on the other hand...
Well I think maybe I'd much rather end up hoodsurfing rather than underneath someone's car or rear ending someone.

I've 2 bikes now, and so far the larger bike has nearly caused me to crash more times than the CBR.
Really have to be careful with handling all that power and weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage^ View Post
you have to be in the right gear to be able to accellerate quickly out of situations.
I'd support braking or swerving instead of accelerating out of trouble...

Braking on the other hand...
Well I think maybe I'd much rather end up hoodsurfing rather than underneath someone's car or rear ending someone.

I've 2 bikes now, and so far the larger bike has nearly caused me to crash more times than the CBR.
Really have to be careful with handling all that power and weight.
Accelerating or braking depends for me on the differences in speed, in the first case.

If I would cruise, passing bye in very slow mode, which I wouldn't call overtaking, there it may be better to brake.

But in case I'm overtaking, which means at real higher speed as the other vehicle, braking can keep you in, or even bring you back in the area, where the collision can occur.

For bikes it's about 4m longer, as the vehicle, we pass. 2m on every side.
Do the math, intuitive

Note: Swerving is not a either/or option for me. In both cases, braking or accelerating, it is a 'and' option, to one of the other two.
Getting as far to the side, as possible, getting distance between you and the killer. Swerving can get you even the space, to pass the other vehicle, if it comes over in total.
Unlucky it is, in case you are not really overtaking, here in Thailand, it can be, that braking without looking into the mirror first, gets you on the road, too. Someone may just wanted to overtake you

Midgeinc mentioned it.

Here a turning red light just 20m in front means not, to stop straight.
It means you have to check, if someone behind you, in special with a yellow or green plate, or a expensive import car, or a concrete truck, a garbage truck, all kind of busses (mostly yellow plated ;-), a police pickup, a police motorcycle, ....., is still thinking, that the convoy over the red traffic light is still a ongoing process
Short: The first 5 secs of red its mostly still ongoing traffic.
So be carefull, who's behind you.
Knowing, who has green next, helps with the decission.
Also tha mostly motos are the first vehicles coming in the next green phase. Thats why truck/busses alike are not really thinking about braking for red. A moto, they wouldn't, oopsi, dead!
Actually, you should always have an overview. Only disapearing vehicles are safe! Everything, that comes closer, which direction is not important, is a threat!

Someone wrote, honking gets sometimes strange reactions.
Out of my experience, the reactions always are:
No reaction
Stopping of moving into the lane any further
and, (mostly with the drivers here), b/c many really don't know, where in the road they are, who is/was around, how far away they are from the side:
They move back into the other lane, where they started.
That's the best reaction. they 're terrified, it could be a car, they haven't seen

But not for a moto spueaker, of course!

The thing you experience with the bigger bike is so true.
tartan_warrior likes this.

Disclaimer:
Can contain irony and/or sarcasm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 60 Old 09-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Was there a slower vehicle in front of the car you were trying to pass? Why did he try to change lanes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 60 Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Lots of solid information and thought here. I appreciate all the replies.
In response to one of the more commons ones, yes, I should've been quicker to accelerate around the driver. I mean, I thought I was overtaking him at a decent enough rate, but I can't just assume people are aware of my presence.
Also, I believe there was another car a ways ahead of him that he was coming up on, but I can't remember for sure.
I know there was also another car behind him as well. I'm sure they saw the whole thing.
post #25 of 60 Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 PM

^ At the end of the day. A accident was prevented and another lesson was learned mate. We all make mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from them
kfox and rdxj like this.

Take care & ride safe.

2012 Honda CBR 250RAb, Sold.
2013 CBR 600RR, Sold.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, Road. (wife's)
2015 Kawasaki Z300, Road. (wife's)
2014 BMW S1000RR HP4, Road / Flying Machine. (Traded in the wife for it)
post #26 of 60 Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Was there a slower vehicle in front of the car you were trying to pass? Why did he try to change lanes?
I was wondering the same thing. Was there an obstacle ahead in the driver's lane? Was the driver also pulling out to pass slower moving traffic?
post #27 of 60 Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoR View Post
At that kind of speed, acceleration would not be instantaneous for any cc bike, so 600cc or larger cc bike would not have made any difference. From the moment you see someone crossing into your lane to when the vehicle hits you happens in matter of a second. From around 70 mph it takes quite a bit of time to accelerate for any cc bikes. The best course of action, and the fastest, would have been to swerve away or to slow down.

However, if you need a motive to get a larger cc bike, just go for it. You don't have to ride a 250cc bike.
I agree that accelerating into the turning car is not the best option.
However, I do think there are plenty of bikes that could accelerate very hard from 70. My FZ1 could with one downshift and it was not the fastes bike around.
post #28 of 60 Old 09-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverides123 View Post
However, I do think there are plenty of bikes that could accelerate very hard from 70. My FZ1 could with one downshift and it was not the fastes bike around.
What version do you have? I thought FZ1s have ~150HP and use a tamed version of the R1's engine. That's pretty much the top end of the scale if you ask me.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #29 of 60 Old 09-03-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR250R View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Was there an obstacle ahead in the driver's lane? Was the driver also pulling out to pass slower moving traffic?
Guess he's not saying. Many of the motorcycle wrecks and near misses I see being discussed on sport bike forums are at least 50% the fault of the rider himself being impatient or getting in a rush.
CBR250R likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (09-05-2015)
post #30 of 60 Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverides123 View Post
I agree that accelerating into the turning car is not the best option.

My other bike is a MV Agusta, so I know what you mean by strong acceleration. Whereas the Honda would only go from 70 to 90 mph, on other bikes, you can potentially go from 70 to 150+ mph with relative ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page